Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:11 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
People living in tents are obviously a very small minority, taking their existence and projecting into it being "The American Dream" is typical shrill hyperbole from doomsday sites like this that get advertising revenue from the tards who click on them.
The video link was from "The Today Show", NBC network program with a lot of credibility.

I don't care what site posts the link or article, the fact is that it's happening, and The United States government stabbed the American worker in the back.

It needs to haunt every last one of them who voted to ship our jobs overseas and hire illegals to do the work Americans USED to do.

Can't wait to hear more lies about how "Obama's last congress was the most productive in generations"... SNOW-JOBS! Those are the only jobs he's offering!

Quote:
All in all, Obama concluded, this was "the most productive postelection period we've had in decades" and "the most productive two years that we've had in generations."
http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_16923907

Old 12-27-2010, 03:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
People living in tents are obviously a very small minority, taking their existence and projecting into it being "The American Dream" is typical shrill hyperbole from doomsday sites like this that get advertising revenue from the tards who click on them.
The 10% unemployed population is not a very small minority, and the tent cites will continue to grow as the 99ers drop off of the unemployment rolls. 'Shrill hyperbole'? I think not.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:37 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The video link was from "The Today Show", NBC network program with a lot of credibility.

I don't care what site posts the link or article, the fact is that it's happening, and The United States government stabbed the American worker in the back.

It needs to haunt every last one of them who voted to ship our jobs overseas and hire illegals to do the work Americans USED to do.

Can't wait to hear more lies about how "Obama's last congress was the most productive in generations"... SNOW-JOBS! Those are the only jobs he's offering!

Obama hails achievements of 'most productive' Congress - San Jose Mercury News

I don't know which is more sad; that people are forced to live in tents or you think NBC has "a lot of credibility".

Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
The New American Dream: Sprawling Tent Cities Filled With Tents Made In China
Yep. Welcome to Obamaville.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:03 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
So why are so many Americans hurting? Where did all the good jobs go? Well, over the past couple of decades our new "global economy" has encouraged big corporations to move thousands of factories and millions of jobs out of the United States.

Many of the good jobs that these homeless and unemployed Americans used to do are now done on the other side of the world. The ironic thing is that many of the tent cities that have bloomed in communities across the United States are filled with tents that were made in China.

The New American Dream: Sprawling Tent Cities Filled With Tents Made In China
Well isn't this the ultimate result of a global economy? Like water seeks its own level, so too will things like labor markets, consumer markets, etc... As many places around the world who are building things and have factories making things, adding value to raw goods, their standard of living is increasing little by little. When you have a finite amount of resources, competition for those resources increases and while others are adding value, we are still consumer based and a "service economy" which doesn't lend itself well to exports. Our standard of living will continue to decline, its a fact of life, so folks suck it up and get used to it.

We could do as we did in the past and have the courage to take on the risk of innovating and developing new technologies to which we then sold, but this requires a constant flow of capital and often a lot of it. One would think that the resulting technologies would be worth a great deal, but oddly in the past they were either sold for pennies on the dollar to others who could use the technology to make things cheaper than we could or it was stolen and or reversed engineered.

I hate the idea of defending a corporation or conglomerate, but these entities were created with the sole purpose of maximizing profit to share holders. They do this quite well. We do not fault the lion when it rips the throat out of a gazelle, because that is what lions by nature are designed to do. By this same token, corporations were designed by man to gut the throat out of weaker competition and man they are good at this.

Of course from the eyes of a corporation, YOU are the gazelle, which kinda sucks for you huh.

Even American companies will build things abroad using cheaper labor, cheaper resources to then turn around and sell back to the American consumer, as we gain "stuff" those abroad gain cash, to the extent that those corporations are American, how many corporations pay their share of taxes or fines or anything of the such? They are the top of the economic food chain and have vast resources to ensure their interests are looked after, so who is looking after your interests? The other prey items on the menu?

Study Tallies Corporations Not Paying Income Tax
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/bu...3tax.html?_r=1

How can it be that you pay more to the IRS than General Electric?
What The Top U.S. Companies Pay In Taxes - Forbes.com

Old 12-27-2010, 06:26 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
So where exactly are we disagreeing, are you going to claim people living in tents aren't a small minority of displaced workers?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The 10% unemployed population is not a very small minority, and the tent cites will continue to grow as the 99ers drop off of the unemployment rolls. 'Shrill hyperbole'? I think not.
I think so. Nobody claimed the 10% unemployed was a small minority, but I submit those who now live in tents certainly are and you know it.

Your thread is typical of those found in the politics forum coming from either direction, an extreme misrepresentation of facts. If we could discover the percentage of Americans permanently living in tents it would make your thread headline look ridiculous.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Quote:
I think so. Nobody claimed the 10% unemployed was a small minority, but I submit those who now live in tents certainly are and you know it.

Your thread is typical of those found in the politics forum coming from either direction, an extreme misrepresentation of facts. If we could discover the percentage of Americans permanently living in tents it would make your thread headline look ridiculous.
I drive the same route everyday & have for the last 6 yrs.
I always pass an area where 3 homeless people have lived in tents with shopping carts full of clothes. One is an older man & the other two are a man/woman couple in their 40's.
Over the last 2 yrs the number has grown & there are about 25 to 30 people now at this spot. I have seen a younger couple with 2 children & their dog. I have seen other children so I know there are more families there.
I also volunteer at the food bank & the shelter where we feed the homeless.
I have seen more new faces of those who seem very embarrassed to be there than I have ever seen before. I can tell these people are new to the hardships they are now enduring.
You can it misrepresentation if it makes you feel better but, its the truth.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:23 PM

810 posts, read 1,579,409 times
would it make a difference if the tents were made in the USA? Government subsidies for tent companies should fix this problem.

what is so ironic about the tents being made in China? do you know how poor Chinese live?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:06 PM

565 posts, read 485,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
...., maybe become an illegal alien in Mexico
I am afraid to say, you would have the shock of your life, Mexico is nothing you can really envision being from Europe. I went there with the same set of illusions, trust me on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies