Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,237,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Really?

Are you a native English speaker?

not english, american.

also, registering leads to disarmanent, and banning certains types of firearms or magazines limits the rights of the people. the Constitution and Bill of Rights are there to limit the goverment, not the people.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,117,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
By banning them from possessing a firearm....

Such as felons.

You support that right?
Depends on how you define membership the group.

If membership in the group is defined based on past individual behavior, I would certainly be open to the idea.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,913,443 times
Quote:
Depends on how you define membership the group.

If membership in the group is defined based on past individual behavior, I would certainly be open to the idea.
So you do not favor restricting the mentally ill from possessing firearms?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
not english, american.
There is no such language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching
also, registering leads to disarmanent, and banning certains types of firearms or magazines limits the rights of the people. the Constitution and Bill of Rights are there to limit the goverment, not the people.
So... you are changing your assertion here towards a position that is at least linguistically defensible. That's a good thing, because you were frankly not making much sense previously.

That said, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are about managing the inherent conflicts that naturally arise between the rights of the individual and the rights of the community. It is the same reason we have developed systems of morals, ethics and civil/criminal law. And I agree with you completely that the inherent foundational bias written into the Constitution is in favor of individual liberty.

And yet, you will note that while the Constitution limits the coercive power of government in certain areas, it asserts the coercive power of government in others. The preamble of the Constitution recognizes the critical centrality of the community; "We the People..." not "Me the person..."

The Framers did not have a warm and fuzzy relationship with anarchy.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
So you do not favor restricting the mentally ill from possessing firearms?
It depends on the specific mental illness demonstrated by the individual.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,913,443 times
Quote:
It depends on the specific mental illness demonstrated by the individual.
Okay...how about depression....should everyone who is diagnosed with depression lose their right to possess a firearm?

32,832 posts, read 19,556,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
The very suggestion of some to force those who have become poor & collect UE or welfare to get drug testing is also taking someones rights away.
What comes around goes around.
Don't school me & try to explain that 'it's not the same'. It is.

When we take rights away from anyone in this country & force them to comply, we are actually opening the door for more & more rules. Eventually those who suggest such things will also become effected.

how is requiring a drug test for welfare a problem....a drug test is required for many things..why do you think the 'government check' welfare people should get off??

16,880 posts, read 15,237,640 times
Quote:
There is no such language.

So... you are changing your assertion here towards a position that is at least linguistically defensible. That's a good thing, because you were frankly not making much sense previously.

That said, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are about managing the inherent conflicts that naturally arise between the rights of the individual and the rights of the community. It is the same reason we have developed systems of morals, ethics and civil/criminal law. And I agree with you completely that the inherent foundational bias written into the Constitution is in favor of individual liberty.

And yet, you will note that while the Constitution limits the coercive power of government in certain areas, it asserts the coercive power of government in others. The preamble of the Constitution recognizes the critical centrality of the community; "We the People..." not "Me the person..."

The Framers did not have a warm and fuzzy relationship with anarchy.

true the framers did not have or want a anarchy, but they did want a limited goverment. it is just that the politicians forget that.

I dont speak proper english, and I doubt very many americans do. they speak american, which has been called a bastardized version of the english language, but I prefer to call it the american language with a bunch of different dialects.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
true the framers did not have or want a anarchy, but they did want a limited goverment. it is just that the politicians forget that.
It is always dangerous to throw out blanket generalities like that, because all generalities are wrong. Even this one.

First and foremost, why do we have the Constitution at all, instead of still operating under the Articles of Confederation? This is because the Framers understood that under the Articles the government was too limited and it was not working. They specifically wrote the Constitution to adjust the balance in the direction of greater governmental power.

The debate between the Federalists and the Anti-federalists could not make this point any more explicitly. And ultimately, it was the federalists who won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching
I dont speak proper english, and I doubt very many americans do. they speak american, which has been called a bastardized version of the english language, but I prefer to call it the american language with a bunch of different dialects.
Your preference is noted. It is unlikely to gain much sympathy from people who actually know what a dialect is.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Okay...how about depression....should everyone who is diagnosed with depression lose their right to possess a firearm?
I am not a psychiatrist or psychologist. You are asking me to make a distinction I am frankly not qualified to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies