Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,305,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I agree, I served and so did most of the men and some of the women in my family and none of us can be considered to be conservatives. It is a myth that was invented by the right a few years back, problem is few question it.
Casper
Yep...it's been taken as gospel for so long that people just automatically believe it. It's complete nonsense. When i see Obama with the troops, they don't look too unhappy to me. That's not to say they all vote for him, but he's certainly popular with a large segment of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:43 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,486,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I noticed that the article freely mixes "Conservative" with "conservative".
They are not the same.

I'm conservative but not a Conservative.
Make the article just that more less credible.
Well see, there you go.... you obviously have a fear of capital "C's"!

Seriously though, I think what conservative folks are really most "afraid" of, is simply "change" (which BTW, pretty much means all of modern life these days). And some more than others seem to equate that with a feeling of losing control in their lives.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:57 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,358,214 times
Fear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paranoia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-29-2010, 01:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,683,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post

Seriously though, I think what conservative folks are really most "afraid" of, is simply "change" (which BTW, pretty much means all of modern life these days). And some more than others seem to equate that with a feeling of losing control in their lives.
There is the Conservative party.
There are conservative values.

They are not one in the same.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:11 PM

14,498 posts, read 11,326,911 times
Quote:

True, I remember when the IPhone came out, the conservatives came out in force with signs declaring the moral bankruptcy of the telephone.

Everyone fears change that they don't want. That includes liberals.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
True, I remember when the IPhone came out, the conservatives came out in force with signs declaring the moral bankruptcy of the telephone.

Everyone fears change that they don't want. That includes liberals.
True, but some just fear "change", period.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:22 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,358,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is the Conservative party.
There are conservative values.

They are not one in the same.

Conservative politics vs Liberal Politics:

"Jane Curtin: Dan, only a reactionary ass such as yourself could oppose full diplomatic relations with China. As President Carter said, it is a simple recognition of reality. How can we ignore eight hundred million people? But, then again, I guess it's your habit to ignore reality. You're a paranoid schizophrenic, Dan, whose politics are obviously born out of some buried infantile trauma. You hide from reality, constructing a hostile world to justify your own incapacity for love and compassion. Go ahead, Dan, live in your dark, lonely world. The rest of us will extend our hands in friendship to eight hundred million human beings, saying, "Hi! You do exist. Let's be friends."

"Dan Aykroyd: Jane, you ignorant ****. My personality profile is not at issue here, any more than is your inability to achieve orgasm. The issue is Taiwan. How can we expect to have the confidence of any free nation when we stab one of our most faithful allies in the back. I suppose you'd like to conduct our foreign policy the way you conduct your private life, hopping from bed to bed with anyone that can do you some good. Then what do you have? An old, dried-out scuzz that no decent man would be seen with. Is that what you want for America? It's too late for you, Jane, but our country still has some dignity left, you hosebag!"

SNL Transcripts: Elliot Gould: 12/16/78: Weekend Update with Jane Curtin & Bill Murray

Old 12-29-2010, 01:38 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,010,098 times
Fearful conservatives are more generous than care-free liberals.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Is that kinda like Gordon Gecko's "Greed is Good"?

Maybe that should become the new motto for Fox News, "Fear is Healthy!!"

Old 12-29-2010, 01:54 PM

32,832 posts, read 19,555,055 times
Quote:
Is that kinda like Gordon Gecko's "Greed is Good"?

Maybe that should become the new motto for Fox News, "Fear is Healthy!!"
pmsnbc pumps out more fear than any other station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies