Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 09:49 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There is nothing requiring a senator to take to the floor to say why they oppose a bill.. Where are you getting this fantasy that they need to?
Did I say it was required? No. All I simply said was if GOP Senators take to the floor about all this other legislation that they have blocked from getting an up or down vote, or attempted to block and explain why, they should do the same for this bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Did I say it was required? No. All I simply said was if GOP Senators take to the floor about all this other legislation that they have blocked from getting an up or down vote, or attempted to block and explain why, they should do the same for this bill.
Nope.. sorry.. your wish isnt important... btw, I note you didnt answer my question about Democrats putting an incomplete bill up in June/July for a vote, nor did you explain why you supported an incomplete bill..

If you are going to discuss the issue, then you should explain yourself right?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Nope.. sorry.. your wish isnt important... btw, I note you didnt answer my question about Democrats putting an incomplete bill up in June/July for a vote, nor did you explain why you supported an incomplete bill..

If you are going to discuss the issue, then you should explain yourself right?
They didn't put up an incomplete bill in July.....

Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
They didn't put up an incomplete bill in July.....
Yes they did House Rejects Bill to Aid Sick 9/11 Responders - CBS News

And if you try to respond with the fact that the bill was complete in July, you just said
Quote:
No one has suggested the bill was just written. The bill was worked on for some time, it is now complete. It passed the House, and now its up to the Senate, and the GOP has blocked the bill from coming up for consideration.
Meaning the July bill was NOT complete. Do you not remember commenting on the bill in July here as well? YOU supported this bill then, which couldnt have been complete if the bill is "NOW" complete.. Remember? This was in response to me listing all of the previous times the bill couldnt move forward?

By your own admission, you dont know why they are opposing the bill.. I'm done responding to someone who by their own admission.. just doesnt have any answers. Maybe if you stop listening to the left wing bs and start to listen to both sides of an issue, you'll better understand and be able to answer questions when someone asks them of you..

Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Yes they did House Rejects Bill to Aid Sick 9/11 Responders - CBS News

And if you try to respond with the fact that the bill was complete in July, you just said

Meaning the July bill was NOT complete. Do you not remember commenting on the bill in July here as well? YOU supported this bill then, which couldnt have been complete if the bill is "NOW" complete.. Remember? This was in response to me listing all of the previous times the bill couldnt move forward?

By your own admission, you dont know why they are opposing the bill.. I'm done responding to someone who by their own admission.. just doesnt have any answers. Maybe if you stop listening to the left wing bs and start to listen to both sides of an issue, you'll better understand and be able to answer questions when someone asks them of you..

The GOP BLOCKED the bill in July in the House. The Dems tried to fast track the bill and did not want it to get bogged down in the Amendment process, so they bypassed the Amendment process, which requires 2/3 of a vote. The bill had near unanimous Democratic support, but not enough Republicans voted for the bill in order to get the bill passed through the fast track rules. The Democrats then took off the fast track rules and it later passed the House via a simple majority, again along a mostly party line basis.

The bill has moved on to the Senate where the GOP is blocking the bill from being debated.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
The GOP BLOCKED the bill in July in the House. The Dems tried to fast track the bill and did not want it to get bogged down in the Amendment process, so they bypassed the Amendment process, which requires 2/3 of a vote. The bill had near unanimous Democratic support, but not enough Republicans voted for the bill in order to get the bill passed through the fast track rules. The Democrats then took off the fast track rules and it later passed the House via a simple majority, again along a mostly party line basis.

The bill has moved on to the Senate where the GOP is blocking the bill from being debated.
By your own admission, the bill in July wasnt "done", its only NOW done..

And again.. I know the bill is being blocked in the Senate.. You are rehashing the same old same old.. But what you havent rehashed is WHY.. Which you admit.. you dont have a clue..

End of subject.. You may now have the last word because if I wanted to hear the same old meaningless babble, I'd turn on MSNBC or the Comedy Channel

Old 12-18-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
By your own admission, the bill in July wasnt "done", its only NOW done..

And again.. I know the bill is being blocked in the Senate.. You are rehashing the same old same old.. But what you havent rehashed is WHY.. Which you admit.. you dont have a clue..

End of subject.. You may now have the last word because if I wanted to hear the same old meaningless babble, I'd turn on MSNBC or the Comedy Channel
The bill was done in July, the GOP just blocked it in the House. It then passed the House, went on to the Senate and the GOP is blocking it in the Senate.

No why exists, there is no why in this case, its just repulsiveness.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Simply no excuses whatsoever to vote against this.
What do you know about the bill? I ask in all fairness not to be a smart a.s.

I don't know enough about the bill to say yes or no at this time.

I do know there were NO hearings. No sub-committee vote, no committee vote. No discussion. No amendments were allowed.

If this was so important why wasn't it done when the dems had complete control of the senate?

To many times a bill will have a nice sounding name, such as the Stimulus bill but, in reality it does not do what the name implies.

7.4 billion is a lot of money. Who does it cover? What does it cover? As I understand it covers more than just first responders as the name implies.

I know a fund was set up. I know the brave firefighters and policemen have excellent health care.

I just don't like last minute bills being voted on with no discussion from both parties.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:18 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Its not increasing taxes, its closing some loophole. Aside from that if the GOP wants to pay for it some other way, bring some ideas to the table. Lets debate it rather than blocking even opening up debate on the bill.

Not to mention something like this, it really doesn't matter if its paid for or not, or what is done. This is just extremely important and the Republicans simply blocked debate on it, its beyond infuriating. Sickening, horrendous.
There were NO hearings on this bill. No amendments were allowed. A bill should NOT be brought to the floor unless it goes through the normal process.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What do you know about the bill? I ask in all fairness not to be a smart a.s.

I don't know enough about the bill to say yes or no at this time.

I do know there were NO hearings. No sub-committee vote, no committee vote. No discussion. No amendments were allowed.

If this was so important why wasn't it done when the dems had complete control of the senate?

To many times a bill will have a nice sounding name, such as the Stimulus bill but, in reality it does not do what the name implies.

7.4 billion is a lot of money. Who does it cover? What does it cover? As I understand it covers more than just first responders as the name implies.

I know a fund was set up. I know the brave firefighters and policemen have excellent health care.

I just don't like last minute bills being voted on with no discussion from both parties.
The Dems only had complete control (I guess by that you mean filibuster proof majority) for four months. The bill was not complete at that time, it has been worked on for a couple years. Its not some last minute bill, and hearings have been held on it.

If you watched the video in the OP you would have seen that the coverage the police and firefighters have don't cover everything. This bill gives them (as well as other volunteers) more coverages, covers the costs, provides those who were sickened as a result of breathing in the toxins full coverage, and covers from the Police, Fire Dept, Workmen's Comp and others can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies