Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Most people who are homeless are there because of choice. I know, I have worked with homeless people...they have mental problems, or substance abuse issues that are more important to them than living in a shelter, and working, to get a job, and move out of a shelter. Drug use was more important than paying rent. In the case of those who have lost jobs...sorry, but I have worked the worst jobs, to pay rent...and don't buy "there were no jobs"...there were no jobs you wanted..I have seen that people who say they can't find work...are people who have someone else paying their bills...when no one pays your rent, and you don't want to be homeless, you can find a job.
I knew people who had initially hated the homeless lifestyle, wandering from sheter to shelter but got used to it. Seven years later they are still out there because its their lifestyle. These people will never go to a shelter which is designed to help you get back into the real world. The drug users are a wider problem as well. The mentally disabled are often those who have been dumped by the local mental health system and out of sight is out of mind. Some have disorders where they will never accept the kind of help they need. This is not a problem with homeless considerations alone but one of neglect of mental health systems. Not going to get started on the deficiencies of public mentla health clinics here...

But interestingly enough, some shellters will not even let you in if you tell them you take psych drugs. If you don't figure out to just lie then your done. I didn't claim to take anything. I don't need them now with stability in life, but my refuge would not have been one if I'd not chose to lie. At least half the regulars did but as long as the paperwork was clean and they didn't catch you nobody cared.

What helped me most was a stable place to live. The county put me up with a bunch of roomates, and when disability got approved I paid them back. For a LOT of people this would help who are probably homeless in part because of mental issues but do not want to live the lifestyle but cannot do most of the programs since they cannot work. If I had as much as gotten a very partime job it would have guarenteed disqualification even if the job itself did not succeed. This is something that must be understood about disability be it medical or psychlogical.

I met people who lost their homes too, and were doing whatever they could just to hang on. There is a game about how to do things at shelters and it takes time to learn how to play it. This would apply at ANY kind. Human nature is human nature. But having programs doesn't help if you don't reach out to those who need them. Instead of hiding in the city office, come out and tell those who would jump through the hoops and what the hoops are and see how many will jump at the chance.

From my experience some small things which would help enormously are these.

1. Somewhere to keep your stuff. Be it a locker or a dedicated space where you could lock it up, if you don't have to replace things which dissapear, or lug things around all day you would feel better, and just the act of feeling better is important. And if you get things which make you look nicer and can keep them nicer just that helps. You are seen as not a homeless person but a person. The most horrible part of being homeless is being looked at by so many as virtually invisible or at best, one of "them".

2. A place you KNOW you can come back to. Shelters are of two kinds. One is residental and you have to qualify. They disqualify you if you have health problems often. They automatically disqualify you if you are diagnosed, even in a mild case, with a psych problem and take meds. They are for those who are willing to jump through every hoop and play the game well. For most people these are useless.

If you went homeless because you had problems, and were working on them, had help but say its a group at night, you have to choose. You show up at 9:30pm at emergency shelter and you can leave. I was in group therapy and had to drop it since I never had a place to stay that night. Having dropped it could not get back in. Having the security of having a place you know will be there, even if its a bed and a secure place for your stuff for the night, is invaluable. People who don't know where they are going to sleep tonight go into survival mode, live one day at a time. You don't get better if thats how you live. Every minute of every day is aimed at the goal of getting through and being safe at night.

3. Shelter for those who can't work. This can be done a lot of ways. The Board and Care program worked wonderfully. It paid for itself since clients being helped by the county had a stable place to live, and a support system. The board part was supply of food (thought we mostly ended up buying our own since the landlord didn't hold up his end). There are rules and people did get kicked out. But we have thousands of empty houses, including mcmansions. Couldn't you house people there and give them a chance to find a better solution? Or create "bording houses" and require they be inspected and decently run like the board anc cares. (The landlord lost his contract, and everyone got moved out shortly after I did on my own). There would be rules, just standard, if I'm renting a room kind of rules too. This is providing housing but not segregating it in "sections" like public housing. Houses with someone in them, who either keeps it up or has no tenants, is a lot better than the sometimes decaying mess we have now.

What we must NOT do is hide the problem. We can't set up a section and call it homeless housing. We can't send people there to get them out of sight. Out of sight IS out of mind and not part of society. This just makes the creation of a sub-class of people even easier. Today the identifyably homeless (and many aren't) are a "them" and they get heaped on with blame for not being perfect. But what those of us who have been there know is no matter who you are and how good it is tomorrow it could be you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:04 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The Christians of which I am not, have no reason to help anyone since the very same have attacked them. Why would they?

What I am is pointless, but I go deeper in a like to Christain thing, closer to very old Native American and Manitoe, just so you know. Ravens, Turtles and that sort of thing.

Bill Clinton and his greedy chronies made this happen I watched it all happen. Bill sold out the whole USA.
You missed a few other rep points but it won't let me, dang it. Definately one for this one.

Excellent point... the whole radicallization of the religions here is making them narrowly focused. Sorry but I am no Christian, but pagan. I wear a pent. If it bothers someone that I'm Wiccan then fine. But while MOST of the church sponsered help is religion blind, the money isn't. I wouldn't trade my right to pick what I believe and have it respected over getting help. I don't want someone to tell me if I believe in Jesus it will all be better. That is NOT a way to help.

Churches if they were REALLY listening to their creator would give because its right to do, not to get more members to spread the propaganda.

I will commend the Lutherans for their social service wing. They do wonderfull excellent work, do not EVER bring up religion, and have been used as safety nets for a long time by municipalities because they are about doing good not doing something good for a feel good rah rah moment.

The Catholic services also will provide food aide without asking if your like them or mentioning religion. I'd like to see some of the hard core evangelicals try this without making judgements or bringing up religion and I might find some respect for them.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:07 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Like it or not, we are going to have a real problem on our hands. Our jobs have been shipped overseas and the truth is there simply are NOT enough jobs to go around. I don't see this improving.

Some people who are over 50 have killed themselves in despair. Others in their 20s wonder how they'll ever get out from under their student loan debt or be able to find a job.

For those who don't have family or friends to fall back on, isn't is really government and business's responsibility to provide for some kind of housing? I mean, we bailed out Wall Street. Now it's their turn. What's your opinion?
Fella I used to work with advocated putting the homeless into camps. Large fenced in colonies with cottages and garden plots.

You remind me of him.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:02 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,046 times
Quote:
But interestingly enough, some shellters will not even let you in if you tell them you take psych drugs. If you don't figure out to just lie then your done. I didn't claim to take anything. I don't need them now with stability in life, but my refuge would not have been one if I'd not chose to lie. At least half the regulars did but as long as the paperwork was clean and they didn't catch you nobody cared.
Providing for the general welfare should not require any citizen of the republic to have to bear false witness. We have our Bill of Rights for a reason; to ensure individual liberty. In my opinion, any public policy which provides for the general welfare must provide for the moral of true witness bearing in achieving that end.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Oh Daniel....... Ronald Regan created the first surplus since 1933 never the less it was play money but things looked pretty good.

Gerorge H W Bush walked into a great deal, and put more money in the bank. Things were looking a lot better. But a war broke out and he didn't finish it exactly. He stopped the bombing and failed to finish off Sadam for once and for all. Mostly because the left set up the most terrible squallor.

When you go to war it's a real good idea that if you can stop the enemy, you destroy all the rest of his material, and render the war lord ruler exstinct, like 6 feet under. Other wise they have the nasty habit of coming right back like any common criminal out on Paroll.

Next Billy the Bandit took the office wearing his blue jeans and playin that sax. That looked pretty cool to me too, and i voted for that idiot myself

He waltzed in to the biggest bank roll since 1933, and since he didn't EARN any of it; he felt like a shopaholic on a spending spree, and figured out how to enhance his image, give out free money, get a democratic house, who would help spend money, and get his a** another 4 years to spend.

He almost tried out for a 3rd and surely fatal term, so he got lucky, not having SEX with that woman if you ask me.

GWB walked into almost no money left in the bank, a mess of keyboards all missing the "W" key, and in the first 9th month 911, which is Bill the bandits fault for getting mixed up about cigars which I already explained.

I kinda wish you could use google a little better. I get the idea your one of the ones who either won't respond to asnwer when called or your into denile, like a ostrich with it's head in the sand. But i won't condem you quite yet.

I used to do a little deep sea sailing myself, and so I learned to never waste nuthin. The result is, I never once threw a beer, a box of choclates, or a pretty woman over board.

A man must know his limits.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
You missed a few other rep points but it won't let me, dang it. Definately one for this one.

Excellent point... the whole radicallization of the religions here is making them narrowly focused. Sorry but I am no Christian, but pagan. I wear a pent. If it bothers someone that I'm Wiccan then fine. But while MOST of the church sponsered help is religion blind, the money isn't. I wouldn't trade my right to pick what I believe and have it respected over getting help. I don't want someone to tell me if I believe in Jesus it will all be better. That is NOT a way to help.

Churches if they were REALLY listening to their creator would give because its right to do, not to get more members to spread the propaganda.

I will commend the Lutherans for their social service wing. They do wonderfull excellent work, do not EVER bring up religion, and have been used as safety nets for a long time by municipalities because they are about doing good not doing something good for a feel good rah rah moment.

The Catholic services also will provide food aide without asking if your like them or mentioning religion. I'd like to see some of the hard core evangelicals try this without making judgements or bringing up religion and I might find some respect for them.

Awww.... For me it was Druids first a tad bloody but i can't say blood bothers me any, then it was Manitoe, so i flipped a coin and manitoe won.

It helps i can see him.

I guess I just think that with all the hate why should the Christains help? I am not so sure i would with all the hate.
(Kinda like in SHTF, a anti gunner coming to me hungery, expecting a hunk of nice char venison off a moose, and while stuffin their face, tellin' me hunters suck)

But mostly I fear that if i asked for help it would come from Tammy Bay Faker, err uhh mmm (looks up) I mean Tamy Fay Baker, and she quite possibly might wear more war paint in one day than I can!

That idea will ruin my macho ego real bad, since i pride myself on wearing more war paint than any 2 American Women can in a year.

(ck out my profile) LOL

Old 01-26-2011, 05:44 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Oh Daniel....... Ronald Regan created the first surplus since 1933 never the less it was play money but things looked pretty good.

Gerorge H W Bush walked into a great deal, and put more money in the bank. Things were looking a lot better. But a war broke out and he didn't finish it exactly. He stopped the bombing and failed to finish off Sadam for once and for all. Mostly because the left set up the most terrible squallor.

When you go to war it's a real good idea that if you can stop the enemy, you destroy all the rest of his material, and render the war lord ruler exstinct, like 6 feet under. Other wise they have the nasty habit of coming right back like any common criminal out on Paroll.

Next Billy the Bandit took the office wearing his blue jeans and playin that sax. That looked pretty cool to me too, and i voted for that idiot myself

He waltzed in to the biggest bank roll since 1933, and since he didn't EARN any of it; he felt like a shopaholic on a spending spree, and figured out how to enhance his image, give out free money, get a democratic house, who would help spend money, and get his a** another 4 years to spend.

He almost tried out for a 3rd and surely fatal term, so he got lucky, not having SEX with that woman if you ask me.

GWB walked into almost no money left in the bank, a mess of keyboards all missing the "W" key, and in the first 9th month 911, which is Bill the bandits fault for getting mixed up about cigars which I already explained.

I kinda wish you could use google a little better. I get the idea your one of the ones who either won't respond to asnwer when called or your into denile, like a ostrich with it's head in the sand. But i won't condem you quite yet.

I used to do a little deep sea sailing myself, and so I learned to never waste nuthin. The result is, I never once threw a beer, a box of choclates, or a pretty woman over board.

A man must know his limits.
Can you cite any reference which supports your contention of republicans and massive federal surpluses?

From one perspective, States' rights, as a product, could have been exported in a more market friendly manner.

You seem to be wrong on everything, including your assessment of myself. Why did a republican administration feel the need to refund what was not in the bank, if what you claim is true?

Knowing one's own limits implies sufficient objectivity to overcome any subjectivity.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Nope. I think we will have to settle on we will agree to disagree. it happens.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Default Should government/business just build camps for those down on their luck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Like it or not, we are going to have a real problem on our hands. Our jobs have been shipped overseas and the truth is there simply are NOT enough jobs to go around. I don't see this improving.

Some people who are over 50 have killed themselves in despair. Others in their 20s wonder how they'll ever get out from under their student loan debt or be able to find a job.

For those who don't have family or friends to fall back on, isn't is really government and business's responsibility to provide for some kind of housing? I mean, we bailed out Wall Street. Now it's their turn. What's your opinion?
I don't see a problem as long as people are free to come and go, If I was suddenly homeless I would like food and a place to sleep even if I had to perform some sort of duty to earn it.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:37 PM

27 posts, read 15,589 times
Are there no prisons? Are there no work houses? Dickenson had you pegged long before you lived. Actually there were greedy dicks long before the greedy dicks of today. Before the time of Roosevelt they were called robber barons and worked the Chinese and Irish to death on rail roads and mines making them self rich and paying company script forcing the workers to buy from the company store and live in the company shacks constantly going behind. this is what the republicans want for the future of the nation. And you bubbas are buying into it like the zombies you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies