Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:05 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,473,489 times

Advertisements

I take after my dear loved late Father. I tip when i feel a tipster is warranted, for extremely good service. And i don't tip, if the service, is anything but deserving of a tip. If i am in the mood when i see a tip jar, it depends on the store, and the jar that the charity is. Breast Cancer is one that i would.

I do believe that tipping has gotten way out of control and so out of hand. I am so stupid, i just recently found out about tipping furntiure delivery people, i never knew they were suppose to get tipped, till i read it online, and some friends and furniture people told me that yes, their delivery people expect to get tipped. Dummy me never knew this until last year.

I feel like this, if you wish to tip tip, if you don't then you don't and not everyone can afford to tip these days, i feel that no tip is better then barely a tip at all.

The way it is today, you can expect to tip for just about anything, and yes this does get out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,211,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I tip: the waiter/waitress, pizza delivery person, my hairdresser. That's it.
Those are the only service people you need to tip, with maybe one or two exceptions. I do 10% for waitstaff unless the service is great or excellent in which case they get 20%-30%.

Delivery people I don't really tip rather I let them keep the change since I pay in cash because only moron would 19.8% interest on a pizza.

I tip hairdressers and hair stylists, but not hair cutters, like the idiots at Bo-Rics and places like that. When I say I don't know how I want my hair cut, they ought to offer suggestions instead of standing there like a cow chewing cud, but I solved that problem by not patronizing them any more, since they're incompetent and lack any real talent anyway. A real hairdresser I will tip, especially if the shock the crap out of me.

I get my shoes shined about twice a year and tip the shoe-shine man as well.

I don't go to Starsucks because they suck, but if I see tip jars sitting out I don't ever go back. That's the best way to express displeasure.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:52 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,593,056 times
I don't tip on pizza if there's a delivery charge. I know for a fact the delivery person gets a large percentage of that charge, so I consider that the tip.

I don't tip if all I'm doing is getting a drink (unless it's at a bar). I don't tip at fast food.

At Christmas, I don't tip my postman, regardless of what some Yahoo article tells me I should - hell, he's got a better retirement plan than I do. I don't tip the garbageman, the maid at the hotel, the front desk clerk, the barber, the paper delivery person, my dog groomer, the gardener, the UPS guy, the skycap at the airport, etc. I don't care what some "manners consultant" in New York tells me I should do.

When I lived in New York, I would always make a point to take care of my doorman, but that's because he always made a point to take care of me. There's some quid pro quo there. All he ever HAD to do was hail cabs and open doors for me. What he DID do included hauling packages up to my apartment, getting concert tickets for me, making late night food runs for me, etc. I tip my masseuse because I don't feel she charges enough. I tip concierge services when I go to Vegas or New York because if I approach them, it's because I have something unusual which caused me to request their services. I don't tip the bellhop - that's what he's there for.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:17 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,789,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Then just don't do it. It's that simple.

But keep in mind that because of the tax structure on certain jobs, the employees that you stiff are being taxed on the money that you're keeping in your pocket.
Why is that? Tips are not taxed, here at least. Tips are like Christmas presents. Whether or not someone gets a tip does not matter in terms of taxation.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
I'm not tipping someone for doing their job.

I mean, why wouldn't every single person you deal with every single day not deserve a tip then? Your mechanic, the cop who gave you a ticket, your dentist, the guy who sold you a pack of smokes, etc, etc, etc?

I mean, isn't it your job to do the best effin' job you can every day you work? No matter what your job is? That's my philosophy. That's what I do...and guess what? I don't get tipped. Doing a good job, to me, is not about the money. It's about integrity and professionalism.

I tip large and often to waitstaff, people who come work at my house, my hairdresser, etc...but it's not a damn entitlement.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:34 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,090,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I don't tip on pizza if there's a delivery charge. I know for a fact the delivery person gets a large percentage of that charge, so I consider that the tip.

I don't tip if all I'm doing is getting a drink (unless it's at a bar). I don't tip at fast food.

At Christmas, I don't tip my postman, regardless of what some Yahoo article tells me I should - hell, he's got a better retirement plan than I do. I don't tip the garbageman, the maid at the hotel, the front desk clerk, the barber, the paper delivery person, my dog groomer, the gardener, the UPS guy, the skycap at the airport, etc. I don't care what some "manners consultant" in New York tells me I should do.

When I lived in New York, I would always make a point to take care of my doorman, but that's because he always made a point to take care of me. There's some quid pro quo there. All he ever HAD to do was hail cabs and open doors for me. What he DID do included hauling packages up to my apartment, getting concert tickets for me, making late night food runs for me, etc. I tip my masseuse because I don't feel she charges enough. I tip concierge services when I go to Vegas or New York because if I approach them, it's because I have something unusual which caused me to request their services. I don't tip the bellhop - that's what he's there for.
At places where the delivery driver gets a percentage of the charge, it's usually only half, so the driver averages maybe .75-$1 a run (most places only charge a couple of bucks for delivery). Not all places give the driver a portion of the charge either; many drivers work solely for tips, just like waitstaff. Plus they are responsible for their own gas and the maintenance of their vehicles.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:15 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,593,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
At places where the delivery driver gets a percentage of the charge, it's usually only half, so the driver averages maybe .75-$1 a run (most places only charge a couple of bucks for delivery). Not all places give the driver a portion of the charge either; many drivers work solely for tips, just like waitstaff. Plus they are responsible for their own gas and the maintenance of their vehicles.
Then perhaps they should demand their employer stop stealing their money, because that's what that delivery charge is to me.

Sorry, but I'm ordering a pizza. I'm not ordering a pizza PLUS paying the driver's hourly wage for the employer PLUS giving the driver a tip. I'll do two out of three, but that's it.

Since pizza delivery boys make about 7.50 an hour, and a delivery charge is like 2.50 these days, that means that if the driver makes 3 deliveries an hour (which should be simple), that means the pizza company is actually GETTING PAID to have the driver on staff if it's hogging all the delivery fees. That's something for the drivers to discuss with their bosses, not for me to subsidize.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,833,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why is that? Tips are not taxed, here at least. Tips are like Christmas presents. Whether or not someone gets a tip does not matter in terms of taxation.
Guess what. It varies by state, but tips are taxed. Not sure what state you live in but even right to work states have some sort of taxation on the tips. That's only for food service staff, though...not sure how it's handled in the case of hairdressers and others.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,789,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Guess what. It varies by state, but tips are taxed. Not sure what state you live in but even right to work states have some sort of taxation on the tips. That's only for food service staff, though...not sure how it's handled in the case of hairdressers and others.
How can it be taxed when it never shows up in any documents? At least in most parts of Europe we just leave coins (and even bills) on the table in a restaurant or we slip them right into the hairdresser's apron pocket.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:18 AM

30,120 posts, read 18,730,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This weekend, I noticed two ridiculous examples of pandering for tips. The Starbucks drive-thru had a tip container built into the cashier window. Okay, they already charge a ridiculous amount of money for coffee and they expect a tip on top of that? I paid $8 for two grande coffees and they want a tip too? What do they do that is any different than a Taco Bell worker? In fact, the Taco Bell worker does more work. The Starbucks worker simply pours some coffee into a cup, some non-fat milk and a pump of peppermint flavor from a plastic container and that warrants $1-2 in tips?

The second example is at Pappa Johns pizza. At Pappa John, they had a tip cup for people carrying out pizza. If you order delivery, you are required to pay a Delivery Charge and are expected to tip the Driver. So when I pick up pizza, I'm supposed to tip too now? Well helI, why don't I just tip the guy at Wendys who makes my burger while I'm at it or how about cashier at Wal-Mart for bagging my merchandise.

Tipping is ridiculous. When I went to pick up my pizza, I wrote a big fat zero with a line crossed through it indicating no tip and the cashier gave me a dirty look. Don't pander to these people by tipping them. I'm a great tipper when it is warranted (dining in a restaurant) but unnecessary tipping leads to more unnecessary tipping. For example at a hotel, you can end up broke tipping people (the person who opens your cab door, the person who takes your luggage to the room, the maids, and when you leave the hotel to venture into the city, you are supposed to tip the person who calls your cab and then the person who then opens your cab door. I understand tipping the bell hop who brings your luggage to the room but why do I need to tip someone for opening a cab door, I can do that on my own, I don't need to give you $2-$3 for doing that.

You should tip generously when it is warranted and when someone has gone out of their way to provide good service. But mindless tipping is unwarranted and sets a poor precedent. According to Judith Martin, the infamous "Miss Manners" and authority on etiquette, you are not expected to tip for picking up food because several costs are built into a food item. For example, restaurant food includes not only the price of the food itself but also the accoutrements involved with the restaurant such as the furniture, ambience (music, scene of the ocean etc) yet when carrying out food, you are not receiving any of those services yet are paying for it so it is not customary to tip in these cases.

I agree. Drive up and carry out tipping is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies