Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
So, WHY did the prosecutor let Vick take a plea? WHY did the prosecutor CHOOSE to not go to trial? It takes BOTH sides to agree to let a defendant take a plea as opposed to going to trial. Why didn't the prosecutor make an example of Vick?
Because, for one thing they wouldn't have gotten the over one million dollar money settlement which went to caring for dogs. Also, it saves the government a lot of money to take a plea rather than prosecute a high profile case, not to mention that had the government messed up or a technicality went the wrong way Vick could have walked.

No prosecutor worth her/his paycheck turns down a sure thing. About the only time a deal is never offered is in a 1st degree murder case or a very serious sex crime like rape or child sexual abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yes he fulfilled his legal obligations with his prison and probation sentencing, but BS as in now some people claim that we should simply erase his past actions from our thoughts and never speak about them or express disgust and horror at what he did ever again. Why is it that those who feel that Vick's actions are unforgivable are being told to drop it since "he paid his dues to society"? I don't have to like the guy no matter how many months he spent in prison and I will never forgive him for what he put defenseless animals through for pure profit and enjoyment. The same would hold true for a convicted rapist or child molester after being released from prison. Yes, he has the legal right to pursue whatever career he chooses now and make as much as the market will allow. It doesn't have to sit well with me however. And why Obama feels the need to throw his support behind this despicable sorry excuse of a human being, I don't know. I think this was an immensely stupid move on his part. There are plenty of other ex-cons who are more deserving than this POS. It makes me question what Obama's true motivations really are.
Not True...NOBODY is even suggesting that Vick's past actions should be erased from our thoughts and that they should never be spoken of again, or that no expression of disgust and horror at what he did should reach the light of day!! How silly to think so. You're just being extreme. You have every right to express your opinons of Vick, just as Obama has the same rights.

Also, NOBODY is telling you or anyone else to "drop it" because Vick has already served his sentence. And NOBODY is saying that YOU have to like Michael Vick or that YOU have to forgive him. Sooooo, perhaps you should step back and look at the fact that OTHERS HAVE THE RIGHT to feel differently than you feel.......Why do you think you have the right to tell other people who believe in getting a second chance in this country is a positive thing that they should believe as you do and that they are WRONG in their beliefs?

You say this support from Obama makes you question his motives. Come on. Don't be shy. Tell us what you really think his motives were/are in this regard.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
I don't know if this was the reasoning in Vick's case, but a lot of times it comes down to money. It's very costly to bring a case to trial, and sometimes it's prudent to agree to a plea bargain. That's my best guess as to why the prosecutor agreed to the plea deal.
What somne here are forgetting is that Vick actually got more time than most for the crime he commited. While I do disagree strongly with what he did, I, like our President, agree that people should be given a second chance and so far Vick has shown he has changed his ways.
Casper

Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
Not True...NOBODY is even suggesting that Vick's past actions should be erased from our thoughts and that they should never be spoken of again, or that no expression of disgust and horror at what he did should reach the light of day!! How silly to think so. You're just being extreme. You have every right to express your opinons of Vick, just as Obama has the same rights.

Also, NOBODY is telling you or anyone else to "drop it" because Vick has already served his sentence. And NOBODY is saying that YOU have to like Michael Vick or that YOU have to forgive him. Sooooo, perhaps you should step back and look at the fact that OTHERS HAVE THE RIGHT to feel differently than you feel.......Why do you think you have the right to tell other people who believe in getting a second chance in this country is a positive thing that they should believe as you do and that they are WRONG in their beliefs?

You say this support from Obama makes you question his motives. Come on. Don't be shy. Tell us what you really think his motives were/are in this regard.
Really? NOBODY has told anyone to "drop it"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Vick did his time. Get over it already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post

Meanwhile, MV paid the price for what he did. GET OVER IT.

Last edited by AuDiBelle; 12-29-2010 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: added another example from this thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Answers.com - How many convicted felons currently play in the NFL

Dog killer Michael Vick will join other felons in the NFL - Norfolk Crime | Examiner.com
According to the federal indictment, when dogs at Vick’s Bad Newz Kennels lost a fight, or failed to perform well in ‘test matches,’ they were routinely killed by methods including electrocution, hanging, drowning, and in at least one case by “slamming” the dog’s body onto the concrete floor. In one session in April 2007, at least eight dogs were killed through these methods.
For laughs he'd toss underperforming dogs in to an electrified swimming pool. Somewhere [I'm NOT gonna say where] is an evidence room with a section of foam rubber used to line swimming pools for safety. It has bite and claw marks in it made by dogs desperately trying to climb out of the pool. Even if you accepted the demented idea that he could kill an underperformer, what sick mind devises a death like that? What would be the purpose other than sick thrills?

Now ask what, other than money, would motivate anyone to allow such a cretin as this back in to what is held out to be a form of "all-American family entertainment"? Get back to me on that, willya?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Because, for one thing they wouldn't have gotten the over one million dollar money settlement which went to caring for dogs. Also, it saves the government a lot of money to take a plea rather than prosecute a high profile case, not to mention that had the government messed up or a technicality went the wrong way Vick could have walked.

No prosecutor worth her/his paycheck turns down a sure thing. About the only time a deal is never offered is in a 1st degree murder case or a very serious sex crime like rape or child sexual abuse.
"Settlement"? Didn't know they did settlements in criminal cases. I thought they imposed fines and/or required restitution. Also, I'm not familiar with a million dollar fine imposed on Vick as part of his sentence.

So the prosecutor felt that making an example of Vick was not worth losing the $1 million? Of course it costs a lot of money to prosecute a case, however, when they have a strong case, especially high profile, they don't usually back down. Here they had an opportunity to make an EXAMPLE out of a guy who, as you all have said, had been a role model for kids. But they decided the money was worth more than the kids? You see, the government would KNOW in advance, before going to trial, if there were a "technicality" problem....

Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Vick served his sentence. that is ALL we as a society require of people when they break the law, serve the sentence, then the debt to society is paid. Vick is on probation I think, which means he's being supervised. Vick also worked for the Humane Society. What further punishment do you think should be imposed? Btw, I'm a big animal lover myself and I think what Vick did was horrendous......have you ever watched that Animal Planet show where they rescue animals from abusive situations? If you're going to sentence Vick to a lifetime of poverty in addition to a prison sentence and probation, then you'll have to do the same with all those people arrested on that show.....and all the people who do the same thing and are caught but are not on TV shows. At least Vick was stopped from what he was doing, and now he has a chance to PROVE that he will never be cruel to any animal again.

President Obama (the correct spelling in case you didn't know) was, IMO, right to support second chances.
Condemning someone to a life of poverty and welcoming them, with open arms, back in to a lucrative career are two different things.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Really? NOBODY has told anyone to "drop it"?
ONE POST. Pardon me. NOBODY, other than ONE post has told you all to "drop it."

Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
"Settlement"? Didn't know they did settlements in criminal cases. I thought they imposed fines and/or required restitution. Also, I'm not familiar with a million dollar fine imposed on Vick as part of his sentence.

So the prosecutor felt that making an example of Vick was not worth losing the $1 million? Of course it costs a lot of money to prosecute a case, however, when they have a strong case, especially high profile, they don't usually back down. Here they had an opportunity to make an EXAMPLE out of a guy who, as you all have said, had been a role model for kids. But they decided the money was worth more than the kids? You see, the government would KNOW in advance, before going to trial, if there were a "technicality" problem....
They did a money settlement in this case because they had Vick by his nads. Let me turn this question around, if the case against Vick wasn't iron clad, why did he cop a plea? Why didn't he fight it?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:04 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
ONE POST. Pardon me. NOBODY, other than ONE post has told you all to "drop it."
*sigh* I prove you wrong and provide an example and now you say only ONE person has suggested such. Go back and reread all of the other Vick threads and you will see plenty more examples of posters telling people to "get over it". In fact, my post was partially a preemptive statement towards those posters from past Vick threads. Feel free to use the search button, but I'm not going to do the work for you just to continue to prove you wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies