Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Unemployment benefits be repaid???
YES 32 31.68%
NO 57 56.44%
DEPENDS 12 11.88%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I don't know how they keep track of it, but I do know when I applied and got UE, I had a cut-off after xxxx amount of dollars. There must be a system they use to determine how much one gets and for how long. I see your point for those that have worked 10,20, or 30 + years, but one would think after working somewhere for that many years that they would have a retirement fund already set up and not have to depend on unemployment if it came to that.
The thing I disagree with is those that are collecting UE, and are making more than what they would be if they found a job, even if it's a low paying job, therefore many are discouraged to find work because being on UE simply pays more.
I guess for some taking a handout over earning it honestly isn't a problem.

In a perfect world, one would believe that worst comes to worst you could live off your pension, this is a misconception. My friends father worked for the same company for 30 years and was just layed off, he's only 59 years old.
The job market is not kind at all to someone pushing 60 who's only experience within 3 decades has been as a machinist. Yes he has a pension, BUT how far do you believe that would take someone who is maybe 8 years away from retirement age? If he goes through all of his pension now, what will he do once he does reach the retirement age? Now don't get me wrong, he is looking for work, his father has even gone the extra step by taking some classes in HVAC.

Its not an easy transition or a easy pill to take for those middle class who were use to making $60K - $80K per year, who were tax payers and are now collect unemployment checks totalling maybe $24K. Then to have to be called lazy and belittled by Ignorant folks who (not directed at you) because they have not found employment quick enough to suite those who are lucky enough to still be employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 04:31 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think we should allow people to collect without penalty up until they exhuast what they have paid in. After that point they can be given the option of treating it as a loan. If over the course of the working life they take more than they paid in there will be a balance due. The state can then collect the balance through treating it as a low interest loan. If upon death there is a balance it can be collected from the estate.

So let me understand this. You recommendation is that the tax payers should pay back the Government with interest for unemployment benefits which in many cases it is the Government that contributed (by neglect or failure) to the reason for the unemployment? But forgive the tax dollars with interest that this same Government ship to other countries? And lets not forget the tax breaks given to U.S companies that ship jobs outside of the U.S? You do not see anything wrong with that?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I say no. Isn't there an unemployment insurance tax people pay? I know a state unemployment insurance tax comes out of my paycheck, but I don't think a federal one does :-/ If I ever needed it, I would feel entitled to it because it comes out of my check now.
Oh, my. Everyone feels entitled to everything, don't they? FUTA and SUTA are paid by employers, not by employees. And it's a good thing, b/c then nobody would ever feel like finding another job when they get laid off, based on your logic.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Should those receiving the unemployment extensions be made to pay them back at some point in time. Maybe not pay all of it back, but some percentage?

YES?

NO?

DEPENDS?

Please explain your reasons!!
Yes, although that would have to be something new that is enacted, it can't be put on the people who are currently unemployed (or at least not retroactively).

Maybe a percentage. Maybe all of it with interest. Maybe interest-free. Treat it like a student loan perhaps? I have never thought about this topic so I don't have any well-thought out answers, but the current system of "Sit on your butt and falsify docs stating you're looking for work and we'll pay you hundreds each week for months or even years on end!" does NOT work. It does not incentivize a return to work which is a major problem. It screws employers who are paying unemployment taxes for the long-term...which in turn does not encourage them to hire more employees, which further fuels the unemployment problem.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I think it would over time. You have to remember, it's all about competition, and as soon as enough employers start adding that little bit more to an employee offer, others will have to follow.
No, it's not "all about competition"; there are many other factors as well. This econ 101 stuff doesn't always work in practice the way it's supposed to in theory. You could just as rightly say that as soon as enough employers pay less and still get people to work for them, others will follow. There is nothing any employer "has" to do except follow the law.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
So let me understand this. You recommendation is that the tax payers should pay back the Government with interest for unemployment benefits which in many cases it is the Government that contributed (by neglect or failure) to the reason for the unemployment? But forgive the tax dollars with interest that this same Government ship to other countries? And lets not forget the tax breaks given to U.S companies that ship jobs outside of the U.S? You do not see anything wrong with that?
What is a tax break a company gets for jobs overseas? Link, please. This is such a misnomer. The problem is the high taxes on corporations within the country, they move operations offshore to avoid these taxes. It's not that they get a tax BREAK for offshore ops.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Hard to believe that in this "christian" nation some really nasty people want the unemployed to have further suffering in the form of paying back something they earned....something that they desperately needed to buy food, keep their house, heat their house, in other words, live.

Do these nasty people really take such delight in the suffering of others?

Do they really think that those unemployed who magically get a job will then have such high wages that paying off unemploment will be easy?(bet these same people believe everyone should work for minimum wage)

Do they think that putting people further in debt will help the economy? If they do they are dopes.

If they think that millions of Americans are unemployed through their own fault...they are dopes.

If they think that losing your job is one big happy vacation...they are dopes.

No, no one should have to AGAIN pay the price for an economic collapse that wasn't their fault.

The unemployed ALREADY are paying for bailing out the uber-wealthy (and we all will) .....they should pay AGAIN!???

NO.
I don't take delight in it. I take delight in pwning people like you who believe all welfare recipients, UE beneficiaries included, are all 100% doing it for the "right" reasons, like that they truly cannot find one single job that will let them earn their keep.

Anyway, do you propose that anytime someone gets into a jam, we should bail them out for years on end? Provide food, housing, cash assistance and the luxuries that affords, cell phone, medical care and who knows what else? Where is the motivation to get back on one's feet when someone else will always pick you up and "help" you on your way? It's a poverty cycle, as many have mentioned, that traps the "'less fortunate."

Those on UE are no different than the rest of the moochers who don't earn their own way. To a certain point, yes, I believe someone who is laid off should get a bit of a hand up. But 99 weeks of checks and other handouts is ridiculous. Don't you see that getting at least a percentage of UE on credit will force people to go get work much sooner than just sitting back and waiting until their benefits almost run out?

I say the first 4 weeks free. Then you start having to pay it back. After 6 months, you pay ALL of it back, with interest. I do NOT buy into the lie that so many libs believe, that these people are so down on their luck, they're being forced out of their homes, can't put food on the table, their children are suffering, blah blah blah. Go work at McDonald's, Walmart, a gas station and pay your own darn way.

And what does being a Christian have to do with anything?

And how about "putting people further into debt"? Which people? The people paying for the UE benefits (i.e., business owners who can then not afford to hire more people)? The gov't for handing out more money than it can afford and getting money from China?

Many people are in fact unemployed b/c they refuse to work for a job "below them" or they refuse to settle for less pay than when they were working. You get a menial job to tide yourself over until you can get a "better" job.

When you fall, you pick yourself up and keep going. You might limp a little, you may have some dirt on you, but you KEEP GOING. Eventually you can get all the dirt brushed off and your limp will heal. It builds character and self-respect, something that is sorely lacking in this country these days.
I have no response to your inane closing statement other than that you have it absolutely backward.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I vote No....Once We the tax payers receive payback for the two wars, maybe then I would consider asking family and friends that are now unemployed to pay back money that is rightfully theirs.
How is it rightfully theirs?? Yet another poster with an entitlement complex.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I don't know how they keep track of it, but I do know when I applied and got UE, I had a cut-off after xxxx amount of dollars. There must be a system they use to determine how much one gets and for how long. I see your point for those that have worked 10,20, or 30 + years, but one would think after working somewhere for that many years that they would have a retirement fund already set up and not have to depend on unemployment if it came to that.
The thing I disagree with is those that are collecting UE, and are making more than what they would be if they found a job, even if it's a low paying job, therefore many are discouraged to find work because being on UE simply pays more.
I guess for some taking a handout over earning it honestly isn't a problem.
It's based on past earnings. There is a cap on payout per week and duration and it depends on the state's rules about it. You supposedly have to prove you're looking for work but that's a sham and with all the people claiming, how can they possible check it all?

Y'all are forgetting that WE do not pay into FUTA or SUTA, our employers do!! Nobody is entitled to UE, nobody earned it and nobody should make it a way of life for two+ years. If you honestly have 10, 20 or 30 years of job experience in one industry, it shouldn't be that hard to find another job using those same skills, unless your skill has lived out its useful life.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
If he goes through all of his pension now, what will he do once he does reach the retirement age? Now don't get me wrong, he is looking for work, his father has even gone the extra step by taking some classes in HVAC.
He does what a lot of older people do, he gets a part-time job. If he gets it now, he can live off his earnings plus a small part of his pension, which makes the pension last longe. He cuts back on his spending habits. It's good that he's taking some classes, that will open up the job market some. HVAC is tough work for an older person, though, but the point is that classes of any kind can help you out. Good for him. Now if everyone would have that same mentality....

ETA: Taking classes should not be considered an "extra step." If you can't make it with the skills you have (which is preposterous--almost anyone can work in customer service), learn new ones. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies