Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
^Conspiracy theory
SEIU front group, meet Nineties Flava.

Nineties Flava, meet SEIU front group.

"SEIU (WWW.SEIU.ORG) 1800 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC
National Capital Area: 202-730-7000; Toll-free: 800-424-8592"

Campaign for Quality Services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Okay, I'll play. Where does the money lead us? To the school lunch lady?

Only if she belongs to SEIU...

Campaign for Quality Services

Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So you are in favor of scrapping the school lunch program that has been around for >60 years? You're going to have some awfully angry farmers. And why should anyone tell kids to exercise any more than they should tell them what to eat? Why does it matter who is doing the "telling"?

PLease note I'm saying this as devil's advocate; I have no problem with PE in schools.
School programs should not rest on the appeasement of any special interest group. P.E. is a recognized School Subject that was part of the educational process long before the Feds started to get involved. Then came the Federal Testing mandates including NCLB (and yes, I am aware that was not this adm. doing) with their carrot of Fed. Funding dangling contingent on test results and away went all the extras that individual states could choose to offer so the schools could teach to the test and teach what the Fed Gov wanted taught. And it is only getting worse. Now, the Fed Gov is telling us what Michelle Obama thinks is healthy is what we can offer to feed the kids in school and what kind of fundraising we can do. And now the schools are using our tax money to feed more meals to kids in school. (Not just lunch, and then breakfast and now dinners.) It is too much Federal Control/Spending. The States used to be in control of the schools long before the Dept. of Education was founded. That meant more local input and more parental input. That was good! That is my opinion and I know yours is different and, at least for the time being, until Michelle Obama deems its unhealthy and we should all be thinking the same thoughts, that's fine. America = Freedom & Individuality. Not imprisoned in someones's Utopian Fantasy.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
School programs should not rest on the appeasement of any special interest group. P.E. is a recognized School Subject that was part of the educational process long before the Feds started to get involved. Then came the Federal Testing mandates including NCLB (and yes, I am aware that was not this adm. doing) with their carrot of Fed. Funding dangling contingent on test results and away went all the extras that individual states could choose to offer so the schools could teach to the test and teach what the Fed Gov wanted taught. And it is only getting worse. Now, the Fed Gov is telling us what Michelle Obama thinks is healthy is what we can offer to feed the kids in school and what kind of fundraising we can do. And now the schools are using our tax money to feed more meals to kids in school. (Not just lunch, and then breakfast and now dinners.) It is too much Federal Control/Spending. The States used to be in control of the schools long before the Dept. of Education was founded. That meant more local input and more parental input. That was good! That is my opinion and I know yours is different and, at least for the time being, until Michelle Obama deems its unhealthy and we should all be thinking the same thoughts, that's fine. America = Freedom & Individuality. Not imprisoned in someones's Utopian Fantasy.
You really need to study up on school funding. The feds provide a small portion of most school's budget (usually < 10% including the school lunch program). The school lunch program is NOT something new, nor are school breakfasts, and there have always been requirements for what the lunches contain. Link after link has been posted in this thread about these issue. I'm not looking them up again. Do a search through this thread.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
You really need to study up on school funding. The feds provide a small portion of most school's budget (usually < 10% including the school lunch program). The school lunch program is NOT something new, nor are school breakfasts, and there have always been requirements for what the lunches contain. Link after link has been posted in this thread about these issue. I'm not looking them up again. Do a search through this thread.
I am fully aware of these facts. None of which change my mind/opinion. Yes. We already have Federally funded school lunches with requirements for the nutritional value of those lunches.( And no, President Regan, Ketchup does NOT constitute a vegetable.) We do NOT need any more regulations, especially not from Michelle Obama. I would like to see LESS Federal Regulation in the schools. NOT more.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I am fully aware of these facts. None of which change my mind/opinion. Yes. We already have Federally funded school lunches with requirements for the nutritional value of those lunches.( And no, President Regan, Ketchup does NOT constitute a vegetable.) We do NOT need any more regulations, especially not from Michelle Obama. I would like to see LESS Federal Regulation in the schools. NOT more.
Michelle Obama did not write this bill. Please review "How a bill becomes a law".

Old 01-03-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Michelle Obama did not write this bill. Please review "How a bill becomes a law".
Oh, stop with the "lessons." Good grief, woman. We are obviously worlds apart on political philosophies. Me: Small Government/Individual Rights & Responsibilities = You: Big Government/Common Good =

Face it. We are not going to agree. Shall we just give it a rest? (I have a nutricious dinner of my own choosing I need to go and prepare for my kids!) Have a good evening.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Even worse: Laura Bush wanted children to read books! Just outrageous!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Oh, stop with the "lessons." Good grief, woman. We are obviously worlds apart on political philosophies. Me: Small Government/Individual Rights & Responsibilities = You: Big Government/Common Good =

Face it. We are not going to agree. Shall we just give it a rest? (I have a nutricious dinner of my own choosing I need to go and prepare for my kids!) Have a good evening.
You're quite the mind reader. If you don't want to discuss the issue, don't post.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
You're quite the mind reader. If you don't want to discuss the issue, don't post.
Honey, we HAVE discussed the issue...at length. And now, I don't know about you, but I have a life. Feel free to post, there are many other posters with lots of opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies