Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM

53 posts, read 109,606 times

Advertisements

Thank you Laura C - post #89 - a voice of reason.

I don't expect everyone across the Nation to feel the same sadness that we do here, but this could have been any other person's Congressperson and their neighbors. Tucson is a very large small town and for us, a group of such diversity, she is a voice of reason among the increasing volume of our differences. Also, I said we are a big small town. In a way, this was 9/11 here. This is a town where there are sections of crime but for the most part we all enjoy a feeling of safety and the kind of trust that was the trust of the 1950's. It is a place of decent people. It is a place where people of so many different kinds come together and stick up for each other. It is a place where people argue hard, but still will come to hear a Congresswoman even though she isn't from the Party they prefer. So, when this happened an absolute shock shot across this metropolitan area which is actually comprised of five small towns and the aftershocks just kept coming. The victims were on both sides of the aisles politically and no matter how much discord we have here, we still try.

So, it is disappointing to hear when people are so jaded that they can't see the pain of others nor their comments reflect an inconvience to them. I do admit that the repetition is not necessary on every detail and for us, it is just another instant replay reminding us of that day, but part of me says, "Get the message". We all simply must be kinder to each other.

Jared Loughner may be mentally ill, but even the mentally ill hear what is said around them. May we all just be simply kinder to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:51 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashinamu8 View Post
Thank you Laura C - post #89 - a voice of reason.

I don't expect everyone across the Nation to feel the same sadness that we do here, but this could have been any other person's Congressperson and their neighbors. Tucson is a very large small town and for us, a group of such diversity, she is a voice of reason among the increasing volume of our differences. Also, I said we are a big small town. In a way, this was 9/11 here. This is a town where there are sections of crime but for the most part we all enjoy a feeling of safety and the kind of trust that was the trust of the 1950's. It is a place of decent people. It is a place where people of so many different kinds come together and stick up for each other. It is a place where people argue hard, but still will come to hear a Congresswoman even though she isn't from the Party they prefer. So, when this happened an absolute shock shot across this metropolitan area which is actually comprised of five small towns and the aftershocks just kept coming. The victims were on both sides of the aisles politically and no matter how much discord we have here, we still try.

So, it is disappointing to hear when people are so jaded that they can't see the pain of others nor their comments reflect an inconvience to them. I do admit that the repetition is not necessary on every detail and for us, it is just another instant replay reminding us of that day, but part of me says, "Get the message". We all simply must be kinder to each other.

Jared Loughner may be mentally ill, but even the mentally ill hear what is said around them. May we all just be simply kinder to each other.
Oh gag me....

Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Oh gag me....
I'm sure that there are many who would be glad to accommodate, not that I wish that anyone would, Just sayin.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
You cared enough to start a post on how you don't care.

Steve
sad. I care about the WHY that this happened, I dont want to just hear about rehab centers from Dr. Sanjay Gupta

Why is CNN soooo afraid to get in depth on the issues? Another reason to switch to LinkTV

Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
Quote:
Oh gag me....
If only.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
but if it was an ordinary worker, say a "janitor" in a hospital, there would be no media coverage....
Maybe not national news, but it would probably be covered locally here in metro Denver (if it happened here). Just recently, a woman was run over in a parking lot at a grocery store, and her 7 month fetus died, while she was severely injured. That incident got quite a bit of coverage.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:12 PM

657 posts, read 697,692 times
How's Giffords doing?

Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
sad. I care about the WHY that this happened, I dont want to just hear about rehab centers from Dr. Sanjay Gupta

Why is CNN soooo afraid to get in depth on the issues? Another reason to switch to LinkTV
Probably b/c we don't know enough yet. And they certainly don't want to prejudice the entire country, so that the guy can't be tried.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Quote:
Am I the only one? Every time the news comes on we get the ghory details of the latest procedure they did to her. Really, I could care less. Tell us if she dies, otherwise, who cares.

To be fair, let's forget political parties. She's a real person and deserves a full recovery. Her story is a miracle and you don't see this kind of thing every day.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Every judge in the state has recused themselves. The accused will get a fair trial. Just seems like corporate media isnt asking more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies