Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Yes, screw that political correctness! I mean, why can't we call Black people "n*****," Hispanic people "s****" and "w*****," and Jewish people "k***." Why can't we degrade women by calling them names, or come up with creative slurs bashing new immigrant groups? America is all about the majority oppressing the minority -- that's what makes this country great!!!

In case you can't tell, my post is dripping with sarcasm.
Yes but at the same time, you yourself broke a politically correct rule. You used "Black people" and that's not what you're supposed to use. You just proved the OP's point. You weren't careful enough to use "African American people".

It's like calling people "Native American" and then finding out they use the word "Indian". Liberal whites think of "Indian" as some horribly insulting word but why should it be? I even know Indians who say they were Indian before being Indian was cool - is that so terrible?

You can no longer refer to people of Mexico as "Mexicans" as that is now some big racist slur, you have to say they are "hispanics". That's delicate enough for now.

Political correctness is about way-overdoing it. You can't use the word "lady" or "gal" or even "woman", you must say "womyn" or you're just a jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes but at the same time, you yourself broke a politically correct rule. You used "Black people" and that's not what you're supposed to use. You just proved the OP's point. You weren't careful enough to use "African American people".

It's like calling people "Native American" and then finding out they use the word "Indian". Liberal whites think of "Indian" as some horribly insulting word but why should it be? I even know Indians who say they were Indian before being Indian was cool - is that so terrible?

You can no longer refer to people of Mexico as "Mexicans" as that is now some big racist slur, you have to say they are "hispanics". That's delicate enough for now.

Political correctness is about way-overdoing it. You can't use the word "lady" or "gal" or even "woman", you must say "womyn" or you're just a jerk.
The problem with that PC word is that not all Blacks are from Africa.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Well certain groups of people that demand everyone else be PC NEED to be offended more often.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
Trent Lott's comments about Strom Thurmond were not worth complaining about, but lots of certain groups did and it kept him from being speaker, even though he would've been great.
LOL...now you're just being facetious.

Even most Republicans at the time thought Trent Lott was a joke as a majority leader. And Lott is a senator...he can't be the speaker. In fact, when Frist undermined his leadership, all of Lott's Republican support in the senate buckled like a stack of toothpicks.

Look up the history of Strom Thurmond and tell me how wonderful it would've been for him to have won the presidency. I take a man at his word...and Lott (already being somewhat suspect as a Mississippian) said EXACTLY what he thought. It wasn't just an attempt at flattery.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Look...you should just speak for yourself. You may refer to yourself endearingly as a "cracker," but that doesn't give me the right to do it. Besides, i was raised well enough to know better. And i definitely shouldn't do it just because you don't take offense to it. THAT...is what shows immaturity!

Maturity or not, i'm not going to stand for someone calling me the N-word in an insulting fashion (except for the poster above LMAO) without a response just so i can show that i can be mature about it. No..quite the contrary...i'm going to be VERY immature about it. One shouldn't waste their time or their money on hospital bills by calling me that and expecting maturity. That's not playing the victim...that's REFUSING to be a victim! You can call it pathetic all you want. I'll be pathetic, but i won't be bullied into silence while someone insults me.

Sounds to me like a lot of this complaining about PC is really just anger at not being able to insult people and getting away with it.
Interesting post, you seem "offended" by my acceptance of being a called a cracker. Maturity doesn't stop at knowing right from wrong but continues into doing what is right.

Engaging as the victim IS being a victim. Once you acknowledge you have been victimized you have willingly become the very thing you complain you're not. The post above screams you’re a victim. Step out of that role and the light shall shine in. Don’t be a victim just “be”.
Quote:
That's not playing the victim...that's REFUSING to be a victim!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
I'm confused....what is the difference between playing a victim and standing up for yourself?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...now you're just being facetious.

Even most Republicans at the time thought Trent Lott was a joke as a majority leader. And Lott is a senator...he can't be the speaker. In fact, when Frist undermined his leadership, all of Lott's Republican support in the senate buckled like a stack of toothpicks.

Look up the history of Strom Thurmond and tell me how wonderful it would've been for him to have won the presidency. I take a man at his word...and Lott (already being somewhat suspect as a Mississippian) said EXACTLY what he thought. It wasn't just an attempt at flattery.
Why is it you are able to make that assumption?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I'm confused....what is the difference between playing a victim and standing up for yourself?

And I'm confused about the difference in calling someone an African-American and Black. I have grand children that are Black and I wouldn't want them to be offended by someones terminology. I will do my best to make sure that they are good people and that derogatory comments are unacceptable, but I will also make sure that they are confident enough in themselves to know that words are meant to be descriptive and not NECESSARILY derogative.

When we CREATE ways to offend people it is devisive. Calling someone out for using terminology that isn't within the "current trend" does little to bridge gaps. It usually blows up the dam. And IMO those that push new terminology know exactly what they're doing.

Whether you call my grandchildren Black or African-American changes what exactly? They are who they are...what's offensive? Do I have the right to be offended when people don't address me as a Norwegian-Dane-American? It could be Scandinavian-American but then there may be something in there that I'm not inclined to.

For God's sake, why are we paying people to come up with this divisive BS and buying into it? Are these REALLYthe biggest problems we have? To promote race relations wouldn't it be more advantagous to forego some of this BS and do more to try to understand each other? It makes me feel like the people promoting all this terminology WANT to create tension rather than bridge gaps and have us understand and respect each other. Sure if someone uses the N word they aren't being kind. But then, how many times has the terminology changed since then. My father called my grandkids colored because that was the last time he got the update. He would die for any of them. It's just terminology. And big business these days.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Yes, screw that political correctness! I mean, why can't we call Black people "n*****," Hispanic people "s****" and "w*****," and Jewish people "k***." Why can't we degrade women by calling them names, or come up with creative slurs bashing new immigrant groups? America is all about the majority oppressing the minority -- that's what makes this country great!!!

In case you can't tell, my post is dripping with sarcasm.
Slurs are different than not being PC. Instead of calling black people "African-Americans," they should just be called "black." That's just one example I can think of offhand.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Well certain groups of people that demand everyone else be PC NEED to be offended more often.

Or they just choose to be offended. Too bad they don't realize the terminology doesn't change the facts. Too bad so many don't realize that we are what we accomplish. The circumstances of our birth can not be changed. They don't matter. It's all a matter of perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies