Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I'm not sure its the same but when I was unemployed a few years back you couldn't attend any new school or training if you wanted to get unemployment.
And if this is truly the case then it should serve as a poster child for why government bureaucracies know very little about running social programs productively. How counter productive is it that you can only collect unemployment if you remain looking for a job in what might be a shrinking job sector.

We'll pay you to stay chained to your dead vocation and if you make an attempt to better yourself then we'll cut you off.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:28 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
And if this is truly the case then it should serve as a poster child for why government bureaucracies know very little about running social programs productively. How counter productive is it that you can only collect unemployment if you remain looking for a job in what might be a shrinking job sector.

We'll pay you to stay chained to your dead vocation and if you make an attempt to better yourself then we'll cut you off.
One of the questions you had to fill out on the forms every two weeks was "Did you start attending any school or job training program" if you said yes then they cut you off. Stupid, but they literally have tons of stupid rules like that to try to get out of paying people the insurance they paid into.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
At some point, these people need to use the system that was designed for this circumstance, and go on Welfare. Unemployment was not designed to last three years, who is paying the unemployment money??? How can we create jobs with three years of unemployment?
Unemployment isn't lasting three years, the max is still 99 weeks.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Another thing I would like to add is that you can get training in an understaffed industry, like nursing, while on UE. These 99ers could have looked into going to school while unemployed. The nursing field always has a shortage, for example. An RN program (ADN) takes 2 years if you enter with no previous college. Other courses like CNA, PCT, MA, med tech, phlebotomy and LPN take one year or less (CNA takes like 6 weeks). If these people would look at the fields that are still seeing gains in employment and get some training, they might have a job sooner than if they did nothing but sit around while collecting UE. And since they're unemployed, they would have the level of income that could afford them a Pell grant so the argument that school costs money goes right out the window.
Most nursing schools are notoriously difficult to even get into, partially due to lack of qualified instructors. Nursing schools have long waiting lists.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:01 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Most nursing schools are notoriously difficult to even get into, partially due to lack of qualified instructors. Nursing schools have long waiting lists.

Not to mention, hospitals are laying off as well due to cuts.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to blame bureaucrats as much as I would blame those legislators who have built whole careers out of demonizing the poor by legislating away any real and meaningful assistance to the to the poor, the unemployed and the underemployed.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:11 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Not to mention, hospitals are laying off as well due to cuts.
More excuses.

If you want something bad enough, you can do it. I explored nursing school before we moved and yes, it's competitive, but I'm not specifically just referring to RN or LPN programs here, I thought I made that clear but I guess not. There is a nursing shortage, however, and pay is good for those who can make it through an LPN or RN program. Also, with the boomers reaching old age soon, that field will be growing exponentially, nursing and all related occupations.

My point, since everyone seems to want to pick instead of face the facts, is that bettering yourself through any type of education is possible and is recommended if you're in a dead-end job or if you lack any skills that will open up new employment possibilities. If you're on UE, it's a great time to go back to school. Find a way out of your situation instead of accepting it.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
More excuses.

If you want something bad enough, you can do it. I explored nursing school before we moved and yes, it's competitive, but I'm not specifically just referring to RN or LPN programs here, I thought I made that clear but I guess not. There is a nursing shortage, however, and pay is good for those who can make it through an LPN or RN program. Also, with the boomers reaching old age soon, that field will be growing exponentially, nursing and all related occupations.

My point, since everyone seems to want to pick instead of face the facts, is that bettering yourself through any type of education is possible and is recommended if you're in a dead-end job or if you lack any skills that will open up new employment possibilities. If you're on UE, it's a great time to go back to school. Find a way out of your situation instead of accepting it.

Typical you would confuse FACTs or DIFFERING OPINIONS as an excuse to your typical rant. If you have a problem with adults commenting or disagreeing with your comments, don't make them. You really need to grow up

Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
You can. Or at least you can do it if you fly below the radar, I don't know the legalities of it but I've seen it with my own two eyes. It happens, you can rest assured on that.
Where on earth do you get your information?

You're quite right though that you "don't know the legalities of it".

In most states, you cannot collect UI and be attending school full time. Perhaps you've seen it with "your own eyes" in one of the few states that has ways around that. Do you live in Oregon? Oregon passed something a year or so ago to the effect that people could continue collecting benefits after enrolling in school....but I don't think that's widespread in the U.S.

Your comment about "flying under the radar" could be construed as a suggestion that people lie to collect UI, by the way.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
This sounds more like a victim mentality to me. Poor college students can't work b/c they have 60-70 hours a week of study. Booohoooooo. ""

DUH!!!! I NEVER said they were college students! WHERE, SHOW ME WHERE I posted THAT?

....They are people in their 40's and 50's who were LAID OFF , they did NOT quit.

AND they do NOT work or their schooling (Free,Thank You Obama) would end.

Victims? My Aunt Fanny! THEY are the tough brave ones who are doing something to GET another job and YOU say they have a victim mentality! They are adults with families to support AS THEY STUDY 60 to 70 hours a week...

""Um, wrong. The average college student takes 12 credits (read: hours per week) of class. They say to account for study time, multiply that number by three. So you get 36 hours per week that people devote to school. There are 168 hours in a week and assuming 8 hours of sleep per day, you get 76 more hours that you can do whatever with. You could work 40 hours a week, go to school, sleep 8 hours/day and still have time left over to do errands, clean, cook and hang with family. Don't tell me it's not possible. I have done it and so have so many others. And why does it have to be a two year commitment? Nobody said you have to go get an AA or AAS and nobody said you had to finish a bachelor's after you already have an AA. What about tech programs? Many of those are 30-40 hours/week and only last a few months, a year at most for many.

So why am I a smug ignorant jerk b/c I have a dumb family member who is working the system? How does that reflect on me?? I call it like I see it, no more, no less. It has nothing to do with me.

Please stop trying to bring religion into it. You're really turning me off with all the spouting off about Christians, it makes you look like you're not credible, you're just some windbag trying to get at Christians at every turn. """

As long as "christians" keep trying to claim this country I will bring them up whenever I FEEL like it...what, a little conscience problem???

""""Might I add that you libs love to say how the Bush cuts added no jobs. Just like Obama says how many jobs were saved through the stimulus. You can't have it both ways. """

Don't know what one has to do with the other except that Bush claimed giving a huge tax break to his base would create jobs...FACT: They didn't.

'''You're missing the point. It's not about getting rich off UE. It's about getting by. People have settled into this kind of lifestyle of not working but still being able to pay bills. What incentive do they have to work? Pray tell. The people who truly are trying to get off UE do, they will not settle for getting UE checks for 99 weeks because they know something better is out there. It's the ones who are willing to settle that are the problem, and it's becoming more commonplace to see this.
So YOU know ONE person who's willing to "settle" and you judge them all by that one person who is CLOSE to YOU.......

Like I say, I see and know a much higher class of people....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies