Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The irony here is that except for parents' faith in God, a child with Hawking's condition would have been aborted. Yet here is this brilliant mind that does not even realize that the faith he denies is the reason he is here.
The majority of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) cases show no genetic link,

Read more: Familial Als | LIVESTRONG.COM

Aside from the above fact, your post is pretty ridiculous.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:15 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Do you honestly think Moses was so dumb that he wrote 2 contradictory stories and put 'em right next to each other?

1 is chronological, 1 isn't. They have different applications. Ancient Hebrew writing wasn't the same style as what you're used to.

Come one man...I think you're intentionally skeptical...but I know you're not dumb.

Nope. It would be the redemption of man for the Glory of God.
Why does your "god" need glory?

Old 12-02-2010, 02:17 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Not at all. I think that Moses had nothing to do with writing the Pentateuch whatsoever.
Of course he did.
Quote:

Nonsense. Both are straightforward chronological narratives. They are, however, written at completely different times by completely different people only later incorporated into the single volume of Genesis as the Pentateuch evolved from a set of diverse documents into the single Torah.
No. They aren't. Re-read them. Chapter 1 is clearly chronological--it lists the days. Chapter 2 isn't. It doesn't mention a timeline.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:17 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Because it didn't take all the dirt to make Adam?

As for the other question about evolution....I think the point could be made that if evolution provided humans with a distinct advantage enabling them to thrive...why didn't the apes die off? Or at least their ancestor that we all supposedly evolved from?
I just came across an interesting story about evolution on CNN. Science has discovered (and grown in the lab) a new species of bacteria. It was found in a lake highly contaminated with arsenic. It's the only known lifeform that uses arsenic as a food source. The bacteria actually has replaced the phosphorus in its DNA with arsenic (as a chemist that blows my mind). It's truly amazing and novel that a new species could evolve that uses this toxin as its lifeforce and to structure its genetic material.

Arsenic-feeding bacteria find expands traditional notions of life - CNN.com

Old 12-02-2010, 02:26 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Of course he did.
You are welcome to believe that. No serious scholar without a sectarian axe to grind would take it seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
No. They aren't. Re-read them. Chapter 1 is clearly chronological--it lists the days. Chapter 2 isn't. It doesn't mention a timeline.
Most chronological narratives do not mention time lines.

Question, Cal. How did Judas die?

Old 12-02-2010, 02:33 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You are welcome to believe that. No serious scholar without a sectarian axe to grind would take it seriously.

Most chronological narratives do not mention time lines.

Question, Cal. How did Judas die?
He hung himself. The theory is that the tree branch broke and he fell, bursting open.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:45 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The irony here is that except for parents' faith in God, a child with Hawking's condition would have been aborted. Yet here is this brilliant mind that does not even realize that the faith he denies is the reason he is here.
Aborted him in his early 20s? Because that's when he started being affected by it. So because you say his parents believe in god, they decided not to retroactively abort him when he was 21.

LOL

Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
He hung himself. The theory is that the tree branch broke and he fell, bursting open.
Where he died, is probably the most ironic tidbit
of that story

Old 12-02-2010, 03:00 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
What a bizarre and fascinating sequence of events!!!! Certainly, a sign of God's righteous judgment !!!

Why doesn't the Bible say that then? Why does it inexplicably divide this powerful moral massage into two different parts and then make them appear to be contradictory?

I gotta tell you. God needs a better editor.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:04 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I just came across an interesting story about evolution on CNN. Science has discovered (and grown in the lab) a new species of bacteria. It was found in a lake highly contaminated with arsenic. It's the only known lifeform that uses arsenic as a food source. The bacteria actually has replaced the phosphorus in its DNA with arsenic (as a chemist that blows my mind). It's truly amazing and novel that a new species could evolve that uses this toxin as its lifeforce and to structure its genetic material.

Arsenic-feeding bacteria find expands traditional notions of life - CNN.com
I am constantly fascinated by nature and living creatures in my line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies