Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Money used to be backed by "something", it no longer is, therefore a dollar is only worth what someone will give you credit for. There is no contradiction, facts are facts.
And... gold is different how?

It is also only worth what someone will give you for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Right now it takes 25 almost worthless dollars to buy one silver dollar. If you break that down, a almost worthless dollar will buy 1 cents worth of silver.

Can't go a whole lot lower can it?
You cannot have possible have garbled that more if you tried.

One "silver dollar" is worth 25 dollars because it contains 25 dollars worth of silver.

Hence... one dollar always buys one dollar's worth of silver.

But silver is worth more now than back when "silver dollars" were actually used as currency.

It's the same for copper pennies.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:17 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

A dollar is always, by definition, worth 100 cents.
Dissimilar metals conduct an electrical charge, which is known as currency.

"Reference to history clears away the confusion of present-day politics, by showing beyond cavil that the "dollar" is a specific coin, containing 371.25 grains (troy) of fine silver, and nothing else."

"a. The "dollar" in the Constitution. Both Article 1, Section 9, Clause 1 of and the Seventh Amendment to the Constitution refer explicitly to the "dollar" - in the one case, permitting "a Tax or duty * * * not exceeding ten dollars for each Person" the States saw fit "to admit" prior to 1808; and, in the other, guaranteeing trial by jury "[i]n suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars.” The Constitution does not define this "dollar.” But, in the late 1700s, no explicit definition was necessary: Everyone conversant with political and economic affairs knew that the word imported the silver Spanish milled dollar."

What is a Dollar?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:25 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Since a dollar is, by definition, worth 100 cents... yes. A dollar cannot be worth two cents.

It is simple math.

100 does not = 2
Actually 100 times zero does = 2 times zero. We're not quite there yet but if we keep adding those zeros onto the national debt number it won't be long...

Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Actually 100 times zero does = 2 times zero.
And that's a completely different discussion.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
If we were still on the silver backed idea of money, 1 gallon of gasoline would be worth 12.5 cents. such a deal.......

A dollar is only worth what someone will trade for it, and as of late it ain't a whole lot. It's beginning to make the peso look pretty good.

It's beginning to make a loaf of home made bread look a lot better.

Even Monopoly Money isn't looking to bad. Oh that's right this is monopoly money huh... Not back up by so much as a bad promise.

Sea shells are looking up.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
THE OBAMA BUCK?????? Is that sort of like Food Stamps or Welfare Checks???

Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Right now it takes 25 almost worthless dollars to buy one silver dollar. If you break that down, a almost worthless dollar will buy 1 cents worth of silver.

Can't go a whole lot lower can it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is Obama going to get his face on our upcoming currency?

The Obama Buck, replacing Washington?
The dollar that is really worth 2¢

Who started this rumor?

Is it a joke that someone has grabbed and run with?
You're probably confusing real bills from the mint with the Obama buck inaugural bill which looks like real money and are still for sale.

The New Obama Buck - The 2009 Inaugural Comemorative Obama Dollar Bill

Oh, if you really think a dollar is only worth 2 cents, I'll buy all yours for a nickel. You'll make a profit and I'd be happy, too.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
WW, No I didn't know there was a note for 2009 nuthin's. Some where around I got a Bill Clinton note $3.00 dollar bill I think and one of Hillary, but I forget what amount it says, as worthless as the Obama buck.

The problem with our dollars is that they can be worth what anyone says they are. There is no trust that tomorrow they will be worth what they are today. Other than less than today.

Gold and silver for thousands of years were always worth something. Paper never was unless it was backed in metal. Paper not is not backed by metal or even a promise of any value what so ever.

I don't know if the todays paper notes will become worthless tomorrow, or 200 years from now, but I suspect it's a lot closer to tomorrow. For all I know in a week we will make small change with potatoe chips, and dollars will be slices of bread.

I am not the one who made the 2 cent comment. I am the one that made the 1 cents worth of silver comment.

Someone else, elsewhere, mentioned that he earns better than 1 dollar an hour (silver) which means 25 to 31 dollars an hour. So in silver he earns apx 8 dollars a day.

Another thing that seems interesting to me, is i have real and old silver dollars, and even a paper note 'promised by the Govt' to be backed in silver. It's just another Govt broken promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies