Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Unemployment benefits be repaid???
YES 32 31.68%
NO 57 56.44%
DEPENDS 12 11.88%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times

Advertisements

Depends. If the unemployed person isn't bothering to look for work, then they should pay it back. If the person refuses a job offer, then they should pay it back. I actually read about someone who refused an offer for a job that paid $20 an hour because they are used to make $30. I would LOVE TO HAVE a job that pays $20 an hour!!!

If the person is looking hard for work, hasn't refused a job offer, and is having a hard time finding a job(i.e.: Many are in this situation in this CRAPPY ECONOMY.) then, they should be able keep their unemployment checks without paying it back.

Otherwise, I am more in favor of a workfare type program for the unemployed where the unemployed work on projects in their community to keep receiving their unemployment checks. With all the budget cuts at the state and local governments there is so much work to be done. Libraries need help sorting books and reading to kids, low income kids need tutoring, bridges need repaired, graffiti needs cleaned up in some communities, parks need more flowers and benches, city pools need repaired and cleaned, state parks need help. Why not have the unemployed work in these areas? This would help the unemployed develop relationships that could lead to a potential job, develop new skills, investigate career opportunities, and add recommendations to make them stand out in a crowd of applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 04:05 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
YOU are not paying anything. You are benefiting from your past employer(s) setting aside money for you in case they lay you off due to no fault of your own.
NO the employee pays in too.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
I doubt people can ever repay them. Why bother. It's like asking the bum on the street for your $5 donation you gave last year... won't happen.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:38 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Sure - whenever welfare recipients are made to pay back the benefits THEY'VE received.............

Let me know when that will be..........
!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:05 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
NO the employee pays in too.
47 out of 50 states do not require employees to pay in to SUTA.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's not much of an assistance program if you have to pay it back. Where do some people get these ideas?
Gee, I dunno... Maybe when people are on it for 3 years.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:09 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
How do you go from someone working as a Machinist for 30 years to working in customer service.
Do you want fries with that? What's to learn. I just taught you half the job.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
It doesn't matter if you pay for it, or your employer pays it on your behalf. It is still insurance. If you go out and wreck your car, would your insurance pay for it? If so, do you think you should have to pay them back? You might end up paying a little bit of it back in the form of higher premiums. Just the same, the employers who put people out of work will pay higher unemployment insurance taxes.
It's not a matter of "putting people out of work." People who get fired oftentimes still are able to collect. Sometimes businesses fold even through no fault of their own...it's not like they WANT to lay people off.

As to the first point, I pay my premiums for car insurance. Not the insurance company. If I wreck my car, my premiums will likely go up (well, mine won't, b/c I have Allstate Accident Forgiveness ) also, like you said. Of course you don't pay them back, but I do pay much more in premiums than I will ever get in return if I wreck my car. The same does not apply to UI. Your argument is a strawman.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:12 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Should those receiving the unemployment extensions be made to pay them back at some point in time. Maybe not pay all of it back, but some percentage?

YES?

NO?

DEPENDS?

Please explain your reasons!!
That's like saying if I don't have a kid then I can get refunds on part of my tax that went into the education system. Oh no, I don't drive a car so refund me the tax that went into building the freeway. ****, I didn't get breast cancer; refund me the tax that went into breast cancer research.

Ever heard of taxes?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I see your on your ignorant rant again. In the state of NJ, WE pay into unemployment insurance. You call it entitlement complex we call it paying for insurance, you do understand the concept of paying for insurance?
You again, trying to personally attack me. Doesn't that get old?

Do YOU understand that many people who are unemployed ARE in fact not working b/c they don't feel like it? I wish there were stats on this so I could prove to you that which you refuse to see on your own.

YOU might pay into UI b/c you live in one of three states that require employees to pay. The vast majority of states' UI are paid by the employer, not the employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies