Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
When you come up with a plan which results in the wealthy voluntarily giving up enough to run the government and take care of all the poor and disadvantaged, get back to us.

Until then, taxation is a necessary evil.
Why would the wealthy need to voluntarily give up more? The GDP of the country is about $15T.. You dont think the government can support itself on $1.5T a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 03:56 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Why would the wealthy need to voluntarily give up more? The GDP of the country is about $15T.. You dont think the government can support itself on $1.5T a year?

$1.5 trillion is about how much we over-spend, even in good times. That's just what goes on the credit card, not the cost of maintenance and daily operations.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:46 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
"people like ya'll?" And then you quote a Bible verse? What a hypocrit. Your message speaks volumes about your class envy. Sitting in front of a computer spearing people with your words, wishing, just wishing you could be one of those rich. How do you reconcile your little Bible verse below with those God prospered according to the Bible. Do you even know? Without doing a Google search? Do you even know what many wealthy people give to the poor? Apparently not. I love it when people use Bible verses, out of context by the way, to weakly, feebly, try to prove their political point.

If you want to try to shove the Bible down someone's throat for a "gotcha," at least don't leave yourself so wide open. If you want to have class envy, just admit it. Why hide behind the Bible.

Quote:
Increase church attendance and tithing? LOL Let's see your plan for that! What are we gonna do? Make that mandatory instead of taxation? Every preacher in the world would like to know how to do that!

What all this talk about charity and taxation really boils down to is that people like y'all simply don't want to take care of the poor and, even if you had more money in your pocket, you still wouldn't. We have tax payer funded charity now because voluntary contributions aren't meeting the need and it won't meet the need in the future either.

Moreover, since God's been dragged into this conversation, let's see what He has to say about a nation which has the wealth, but refuses to support the poor:

Eze 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
"people like ya'll?" And then you quote a Bible verse? What a hypocrit. Your message speaks volumes about your class envy. Sitting in front of a computer spearing people with your words, wishing, just wishing you could be one of those rich. How do you reconcile your little Bible verse below with those God prospered according to the Bible. Do you even know? Without doing a Google search? Do you even know what many wealthy people give to the poor? Apparently not. I love it when people use Bible verses, out of context by the way, to weakly, feebly, try to prove their political point.

If you want to try to shove the Bible down someone's throat for a "gotcha," at least don't leave yourself so wide open. If you want to have class envy, just admit it. Why hide behind the Bible.

My goodness! Aren't WE a little sensitive today!

I didn't bring God into the thread; the OP did.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
My goodness! Aren't WE a little sensitive today!

I didn't bring God into the thread; the OP did.
And I did it to make the point that God doesn't use taxation (which is necessary) to divide people. That's the difference between God and progressives.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:19 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
The federal, state and local government, or should I say politicians for the most part, are the most vile people on the planet.

They are elected as middle class and exit with extreme wealth.

This is proof that they are schemers and thieves.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Considering that many in this country worship the wealthy and disparage the poor it is quite natural for the poor to pay taxes at the same, or even higher, rate than the wealthy. I suppose this is designed to provide an incentive for the poor to become wealthy. This is the wealth’s interpretation of God's will.

I am amused that the very people that would gain the most from a progressive tax system that effectively excluded the lowest 90% from taxation are the people that most vociferously object. The people in the 80 to 90th percentile are the ones with enough disposable income to make the investments that will start them on the way to riches. Instead they accept the highest effective rates less they have to pay at a higher rate when they become wealthy.

Our current and most of the proposed, tax systems only make sense if you are already in the top 10, or preferably, the top 1% of the income range. I believe that, in additional to a 90th percentile deductable base on a progressive income tax; there should be a federal financial property tax of 5% on all wealth above 10 million dollars. This would result in a lot more money in circulation as well as a substantial reduction in the federal definite.

I believe this plan would relieve most of the correspondents on this Forum from any federal tax. Why would you object to that?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
And I did it to make the point that God doesn't use taxation (which is necessary) to divide people. That's the difference between God and progressives.

Progressives? Since both parties are right now engaged in playing one economic status against another in regards to who gets to keep a tax cut, don't you think that's just a little bit of an invalid premise?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
When you come up with a plan which results in the wealthy voluntarily giving up enough to run the government and take care of all the poor and disadvantaged, get back to us.

Until then, taxation is a necessary evil.
I am sorry. Why is the wealthy need to voluntarily giving up their wealth to run the government and taking care of the poor and disadvantaged? When have this become a standard?

I was raise and told that I work, I eat. I don't work, I don't get to eat. Nowadays, people can sit at home all day and they fill they are entitled to food, water, and shelter.

Government is never setup to help the poor and disadvantaged. They are set up to make the law fair and our border safe.

You have to understand, whatever we earn, it's our to keep. It is because people who believe that government is the true owner of all our hard earn money and whatever they don't take through tax, it's a charity to us.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:12 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
In the Bible God imposes a flat tax of 10% on all believers--rich and poor alike--for the support of the Temple.

So, that would be a flat 10% tax on all income; no tax shelters allowed, including donations to charities. No hiding income and assets in Switzerland or any other country. No tax deductions of any kind.

If that was the case, the wealthy wouldn't go for it, AT ALL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies