Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 04:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I personally think we need to bring gym back into schools.

We had a soda machine in our schools. We werent obese because we had gym class. Also we didnt say inside and play ps3 all day. Part of this is the parents for allowing that.

But its not the role of the gov to raise our children. It is the parents.
But what about government mandating gym?

What if the parent doesn't want their kid involved with gym?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 04:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:

We had a soda machine in our schools. We werent obese because we had gym class. Also we didnt say inside and play ps3 all day. Part of this is the parents for allowing that.

So what kind of food would you like to see on the school lunch menus?

Good point about children not getting enough exercise these days.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:49 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Nobody is telling you what you can or can't put in your own children's lunches. Put 2 twinkies, 3 sodas and a piece of apple pie in there for all I care. But when it comes to federally/publically funded school lunches they should be as nutritious as possible.
I think that the control on this issue comes from the health industry falling apart. So, M. Obama, et al, want to take that control from us parents to try and fix the problem.

If they would help to make the healthy food affordable, they wouldn't need to interfere. The only thing is, it looks like they actually - both parties - want to push out the small farmer, business owner, etc. It's easier to control the masses than to fix the problems. Problems take time and work.

It is like conventional medicine. Most of it covers up the symptom to give relief, but it doesn't heal. Healthy correction takes time. Your body fights in a pyramid order. The whole body attacks the most pressing issue, deals with it and then works on what is next in importance. That takes much longer to achieve than taking medication.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:51 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:

I also want our leaders to not be hypocrites and lead by example. If Michelle Obama does not think schools should be allowed to have bake sales she shouldnt be eating cookies
You want soda served at schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
But what about government mandating gym?

What if the parent doesn't want their kid involved with gym?
We had the option of gym class or band. Of course, I chose band. LOL!

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post

All I am saying is that it is Sarah's MO - no big, overreaching gov't. It's not that hard to figure out.

Right, no big, overreaching government............except when it comes to women having reproductive freedom............or when homosexuals decide they want to marry the person they love........or leaving religion out of the schools and allowing parents to decide what their children's religious teachings should be.

Good ole Sarah just wants to be the one who decides which part of our lives the government should control.........she certainly is not against government control.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,672 times
What about the kids' self-esteem??? Nobody gets a D anymore, and in some schools an F is an automatic 65, even if they earned a 2. Everybody can be a cheerleader, be on the basketball squad or whatever. We aren't supposed to hurt their feelings. No more red pens to grade papers. Now teachers are supposed to tell them they're fat?? What?

School cafeteria managers have to try and make palatable meals that kids like with a budget that often doesn't allow for vegetables because of their cost. Not talking about potatoes; they're usually on the menu everyday. Salad bars get nasty. Pre-packed salads are better, but still not great. They'll throw the apples or oranges away. You'd be shocked at the amount of waste in schools. At least they allowed the kids to "donate" their unopened milks to anybody who wanted another one.

A lot of kids eat breakfast at school, too. To my mind it's the best meal. You can hardly mess up eggs and toast, and here in the south we have grits.

Government funded lunch programs still get Government Cheese, and it's totally processed. Public schools are not private schools and must rely on the largesse of their districts, states, and federal governments.

I sometimes think that to cut spending we should have kids go to school until noon. No meals. Just the core subjects; reading, math, history, geography. There's too much wasted time during the day.

But anyway, ultimately the parents control the kids, and most of them do not want the school butting in on the way they feed their children.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:56 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You want soda served at schools?
Do we not live in a free country? It will be up to the parents if they give them money for it I am not talking about having them in elementary schools. They would also only be allowed to have them during lunch. How many sodas do you think someone can drink in 1/2 an hour?

Do you think kids dont drink soda? Givin to them by their parents?

Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
OK, I have quoted a bunch of posts I want to respond to, as this issue is near and dear to me. Please bear with me. (I'll split it into two posts.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I really fear for Sarah Palin's safety sometimes. The loony libs' obsessive stalking of her is out of control, maybe even illegal. Get some mental health care.

Sorry proggies, Palin is 100 percent correct here.
Who's stalking Ms. Sarah? She is the one who puts her puss in the lime light constantly. She's the one who took the cookies to the PA school. She's the one who is going to demonstrate making S'Mores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Sarah Palin's mentality is at a middle school level!
If that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
First Ladies all adopt some sort of social cause. With Mrs. Bush it was literacy. Terrible person she was, trying to force our children to read.
Yes, I agree. Rosalyn Carter was involved with mental health. Suicide prevention is so unnecessary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Say it ain't so, Joe

You had me agreeing with you until you stated
"presidential candidate" - she has not announced she is
running for President in 2012, has she?
The person you quoted was responding to me, when I said I can't understand why Sarah's opposing M. Obama unless she's setting herself up to run for pres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Grow up.........why would Palin agree with obama......she doesnt. Perhaps Obama should agree with Palin! It is a political position.....where does it say in the Constitution that the federal Government should dictate what we can and cant eat? Palin is exactly right and that is a positive message. Perhaps if liberals werent so busy and concerned about making life so easy for every one they might actually get out and get after it and lose weight. How about we make a federal law that says all kids must perform 500 pushups and sit ups a week and before they can pass the 8th grade they must be able to do 20 pullups. Hows about that?!
Well, that's close to what one of yours wants to do. See further below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Indeed. It should be up to the parents if they want their kids to use drugs!

As far as 'the government telling us what to eat', nutritional guidelines have been around longer than any of us. I don't remember hearing people cry about it before so I'll just assume anyone who does now is an idiot. What other choice do I have? I learned about the food pyramid in school, and I've seen many changes to it since then. I took the Presidential Physical Fitness tests and got a certificate. I don't get the whining.
I agree, both about the drugs and the nutrition guidelines and the Presidential Physical Fitness tests. I am old enough to remember that the "food pyramid" was called something else, but for the life of me I can't remember what. That was a long time ago.

I also oppose pregnancy prevention programs. If the parents want their kids to avoid pregnancy, they should do the education. Same with tobacco prevention. These methods worked so well in the past, no? (Sarcasm intened)

Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
What about the kids' self-esteem??? Nobody gets a D anymore, and in some schools an F is an automatic 65, even if they earned a 2. Everybody can be a cheerleader, be on the basketball squad or whatever. We aren't supposed to hurt their feelings. No more red pens to grade papers. Now teachers are supposed to tell them they're fat?? What?

School cafeteria managers have to try and make palatable meals that kids like with a budget that often doesn't allow for vegetables because of their cost. Not talking about potatoes; they're usually on the menu everyday. Salad bars get nasty. Pre-packed salads are better, but still not great. They'll throw the apples or oranges away. You'd be shocked at the amount of waste in schools. At least they allowed the kids to "donate" their unopened milks to anybody who wanted another one.

A lot of kids eat breakfast at school, too. To my mind it's the best meal. You can hardly mess up eggs and toast, and here in the south we have grits.

Government funded lunch programs still get Government Cheese, and it's totally processed. Public schools are not private schools and must rely on the largesse of their districts, states, and federal governments.

I sometimes think that to cut spending we should have kids go to school until noon. No meals. Just the core subjects; reading, math, history, geography. There's too much wasted time during the day.

But anyway, ultimately the parents control the kids, and most of them do not want the school butting in on the way they feed their children.
Good post!!!! I read a study, some time ago, that stated the public schools only study four hours per day on the core subjects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies