Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 03:48 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,204,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
They don't have 60 Democrats anymore........ The Senate is 58-42......
I didnt ask about now.. I asked about WHEN they did, they STILL couldnt get it passed.. Did you even look at the link I posted? Democrats couldnt even get the bill to the floor...

(HR 7174) was introduced at the end of the congressional session, but House Leaders did not bring the bill to the floor of the U.S. House of the Representatives for a vote.

Why arent you angry at the Democrats? This bills been around for a decade now.. And you want to blame the GOP? Please!! get real...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 03:49 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,965,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And? They couldnt get 60 Democrats to vote yes? Ooh thats right.. THEY COULDNT..
When did the Democrats have 60 seats?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:50 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,509,661 times
Quote:
But federal funding has already been provided for this.. Has funding stopped? I havent seen anything to indicate it has.. This is just to replace current funding already in place.. Seems pointless..

Not even those ill see the federal government as being liable. They have sued the administrators of the 911 insurance fund to pay for their care..

And NYC put the estimated cost to take care of the sick at $393M.. So why are we funding this to the tune of what, $10B?
The funding that has been needed has not been provided. Certain assistance and help has been given, but its clearly not enough. Cops are getting sick and dying, firemen are getting sick and dying, ordinary citizens who decided to volunteer and help out are getting sick and dying. The funding already provided doesn't cover the need.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
If you looked at the link in the OP you would see that it doesn't cover everything. First responders are dying, sick and drowning in debt because of breathing in the toxins and not being fully covered.

As far as the previous bill that failed in the House, I mentioned earlier in the thread. The Dems tried to fast track the bill any bypass the Amendment Procedure so it didn't get bogged down with other Amendments. That process required 2/3 Majority, which the GOP blocked.

Since then they took the more typical angle and pace of passing things in the House with a simple majority and did so. The bill has passed the House, in the Senate the GOP is blocking bringing the bill up for debate.
They did not try to fast track any bill.. They could have gotten this bill passed in a 24 hour period if Democrats were so concerned about those "dying".. How many "deaths" are on Democratic hands for not passing this bill, since you claim people are dying.. Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me that it was easier to get a $1T healthcare bill passed which 50% of the population doesnt approve of, then it is to get a $10B (or whatever the total is) that a large portion would support? Seriously? If you believe that, then I've got a great big bridge for you to buy...

Old 12-17-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I didnt ask about now.. I asked about WHEN they did, they STILL couldnt get it passed.. Did you even look at the link I posted? Democrats couldnt even get the bill to the floor...

(HR 7174) was introduced at the end of the congressional session, but House Leaders did not bring the bill to the floor of the U.S. House of the Representatives for a vote.

Why arent you angry at the Democrats? This bills been around for a decade now.. And you want to blame the GOP? Please!! get real...
Yes, and the link shows that negotiations were still going on, the bill was being worked on for some time.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The funding that has been needed has not been provided. Certain assistance and help has been given, but its clearly not enough. Cops are getting sick and dying, firemen are getting sick and dying, ordinary citizens who decided to volunteer and help out are getting sick and dying. The funding already provided doesn't cover the need.
Thats bull crap.. You are being fed a line of bs..

CDC - World Trade Center Health Programs: National Program - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

BHS - WTC Medical Monitoring and Treatment Program
Approved medications will involve NO member co-pa

BHS - WTC Medical Monitoring and Treatment Program - Prescription Medication Plan
The FDNY WTC Medical Monitoring and Treatment Program is pleased to announce a new program to provide eligible FDNY rescue workers (Fire & EMS; active & retired) with FREE WTC medications. Approved medications will involve NO member co-pay.

This is on TOP of the $300B+ the City of NYC spends..

And let alone the fact that if people are sick they would qualify for federal health benefits just like anyone else with a chronic illness..

Old 12-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, and the link shows that negotiations were still going on, the bill was being worked on for some time.
And? THEY DIDNT BRING IT TO THE FLOOR.. Sit here and make excuse after excuse for Democratic incompetence while you get your fake outrage because the GOP said no to something the Democrats said no to as well..

You seriously telling me this piece of legislation was soo difficult that its taking longer to get passed than the healthcare bill? Seriously.. who are you trying to kid?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
They did not try to fast track any bill.. They could have gotten this bill passed in a 24 hour period if Democrats were so concerned about those "dying".. How many "deaths" are on Democratic hands for not passing this bill, since you claim people are dying.. Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me that it was easier to get a $1T healthcare bill passed which 50% of the population doesnt approve of, then it is to get a $10B (or whatever the total is) that a large portion would support? Seriously? If you believe that, then I've got a great big bridge for you to buy...
The bill has passed the House, its now up to the Senate. The GOP is blocking bring the bill up for debate in the Senate. Lets allow the bill to be debated and pass this thing.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:59 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,965,902 times
Quote:
I blame everyone - the Democrats, the Republicans, & the media for ignoring it. But right now the ball is in the Republicans hands and they are stalling & playing politics.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
And? THEY DIDNT BRING IT TO THE FLOOR.. Sit here and make excuse after excuse for Democratic incompetence while you get your fake outrage because the GOP said no to something the Democrats said no to as well..
The Democrats didn't say no. The negotiations at the time were still going on, including with NYC, as your link shows. The bill has since been worked on and completed. It has passed the House and is now being blocked in the Senate by the GOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies