Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your social and personal stance on abortion?
I'm Pro choice & I would never ever have an abortion 6 3.59%
I'm Pro choice & I would only have an abortion if my life was in danger 0 0%
I'm Pro choice & I would only have an abortion for the above or if the baby's life was in danger 6 3.59%
I'm Pro choice & I would only have an abortion for the above or if the baby would be disabled 3 1.80%
I'm Pro choice & I would only have an abortion for the above or in the case of incest 1 0.60%
I'm Pro choice & I would only have an abortion for the above or in the case of rape 8 4.79%
I'm Pro choice & I would have an abortion for the above or if I couldn't raise the baby 29 17.37%
I'm Pro choice & I would definitely have an abortion, even if I could take care of the baby. 23 13.77%
I'm Pro choice & I would give the baby up for adoption. 3 1.80%
I'm Pro-Life & I would never ever have an abortion 16 9.58%
I'm Pro-Life & I would only have an abortion if my life was in danger 13 7.78%
I'm Pro-Life & I would only have an abortion if the baby's life was in danger 0 0%
I'm Pro-Life & I would only have an abortion if the baby would be disabled 0 0%
I'm Pro-Life & I would only have an abortion in the case of incest 1 0.60%
I'm Pro-Life & I would only have an abortion in the case of rape. 1 0.60%
I'm Pro-Life & I would have an abortion if I couldn't raise the baby 2 1.20%
I'm Pro-Life & I would definitely have an abortion, even if I could take care of the baby. 1 0.60%
I'm Pro-Life & I would give the baby up for adoption. 4 2.40%
I'm a man, I read your request, and I still don't care. It's her choice. 29 17.37%
I'm gay, I read your request, and I still don't care. It's her choice. 11 6.59%
I'm post-menopausal, I read your request, and I still don't care. It's her choice. 10 5.99%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

We are living by the rules of life right now and some people don't seem to like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Maybe if a single women gets pregnant and chooses to be a parent by choice and the man they have sex with doesn't, they shouldn't expect any child support.

It's one thing to get pregnant when you're on the pill, but to blatantly lie about being on the pill, is another story. This has nothing to do with hating children:confused
Men who have sex with a single woman aren't necessary agreeing to be a father when they have sex.
Most women, even though they won't admit it - know
this.

Women many times use pregnancy to try to trap a
guy - I know it would seem archaic in this day in
age with birth control, but it still happens.

Point being, the guys really don't have a say in anything after having sex,
but everyone has a say to their pocket book.
Women have lied for years about birth control that is why it is a man's responsibility to at least use a condom if they aren't interested in having a child.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:11 PM

912 posts, read 827,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Women have lied for years about birth control that is why it is a man's responsibility to at least use a condom if they aren't interested in having a child.
A real mans responsibility is to make a life time commitment and follow through with it before pretending that he is a family man in the sack.

I ultimately blame men. Men are to blame for using women as objects.
If he or she is good enough to pretend in the sack that theres something behind the expression, then he or she is good enough for a real family.

Where there is no morals...there is no romance, no respect for life, excuses for not bringing in a new baby to the world and whats left is a world full of frustrated , confused people.

Its not my fault that is what all the threads show...."frustration"

Marriage does not last because sex on a dime is out there.

Morality equals sanity.

There will never be a return to economic growth until massive repair to general morality is in focus .

Its not a matter of being spiritual or religious , its common sense to an
elementary decency.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
A real mans responsibility is to make a life time commitment and follow through with it before pretending that he is a family man in the sack.

If he or she is good enough to pretend in the sack that theres something behind the expression, then he or she is good enough for a real family.

Where there is no morals...there is no romance, no respect for life, excuses for not bringing in a new baby to the world and whats left is a world full of frustrated , confused people.

Morality equals sanity.

There will never be a return to economic growth until massive repair to general morality is in focus .

elementary decency.
what's moral?
just be gay and don't screw women.. problem solved

Old 01-10-2011, 02:24 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
As a guy, I used to feel that abortion is really none of my concern. I won't have one, so why should I care?
A few years ago, something happened and it really changed my view on this. I had these 2 friends whom I went to high school with. They dated off and on throughout high school, but after we graduated they seemed to get more serious. They were about 22 and she got pregnant. They weren't in the best situation at the moment (financially, school, etc) and a kid was just not the right thing for them at the time. Well, that's how she put it. He, on the other hand, somewhat embraced it. He wasn't excited about it, but realized if they were going to have a kid there had to be a lot of changes right now. She wasn't having that. Luckily she found out early that she was pregnant (like 3 weeks in) so they had some time to argue, lol.

It ended with her having an abortion because it just wasn't the right thing for HER at the moment. He of course left her, and she played the victim card and said he doesn't respect her right to choose, blah blah blah.

Regardless of this one specific encounter, it amuses me that it's "empowering" to women to have to this full choice. Yet, if the tables were turned and my friend told her he was NOT ready for this, but she was ok with it---He would have absolutely no choice in the matter. He will have to stay around, or he'll eventually get sued for child support.

It takes 2 people to make a child, but why does only 1 person get a say in it? I don't care if it's in a woman's body. It got there because of him and he has every right about what goes on. At the very least, why aren't men allowed to legally be off the hook from raising the child? If he can't afford it, why should he be forced? If she can't afford it, she can just have an abortion.

So I truly have no idea where I stand with abortion. I DO support choice, but I also believe men should have a choice as well.
But then again.. I support equality. Not "special rights"

Old 01-10-2011, 02:50 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Well, I called my brother and finally asked him. He said he used a condom too, not for pregnancy but for STD. It doesn't matter now - he has a daughter that he loves, but never sees, but pays for anyways.

And I think, now he wants to become a Monk

I'm all for women's Choice - but I'm for honesty too.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:58 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:

Morality equals sanity.

elementary decency.
I don't think you should blame men, but I do agree with
your statement: Marriage does not last because sex on a dime is out there.

My brother's marriage lasted 2 months.

You can wrap yourself up in body armor and still you might end up with an unwanted pregnancy.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
One more thing Memphis1979..................

I am part of society. Society provides consequence for moral behavior. While YOUR moral behavior is your option, you MAY NOT avoid consequence of society's determination for individual choice in moral conduct.

The individual also provides consequence to behavior. Many times this consequence is much more severe than community or legal application.

The guilty ones know who they are and wrestle with conscience rather than
submitting to self acknowledged error. The end result is a groping in life for acceptance. This of course sends an acute message to society that there is a serious problem with self acceptance and the individual should be avoided. Never can there be "balance" in the presentation of one laden with guilt.....as such....

Gods Will is done and justified , glorified in all. The guilty ones who REFUSE to recognize error and go forward pack their bags and move to their
............DESOLUTE ISLAND as if nature shows the way in an attempt towards freedom in the spirit.
The desolate island is abundant in many lives......EDIT....I DID NOT MAKE UP THE RULES OF LIFE
Just one more time.

1. My conscience is fine, clean, I have no problem with it. Know why? I'd never want my SO to get an abortion, unless she was raped, or the child was going to be born harmed, or she would be harmed. But its not my choice.

2. Society as a whole thinks that you are wrong. You can think that society is going to judge the wicked, but most folks feel the same way I do.

3. God has nothing to do with politics or personal choice. If anything, I am more on the side of the Christian "God" than you are. Remember, God allowed humans to have self thought and to be self aware. God lets us make our own mistakes, and supposedly live and die by them. All I'm suggesting is that you do the same thing God was a big fan of, and allow personal choice.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times
Quote:
"Sex on a dime" has always, and will always, "be out there." It is not the real reason that marriages fail. Commitment and sexual monogamy are separate concepts that do not always go together. Relatively few people are "naturally monogamous" yet most people fall into the trap of thinking that "true love" = lifelong commitment to monogamy, and thus they think they have to make a commitment to lifelong monogamy if they want to be married. For most people, this is a set up for failure. Commitment should be about love and mutual responsibility, not sex.

Quote:
Morality equals sanity.
This is only true if you follow moral precepts that are compatible with rational thinking - which is exactly why so much of what counts as "religious" thinking is morally dangerous. Most religions promote irrational faith over reason. If a holy book says to rape and kill your enemies, then people will do it, and they will feel that they are moral in doing so.

Quote:
There will never be a return to economic growth until massive repair to general morality is in focus.
I'm not sure about economic growth (the US economy burst into world dominance during highly immoral decades primarily because of the widespread raping of workers and the environment), but long term social health and prosperity certainly do depend on morality - so long as the moral system is rooted in rationality rather than the irrational babbling found in ancient manuscripts.

Quote:
Its not a matter of being spiritual or religious , its common sense to an elementary decency.
The most elementary form of decency is to allow people to live their lives as they see fit, so long as they are not infringing upon the rights of others to do the same. This is essentially the Golden Rule.

Now, what does all of this have to do with abortion? A fetus is not a person; it is part of woman's body until it is born. IF a woman chooses to give birth, then it is her moral responsibility to take the best possible care of her body, for the sake of the fetus (no drinking, smoking etc.) But it is not her moral responsibility to give birth if she feels it is not the right thing to do. Our moral responsibility is to let her make her own choice, even if we personally don't like her choice.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:20 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
A woman's body is her body, and she should have the right to do whatever she wants with it without any government intervention. As much as I love Ron Paul and Alex Jones, this is one issue I vehemently disagree with them on. That being said, I am against abortion myself, but I have no right to tell someone else what to do, and neither should the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies