Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 06:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A federal judge declared the Obama administration's health care law unconstitutional Monday, siding with Virginia's attorney general in a dispute that both sides agree will ultimately be decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.
U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson is the first federal judge to strike down the law, which has been upheld by two others in Virginia and Michigan. Several other lawsuits have been dismissed and others are pending, including one filed by 20 other states in Florida.

Associated Press

And the legal battle continues
This may sound strange but as a LIBERAL I hope to hell it does get struck down. I think that will hasten the day that we get a TRUE public universal health system in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:28 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
profit driven or not, the reason it costs money is because SOMEONE needs to make a LIVING off of it

you do realize that there is a person who makes/(controls the machine), that makes gauze...he needs to get paid

you do realize when you go to the doctor for a visit the $90 is not just going into his pocket for his yachts...he has to PAY property taxes, a lease/rent/mortgage, THE ELECTRIC COMPANY..his nurse/medical biller/receptionist, the SUPPLIES that are in the office, the EQUIPMENT in his office..all before he even pays himself

you say remove the profit...so are you advocating that doctors, nurses, ALL MEDICAL MANUFACTURING should ONLY be paid $1/hr because that will lower the profit

people out there cry that medicine is too expensive...yet they have no prolem paying $700 for an I-phone....go figure
I have no problem with people making a decent salary and no problem with an individual making a profit for themselves. But the motivation behind the medical establishment is profit, nothing else. If we wanted to cure something, there would have been actual progress against muscular dystrophy by now and Jerry Lewis could retire the Labor Day telethon. With all the hundreds of billions being poured into this industry, can you tell me the last time they found a cure for ANYTHING? A cure cuts into their business' bottom line.

Did you know the American Medical Association (AMA) was created to protect the business interests of medical professionals? Yet, mention the AMA to anybody and they'll think that their opinions are valuable to them. The AMA protects doctors from anyone else taking away their business. Of course, their 'research' will conclude what they want it to conclude.

Pharmaceutical companies are in it for the profit to such a degree, they will invent a disorder just to find a market for their product.

The rape of this noble profession by corporatism is nearly complete. It should not require that we pay and arm and leg just to keep our arms and legs. There's no reason why an anesthesiologist should be making $400K and the dispensation of a single aspirin in a hospital to cost $100. If medical professionals have to take a pay cut, I would feel for them the same way I feel about sports figures who have to sign less lucrative contracts because the stadiums are looking pretty empty in these depressing times.

I loved your last comment. Yeah, it is ridiculous that we 'need' expensive electronics. Electronics are being used against us in a very destructive way, but that is for another thread...

Old 12-13-2010, 06:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Just because I refuse to buy insurance and I undestand how they make money, and chose to operate in the same manner to self insure, doesnt make me not responsible. Maybe you should educate yourself on the same and you wouldnt look so foolish, especially considering no one has ever paid for my medical bills and ever will other than myself
You're pursuing a very foolish and irresponsible course; don't blame me if it blows up in your face, and you wind up owing hundreds of thousands of dollars..

And you have the gaul to complain about others who are seeking benefits through the new healthcare bill; your credibility is shot--null and void..

Fighting tooth and nail against doing the responsible thing--nothing short of hypocrisy..

Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
If Canada would let me in, I would gladly move. I think this country is going down the tubes.
The country is going down the tubes precisely because you and millions of others don't want to be here for the hard stuff. It's also the motivation for why so many want to move here: to escape responsibility for their lot in life.

Don't let the current system take away your voice and your power so easily. I urge you to stay and add weight to the side that will win by offering the best solutions.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:42 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
It's attitudes like this, that make doctor's wonder if Medicine is really worth it. It is not the doctors getting RICH, but
the pharmaceutical companies, administrators, and insurance companies. Your anger is misdirected

My uncle is a Pediatric Cardiologist and he said about 75% of his fellow doctors are not interested in patient care but are mainly doing it for the financial rewards. Takes one to know one.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
....... If we all had the same plan Single Payer then there would be no refusal of service based on $$$$ and many people who would otherwise lose their life over this nonsense, would LIVE.

If there was a standard price FOR DR VISITS and we all had the same health care plan this would not be an issue.

My Father died because of this bull. He was a patient at a hospital and he almost died from pnuemonia. The Large hospital had to admit him as he was not breathing. He had numerous previous health issues and was on a ventilator for weeks. After 4 months in the hospital he was ready to transfer somewhere. He was a fall risk, no rehab center would take him because he had a C-pap machine to breath at night but no one qualified would accept him for the money Medicaid was offerring to pay, so the hospital removed both the fall risk status (even though he had absolutely NO Ball and socket in his hip...X-rays were taken, and he was definitely a fall risk) AND they removed the C-pap status, JUST so he could be sent to a nursing home INSTEAD of a rehab center.

Unfortunately for him, he was STILL a fall risk even though they "removed" that status. He fell 5 times at the nursing home, the 5th time he broke his leg. He had a full cast and 4 weeks later he was dead from a fat embolism caused by the break. They had taken him off blood thinners 2 weeks after that but since the staff at the nursing home was not able to help transfer him from bed to wheelchair with the cast on, he ended up with an embolism that killed him.

HE DIED BECAUSE OF THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM IS A PIECE OF ****. If we had Single Payer this would NOT happen because there would be NO DENYING rehab centers admittance for patients who medically NEED IT.

You people speak in theories and grand ideas and cheapskate lingo.

I speak FROM EXPERIENCE with the health care system. When I refused to take my father home because he was a fall risk and I was unable to transfer him 6 times a day, they threatened to leave him ON MY PORCH. SERIOUSLY! This was the administration at a 600 bed Hospital. They could not get him a Dr. to see him once he was released so why on earth was I going to accept responsibility for someone who had severe medical needs that needed to be addressed. The hospital found a way around that and it cost him his life.

sorry for your loss...

but it would have been worse with single payer

Quote:
If there was a standard price FOR DR VISITS and we all had the same health care plan this would not be an issue.
oh yeah a standard price

so the quack doctor gets the same as the best doctor

that will go over real well in utopia

Old 12-13-2010, 08:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You're pursuing a very foolish and irresponsible course; don't blame me if it blows up in your face, and you wind up owing hundreds of thousands of dollars..
Clearly you are math challenged and dont understand the effect of compounded interest and the time value of money. Investing insurance premiums on your own rather than replying upon an insurance company to do it for you, yields over $1M to pay medical bills with everthing left not spend being able to be passed onto your estate. I'll gladly take the hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills while you sit and die broke.
Quote:
And you have the gaul to complain about others who are seeking benefits through the new healthcare bill; your credibility is shot--null and void..

Fighting tooth and nail against doing the responsible thing--nothing short of hypocrisy..
Tell me how relying up government is "the responsible thing"? I cant wait to hear your spining on this pos. Where is the hypocracy in investing rather than spending?

I know.. you dont get the difference do you? Foolish people like you actually think insurance companies earn their money from insurance profits. Dont you? Do you have a darn clue how insurance companies earn profits?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:28 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Clearly you are math challenged and dont understand the effect of compounded interest and the time value of money. Investing insurance premiums on your own rather than replying upon an insurance company to do it for you, yields over $1M to pay medical bills with everthing left not spend being able to be passed onto your estate. I'll gladly take the hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills while you sit and die broke.

Tell me how relying up government is "the responsible thing"? I cant wait to hear your spining on this pos. Where is the hypocracy in investing rather than spending?

I know.. you dont get the difference do you? Foolish people like you actually think insurance companies earn their money from insurance profits. Dont you? Do you have a darn clue how insurance companies earn profits?
Die broke? HO Ho ho....

"Relying up government"---your English is impressive..

I've got investment portfolios,pensions, savings, etc..

I've also got a health insurance policy...

You don't. Why, I don't know...

Look forward to paying your medical bills with your investments..all of which could be avoided if you bought an insurance policy...your problem, not mine.

Just remember: no whining,regardless of how much the bill might be; pay up when you're asked, don't try to pass the bill off on other people...

Old 12-13-2010, 08:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Die broke? HO Ho ho....

"Relying up government"---your English is impressive..
I'm waiting for you to tell me how people who need government to give them healthcare is the responsible thing.. Still waiting.. Unable to answer ha?
Quote:
I've got investment portfolios,pensions, savings, etc..

I've also got a health insurance policy...

You don't. Why, I don't know...
Fantastic.. You have all of that, and still dont understand compounded interest and the time value of money.. I'll ask again.. Do you have a clue how insurance companies are profitable? Tell me its from insurance premiums so I can laugh at you..
Quote:
Look forward to paying your medical bills with your investments..all of which could be avoided if you bought an insurance policy...your problem, not mine.
Not my problem.. I never moaned and groaned about it.. You are.. Why you are complaining about my ability to pay my own bills I'll never understand ... I do look forward to paying my medical bills with my investments. Its those investments allowing it to take place. I could choose to buy an investment which I can pass down to my estate, or I can choose to pay insurance and give others the profits. I simply choose to invest in the same manner insurance companies do. Whats your beef with that?
Quote:
Just remember: no whining,regardless of how much the bill might be; pay up when you're asked, don't try to pass the bill off on other people...
I broke both wrists last year and needed full hand reconstructive surgery. Paid in full without a problem. My fiance has chrohns disease and spends a week every month in the hospital. Again, paid in full. Spare me the moaning and groaning because you dont understand how for some people its more beneficial to invest and use the investments to pay the bills, than it is to pay for insurance..

I dont criticize you for having insurance, even though I'm sure there is a cap to it like all insurance companies, dont criticize me for not having insurance provided I can pay the bills up until the catastrophic insurance would kick in..

Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Oh remember the right wing CD "legal experts" were telling us that if one part of the health bill is ruled unconstitutional the whole bill would be thrown out????...LOL

How many B.S paragraphs did that involve?

Nothing phases these guys...they just post their ignorant trash, it turns out to be wrong, five minutes later they are on to something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies