Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,595,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Parents should have a LOT to do with who is a role model for their children. If parents "worship" athletes, then I guess their children will too.
That is also true. But parents are not the final influence, sadly. Isn't this why michelle obama wants to take over school lunches?

It is also true that, besides unfortunatley being potus, obummer is also a parent. Congratulating Vick set a wonderful example for his children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,869 posts, read 1,095,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Yes, I do have information on this case that hasn't been made public.
So, WHY did the prosecutor let Vick take a plea? WHY did the prosecutor CHOOSE to not go to trial? It takes BOTH sides to agree to let a defendant take a plea as opposed to going to trial. Why didn't the prosecutor make an example of Vick?

6,484 posts, read 6,625,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
As if people needed another reason to dislike Obama, now he's happy that the Eagles have given Vick a second chance. Really? This is something the POTUS needs to be weighing in on? And more importantly, why?

With so many people (myself included) who can never forget the crimes that Vick committed against helpless animals... torture, electrocution, drowning, etc., should Obama really be throwing his opinion into the ring and opening himself up to more criticism?

I get the whole "he paid his dues to society" BS, but that doesn't warm my heart at night knowing that he's raking in millions of dollars just two years after being released from prison for animal cruelty charges that he pleaded guilty to. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to earn money and live his life (although if it were up to me he would have gotten the death penalty for his crimes), but it doesn't make me happy either. Regardless, I don't think it was wise of Obama to throw his support behind Vick, a convicted animal torturer.
Didn't he snub the World Series winning Giants and not call them? Now he decides to speak out about how heart-warming it is to see Vick do well?

Are there votes at stake in Philly?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,338,126 times
Quote:
The right-wing folks are going to hate Obama regardless of what he does, so he certainly should do what he believes is the right thing to do.

You get the whole "he paid his dues to society" BS??? Exactly what does that mean, BS? We have laws, he broke laws, he was sentenced to prison for breaking those laws (that was the punishmen), he served the time, and, yes, he did pay his debt. You worry that he is making millions now? He made millions BEFORE. Would you prefer that he be without a job, or working for barely subsistence money, and a WELFARE RECIPIENT, then YOUR TAX MONEY could help support him?

You say it doesn't make you happy that Vick has a right to live his life and earn money? What sort of Draconian punishment would make you happy? Oh, I see. You prefer the death penalty for his crime. Oh, I see. What about Vick's work for the Humane Society after he got out? More "BS" in your opinion?
Yes he fulfilled his legal obligations with his prison and probation sentencing, but BS as in now some people claim that we should simply erase his past actions from our thoughts and never speak about them or express disgust and horror at what he did ever again. Why is it that those who feel that Vick's actions are unforgivable are being told to drop it since "he paid his dues to society"? I don't have to like the guy no matter how many months he spent in prison and I will never forgive him for what he put defenseless animals through for pure profit and enjoyment. The same would hold true for a convicted rapist or child molester after being released from prison. Yes, he has the legal right to pursue whatever career he chooses now and make as much as the market will allow. It doesn't have to sit well with me however. And why Obama feels the need to throw his support behind this despicable sorry excuse of a human being, I don't know. I think this was an immensely stupid move on his part. There are plenty of other ex-cons who are more deserving than this POS. It makes me question what Obama's true motivations really are.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,200,158 times
Answers.com - How many convicted felons currently play in the NFL

Dog killer Michael Vick will join other felons in the NFL - Norfolk Crime | Examiner.com
According to the federal indictment, when dogs at Vick’s Bad Newz Kennels lost a fight, or failed to perform well in ‘test matches,’ they were routinely killed by methods including electrocution, hanging, drowning, and in at least one case by “slamming” the dog’s body onto the concrete floor. In one session in April 2007, at least eight dogs were killed through these methods.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,200,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
There was a time when an athlete and a gentleman were one and the same, and every athlete knew instinctively that s/he was a role model.

Vick copped a plea because, had he allowed it to go to court, a helluva lot more bad stuff would have come out.

Vick shouldn't even be allowed to attend a professional sporting event, much less participate in one.
I met Johnny Unitas once what a great guy .

Old 12-29-2010, 10:41 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,095,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
That is also true. But parents are not the final influence, sadly. Isn't this why michelle obama wants to take over school lunches?

It is also true that, besides unfortunatley being potus, obummer is also a parent. Congratulating Vick set a wonderful example for his children.
Vick served his sentence. that is ALL we as a society require of people when they break the law, serve the sentence, then the debt to society is paid. Vick is on probation I think, which means he's being supervised. Vick also worked for the Humane Society. What further punishment do you think should be imposed? Btw, I'm a big animal lover myself and I think what Vick did was horrendous......have you ever watched that Animal Planet show where they rescue animals from abusive situations? If you're going to sentence Vick to a lifetime of poverty in addition to a prison sentence and probation, then you'll have to do the same with all those people arrested on that show.....and all the people who do the same thing and are caught but are not on TV shows. At least Vick was stopped from what he was doing, and now he has a chance to PROVE that he will never be cruel to any animal again.

President Obama (the correct spelling in case you didn't know) was, IMO, right to support second chances.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yes he fulfilled his legal obligations with his prison and probation sentencing, but BS as in now some people claim that we should simply erase his past actions from our thoughts and never speak about them or express disgust and horror at what he did ever again. Why is it that those who feel that Vick's actions are unforgivable are being told to drop it since "he paid his dues to society"? I don't have to like the guy no matter how many months he spent in prison and I will never forgive him for what he put defenseless animals through for pure profit and enjoyment. The same would hold true for a convicted rapist or child molester after being released from prison. Yes, he has the legal right to pursue whatever career he chooses now and make as much as the market will allow. It doesn't have to sit well with me however. And why Obama feels the need to throw his support behind this despicable sorry excuse of a human being, I don't know. I think this was an immensely stupid move on his part. There are plenty of other ex-cons who are more deserving than this POS. It makes me question what Obama's true motivations really are.

VIck is a sick pos and does not deserve a second chance as a professional athlete. I wouldn't want him picking up my garbage! The man is trash.

Obama's motivations have never been what is best for this country. He has shown that countless times.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,338,126 times
Quote:
So, WHY did the prosecutor let Vick take a plea? WHY did the prosecutor CHOOSE to not go to trial? It takes BOTH sides to agree to let a defendant take a plea as opposed to going to trial. Why didn't the prosecutor make an example of Vick?
I don't know if this was the reasoning in Vick's case, but a lot of times it comes down to money. It's very costly to bring a case to trial, and sometimes it's prudent to agree to a plea bargain. That's my best guess as to why the prosecutor agreed to the plea deal.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Vick served his sentence. that is ALL we as a society require of people when they break the law, serve the sentence, then the debt to society is paid. Vick is on probation I think, which means he's being supervised. Vick also worked for the Humane Society. What further punishment do you think should be imposed? Btw, I'm a big animal lover myself and I think what Vick did was horrendous......have you ever watched that Animal Planet show where they rescue animals from abusive situations? If you're going to sentence Vick to a lifetime of poverty in addition to a prison sentence and probation, then you'll have to do the same with all those people arrested on that show.....and all the people who do the same thing and are caught but are not on TV shows. At least Vick was stopped from what he was doing, and now he has a chance to PROVE that he will never be cruel to any animal again.

President Obama (the correct spelling in case you didn't know) was, IMO, right to support second chances.
You obviously have a VERY different sense of what is right and wrong than I do.

And btw.....don't bother telling me how to spell Obummer's name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies