Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
So, to speed things up, you might be suggesting that the Government bubble be burst?

Like, lanced, or something?

Could get pretty pusy for a while.
Actually, that would be a good thing, short term anyhow.

They decided to interfere in the "free market" system in a big way rather where there should have been failures, so they are now part of that free market on a global free market perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 06:34 PM

838 posts, read 922,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I read this whole thread. I agree with Driller. The gov made this mess. Bill Clinton sold us out to China, the EPA ties our hands, and Ins is gonna try to starve us into FEMA concentration camps, but for a reason.

If the gov made camps to 'help' just exactly what help would they give, that has been stolen for / from others.

Let the gov get out of the way of industry, and we can all get jobs back, maybe even with a little meaning.

Of course a millions of broke people make things great for Gov to controll.

I'ld say a camp for sheep who don't mind TSA Nazi projects testing might work for the weak and those who will trade Liberty and Freedom for safety and security, but that might be a bowl of gray oatmeal and a jug of water in a uniform of crude gray, living in a gray concentration camp. The gov like gray a lot and too often barred.

Once you enter you probably won't get back out.

Comrade Hillary was on the CNN today almost talking about this very thing. She said in the 21st cent there is no point in a 19th cent fix. That's a point i suppose, but it makes me wonder why she skipped the 20th so fast. I think in her mind was 'concentration camps.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Actually, that would be a good thing, short term anyhow.

They decided to interfere in the "free market" system in a big way rather where there should have been failures, so they are now part of that free market on a global free market perspective.
Well, yeah, if you want to continue calling it, "free".

Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Well, yeah, if you want to continue calling it, "free".
Lol, I know there is nothing free about it.

Free Markets have never existed anywhere as long as governments are involved somewhere along the line, be it military, lobbyists, a countries infrastructure etc,
all that should be paid for by business's in a truly free market.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:54 PM

838 posts, read 922,375 times
Quote:
Perhaps in the end, it is best if homeless fend for themselves as suggested

I also suggest we cut not just a little, but all military, because it only benefits big business, interstate commerce and the government.

Let them fend for themselves as well.

That would save a lot of money and shrink the government.

As many posters elaborated. It is my money and if they want it, they have to pay for it

Of course, that also works well with the world government plans too come to think of it...

Who needs borders?
Yes, just as the powers want, so we must maintain our borders or cease to be America...

Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Yes, of course we need borders or cease to be America, main job of military is to protect our borders.
Borders protected? You mean like the Mexican border where there is a war going on and cheap labor is coming across taking "jobs Americans want do" because they deflated the costs so much that it takes 5 of them living together to make ends meet, where a person could support themselves on it in the past?

Their not protecting any borders whatsoever, but protecting their interests aboard in other nations, for the global games of which is not American borders.

If it is about patriotism and America first, then bring the troops back home and station them on AMERICAN borders, not the pseudo borders in other nations for the great global financial empire.

In case you missed it, these people don't give a ** about America and its homeland or its protection, and have no loyalty to it, only so much as they can draw wealth from it or abroad.

The Rise of the New Global Elite - Magazine - The Atlantic

The Rise of the New Global Elite

Quote:
The good news—and the bad news—for America is that the nation’s own super-elite is rapidly adjusting to this more global perspective. The U.S.-based CEO of one of the world’s largest hedge funds told me that his firm’s investment committee often discusses the question of who wins and who loses in today’s economy. In a recent internal debate, he said, one of his senior colleagues had argued that the hollowing-out of the American middle class didn’t really matter. “His point was that if the transformation of the world economy lifts four people in China and India out of poverty and into the middle class, and meanwhile means one American drops out of the middle class, that’s not such a bad trade,” the CEO recalled.

I heard a similar sentiment from the Taiwanese-born, 30-something CFO of a U.S. Internet company. A gentle, unpretentious man who went from public school to Harvard, he’s nonetheless not terribly sympathetic to the complaints of the American middle class. “We demand a higher paycheck than the rest of the world,” he told me. “So if you’re going to demand 10 times the paycheck, you need to deliver 10 times the value. It sounds harsh, but maybe people in the middle class need to decide to take a pay cut.”

At last summer’s Aspen Ideas Festival, Michael Splinter, CEO of the Silicon Valley green-tech firm Applied Materials, said that if he were starting from scratch, only 20 percent of his workforce would be domestic. “This year, almost 90 percent of our sales will be outside the U.S.,” he explained. “The pull to be close to the customers—most of them in Asia—is enormous.” Speaking at the same conference, Thomas Wilson, CEO of Allstate, also lamented this global reality: “I can get [workers] anywhere in the world. It is a problem for America, but it is not necessarily a problem for American business … American businesses will adapt.”
I notice that the Tiawenese born ceo does not offer to take a paycut, and I bet he would not agree to having his pay cut to match those of the average CEO in other countries which much lower.

Also, in their benevolent nature, I have yet to see one pressure China for global pollution controls or regulations to help these people in China. Might make a dent in their pocket book.

The question that should be asked of future politicians in this country, is, Are you a globalist where America does not come first, or, Are you for America first?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear about the experiences you went through.

One thing I noticed though that really stood out.
Your options were limited.

Something many do not understand is that, when your own your last dime, your options are very limited. You can't just up and move across the country for example for a better job. Money means options, and more money means even more options means more power.

What happens when you have so much money your options are almost unlimited?

Money is no longer a driving need then, but power is, and power to control and shape not only your life but those around you becomes an obsession, like the psychopaths we have running the country and by extension the world at large.
The experience changed the whole way I look at things. My little house is said to be "really tiny" but there are not roomates other than the kind that bark or meow and nobody is telling me what to do. But I know always that whatever good stuff is going on could end just like that and that other shoe fall. I treasure EVERYTHING I have and enjoy like it might be the last time. Security is an illusion we like to clilng to until we know its not real.

I know the difference between need and want and gravy. Need feeds you, shelter you or keeps you warm. Want amuses you. Gravy is for the leftover resources. Gravy is rare. This was not a bad thing to learn but it is painful. For a time... then that literally lightning fast moment when you fully in this new place comes and it is your place. Survival mode teaches but its sometimes hard to shake when you get beyond and it can retrun easy.

And its so true that when push comes to shove and the motel money is gone you have just lost most of your options. You take what fufills your immediate need. A floor which is in a warm building, despite all the drawbacks, is better than a cold car (or putting up with a drunk friend). Because it isn't in us to continually torture ourselves we tend to close off the stuff that doesn't apply. So getting in is a relief and that tomorrow you have the same uncertainty is not even in radar. Tomorrow is gone poof. Today, the moment, is where you live.

Its true that money means options. I don't get much but it suffices for me. I can't convince myself that "stuff" matters like it did anymore. I have needs unmet but that is a challenge to be met. But they have passed the test. I'll venture that many who have been homeless have come to this conclusion. They may *have* goodies but the goodies are there because they are enjoyed, used and fufill something other than materialism.

Too bad it takes such a hard lesson to learn that and that so many are learning it now.

We are fast becoming an oligarchy with a structure worthy of a dictatorship but with a nice ineffecual facade and it doesn't matter who wins the real power remains unruffled while the pesants play at government.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:23 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:

In case you missed it, these people don't give a ** about America and its homeland or its protection, and have no loyalty to it, only so much as they can draw wealth from it or abroad.

The Rise of the New Global Elite - Magazine - The Atlantic
The question that should be asked of future politicians in this country, is, Are you a globalist where America does not come first, or, Are you for America first?
A better question might be, Are you for America, or are you for Corporations?

And, don't tell me that a corporation is a person, too!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ok, so how should the problem be dealt with? If it keeps people safe and off the streets and not banging down your door, what's the problem?
Simply being able to apply for unemployment compensation for being unemployed could solve our problem in a more market friendly manner.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The experience changed the whole way I look at things. My little house is said to be "really tiny" but there are not roomates other than the kind that bark or meow and nobody is telling me what to do. But I know always that whatever good stuff is going on could end just like that and that other shoe fall. I treasure EVERYTHING I have and enjoy like it might be the last time. Security is an illusion we like to clilng to until we know its not real.

I know the difference between need and want and gravy. Need feeds you, shelter you or keeps you warm. Want amuses you. Gravy is for the leftover resources. Gravy is rare. This was not a bad thing to learn but it is painful. For a time... then that literally lightning fast moment when you fully in this new place comes and it is your place. Survival mode teaches but its sometimes hard to shake when you get beyond and it can retrun easy.

And its so true that when push comes to shove and the motel money is gone you have just lost most of your options. You take what fufills your immediate need. A floor which is in a warm building, despite all the drawbacks, is better than a cold car (or putting up with a drunk friend). Because it isn't in us to continually torture ourselves we tend to close off the stuff that doesn't apply. So getting in is a relief and that tomorrow you have the same uncertainty is not even in radar. Tomorrow is gone poof. Today, the moment, is where you live.

Its true that money means options. I don't get much but it suffices for me. I can't convince myself that "stuff" matters like it did anymore. I have needs unmet but that is a challenge to be met. But they have passed the test. I'll venture that many who have been homeless have come to this conclusion. They may *have* goodies but the goodies are there because they are enjoyed, used and fufill something other than materialism.

Too bad it takes such a hard lesson to learn that and that so many are learning it now.

We are fast becoming an oligarchy with a structure worthy of a dictatorship but with a nice ineffecual facade and it doesn't matter who wins the real power remains unruffled while the pesants play at government.
Thanks for sharing that. There is a lot of wisdom in this post, gleaned no less from real life experiences.

The soul is like a flashlight, and it can only see and learn from where the flashlight is pointing. Knowledge is good, but it takes knowledge and real life experience to fully understand.

We are consciousness directed beings only allowing things into our mind that we can relate to and filtering out what does not apply.

As an example, when you buy a car, you all of a sudden see that same type of car, and color perhaps driving around, when you did not before. You weren't looking because it was not part of your paradigm even though the other cars were always there.

The same applies for everything in life. We may think we know something or how we would react, but until we experience it on a first hand level, we really don't know and is speculation from a distance point of view.

Your house my be tiny, but it is home. I live in an apartment, but am quite satisfied even though I could afford better. Needs have to be met, but rampant materialism is an addiction. I live the basic life and am quite happy. Small car that gets 40 MPG, 15 miles to work and can make it 2 weeks between fill ups on a 10 gallon tank.

Like you say, that could all change though, and am not worried.
The worst that could happen is death, and have already accepted that, therefore there is no longer anything to fear, by goverment or people. Everyday from that point of view is a new day with new lessons to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies