Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Camping is cool, the back to nature thingy

If I were to live in a tent, I would least move to one of the mildest regions of the US, Forida or South Texas or Arizona, maybe become an illegal alien in Mexico
It's possible in the harsher winter areas.

You don't always see it either - not everyone is getting on television news or wants to.

One guy I know rented a space for a pop-up camper next to a shed. He easily survived the winter of a northern state living in it - but he also had a tarp around the pop-up to keep a buffer of air to insolate around it. In the day time he worked, he heated it briefly in the evening but then slept in sleeping bags.

Now he's bought a nice house - he wasn't jobless for the most part, he was just saving up money.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Wait a minute...it wasn't the government who sent these jobs overseas...it was the bean counters and corporations who saw that they could make their stock price and profits rise by doing it. It all comes down to greedy business practices. That will not change no matter what party is in power in the whitehouse.
Who opened the door?

The Government. (NAFTA, CAFTA, WTO, UN, MFN - Most Favored Nation status... CHINA)

Who walked through the door, and into foreign countries taking American jobs with them?

The Businesses.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Yep. Welcome to Obamaville.
More likely Bushville. It takes more than two years to drag down a country.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Who opened the door?

The Government. (NAFTA, CAFTA, WTO, UN, MFN - Most Favored Nation status... CHINA)

Who walked through the door, and into foreign countries taking American jobs with them?

The Businesses.
But -- who is buying those cheap products those businesses provide?

The American consumer doesn't really care about unemployment and tent cities if they continue to buy everything made somewhere else.

Just like the tent city dwellers choose to buy their tents from China - they aren't very smart.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:31 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
This contains it's own answer. Because Americans are buying all that foreign made crap.

It's like the unemployed spending their unemployment checks at Walmart and complaining they don't have jobs. We can't just blame the big global corporations when we go along with everything they do buy wanting the cheap foreign products.
After being unemployed, I am trying to buy American-made goods. It is hard now. I have only been able to find a handful of companies that still makes things here in the U.S. Lodge Logic, Nordicware, Anchor, and Cornelle are the only ones I have seen that make household goods in the U.S.A. Even G.M. is shipping some of its manufacturing to Mexico. I do drive a G.M. car that was made in Michigan.

I have even seen some grocery stores ship meat in from other countries. I don't want to buy meat that comes from Mexico or Austrailia.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
More likely Bushville. It takes more than two years to drag down a country.
Bush, Obama, Clinton, Bush Sr., Republicans, Democrats...they are all to blame for the downfall of the U.S.A. There is plenty of blame on all sides to go around.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:54 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Wait a minute...it wasn't the government who sent these jobs overseas...it was the bean counters and corporations who saw that they could make their stock price and profits rise by doing it. It all comes down to greedy business practices. That will not change no matter what party is in power in the whitehouse.
Corporations have exploited the cheap labor markets to the detriment of the country as a whole, and it is the responsibility of our government to limit the 'perks' that corporations have to do so, especially when most of the profits go to the upper management who are devising the outsourcing schemes. Obama's solution seems to be to keep extending unemployment benefits (but only up to 99 weeks) and to borrow trillions from the private Fed bankers to fund temporary jobs and temporary tax cuts for everyone including the wealthy. Unless there is a permanent job base re-established in this country, we will continue down the slippery slope of depression. Obama doesn't even seem to be addressing the issue at all. He is just pushing the reckoning to another day.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But -- who is buying those cheap products those businesses provide?

The American consumer doesn't really care about unemployment and tent cities if they continue to buy everything made somewhere else.

Just like the tent city dwellers choose to buy their tents from China - they aren't very smart.
Well said. Corporations believe it or not react to consumer comments.
I work for a Fortune 500 corp.
Our product lines designs and changes are driven by consumer comments and demands.
Not enough people complain to walMart about walmart or the products they sell. Its that simple.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:33 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
With our housing values going to see double dip drops in value, sad but true, there will be more people added to tent city, and sad this is. What part of this economy truthfully looks good to us, the way things are going, this is only the beginning. I head this morning that unemployment figures are going to be on the rise too, this does not sound like a promising economy to me in any ways, time for most to face reality.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
With our housing values going to see double dip drops in value, sad but true, there will be more people added to tent city, and sad this is. What part of this economy truthfully looks good to us, the way things are going, this is only the beginning. I head this morning that unemployment figures are going to be on the rise too, this does not sound like a promising economy to me in any ways, time for most to face reality.
Many of the permanently unemployed are no longer even counted. The next step that the gov has to do is provide massive shelters to accomodate the newly homeless, and formerly middle class families that will be evicted by the same banks that we bailed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies