Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
They can be bulleted and cross-referenced as evidenced above, but the question was whether or not it is appropriate to do so. There are similarities but there are also, in my opinion, very significant divergences.
In my estimation the word appropriate has to mean "is it okay to do this?" but that would also include a known course of action if it is indeed appropriate. I might be simply begging the question but I think the two movements are comparable enough to use similar tactics to achieve comparable out comes.

IMO I don't think the passage of Civil Rights legislation ended discrimination. It just made it clear as to what side of the issue the rule of law is on . That's all the gay community needs to go forward is to show what side the rule of law is on. People will still hold on to their particular bias but their actions will not be motivated by whats in their heart.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:57 PM

68 posts, read 200,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
However, given the current infantile feeblemindedness and ignorance which characterizes the majority of Americans, spoon-fed as they are by a manipulative and mendacious mainstream media, the odious and palpably false analogy of the OP continues to gain credence....

What an insult to African-Americans. In some ways, it is perhaps the ultimate trivialization of their tragic past and troubled present, as they struggle with REAL poverty and injustice.

I was just curious about what people thought and wasn't actually going to get involved with this discussion, but your post compels me to point out that not all black Americans are so insulted.

A very prominent black American who absolutely does liken the black Civil Rights Movement to the struggle for LGBT equality and is very passionate about it is Julian Bond. In case you aren't familiar, Mr. Bond was a leader in the American Civil Rights Movement and co-founder of a key organization of that movement, the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC). He was the first president of the Southern Poverty Law Center, served on both sides of the Georgia state legislature, and was the chairmen of the NAACP from 1998-2010. If you don't believe me, Google it, or better yet, check out the video "Julian Bond speaking at HRC Los Angeles Dinner" on YouTube.

Oh, and you might also want to Google the 2007 public statement from Mildred Loving - of the landmark 1967 civil rights case Loving vs. Virginia - about same-sex marriage. Seems Mrs. Loving sees a definite kinship between the struggles of blacks and gays as well.

Are these some of the "infantile," "feebleminded," and "ignorant" folks you're referring to in your post? Or how about John Lewis, a young leader of the Civil Rights Movement who spoke at the 1963 March on Washington when he was 23. Totally compares gay rights to Civil Rights. Or how about Coretta Scott King, or close MLK Jr. associates Andrew Young or Dr. James Lawson? All embrace the comparison. Are they ignorant about civil rights issues? Or WAIT: how about Rev. Bob Graetz, the only white minister who dared to march with Martin Luther King Jr. during the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and had his home bombed twice because of it. Is he being manipulated by the media, too?

Dude, you just got so caught up in your own vitriol that you trashed some very well-respected figures of the movement and the community you are allegedly defending.
Awesome job!

Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I know a Lesbian or two who have popped out a few crumb snatchers

Kinda throws the concept of being born gay out the window dont it?

They should have married the fathers of the children before they decided to be gay.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:23 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Kinda throws the concept of being born gay out the window dont it?

They should have married the fathers of the children before they decided to be gay.
The fathers were also gay.

Lesbians like to use turkey basters.

Shows how much you know.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The OP asked “are the Movements comparable?” Not the level or intensity of discrimination
1. They both involve a minority group
No they dont. Many gay people are white, homosexuality is not limited to minority groups.
Quote:
2. They both have opposition from relatively the same group
In todays world neither has real opposition from anybody. The issue seems to be gay people wanting to be considered not gay, or that gay is normal. Black people dont wish to be white, theyre proud of their heritage as they should be. Theres no real common ground between gay people & black people.
Quote:
3. Like gays many blacks hid their true identities because of the Civil Rights issues
Hmm.... so you are saying black people used to pretend to be white?

Quote:
4. They both are using the legal system to achieve its goals.
Not really. True Black people have used the legal system to get the equality they always deserved. Some Gay people on the other hand seem bound & determined to make a mockery of common sense in order to perpetuate the illogical concept that somehow same sex relationships are normal. Its harmless & I hold no ill will about it, but I cant lie just to help somebodies fantasy.
[/quote]5. They both first found a measure of institutional equality in the Military[/quote]

Untrue again. Black people had discrimination problems long before we had a military, they were slaves for crying out loud. I'm not saying gay people were never given a hard time or discriminated against, but its an entirely different thing than racism.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The fathers were also gay.

Lesbians like to use turkey basters.

Shows how much you know.

I know that none of what you are talking about creates a healthy home for a child.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Everyone should have the right to live a safe, free and happy lives. Personally, I think gay people already have most of these rights. They have the same rights as everyone else, really. They do indeed have the right to marry (just not somebody they want to marry, lol) but I see things like that as a bit of a grey area of government/religion. If we define it as a civic/secular thing then gay marriage shouldn't be a problem. Although if religious than each denomination should be able to recognise it or not.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
No they dont. Many gay people are white, homosexuality is not limited to minority groups.

In todays world neither has real opposition from anybody. The issue seems to be gay people wanting to be considered not gay, or that gay is normal. Black people dont wish to be white, theyre proud of their heritage as they should be. Theres no real common ground between gay people & black people.

Hmm.... so you are saying black people used to pretend to be white?

Not really. True Black people have used the legal system to get the equality they always deserved. Some Gay people on the other hand seem bound & determined to make a mockery of common sense in order to perpetuate the illogical concept that somehow same sex relationships are normal. Its harmless & I hold no ill will about it, but I cant lie just to help somebodies fantasy.
5. They both first found a measure of institutional equality in the Military[/quote]

[/quote]Untrue again. Black people had discrimination problems long before we had a military, they were slaves for crying out loud. I'm not saying gay people were never given a hard time or discriminated against, but its an entirely different thing than racism.[/quote]

Homosexuals are a minority group who face right wing and fundamental religious opponents and like African Americans have resorted to “Passing” to obscure their true identities and the bill to repeal don’t ask don’t tell is comparable to Executive Order 9981 which officially ended segregation in the US military.

There, I did it in one sentence

Old 01-21-2011, 09:42 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sautille42 View Post
I was just curious about what people thought and wasn't actually going to get involved with this discussion, but your post compels me to point out that not all black Americans are so insulted.

A very prominent black American who absolutely does liken the black Civil Rights Movement to the struggle for LGBT equality and is very passionate about it is Julian Bond. In case you aren't familiar, Mr. Bond was a leader in the American Civil Rights Movement and co-founder of a key organization of that movement, the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC). He was the first president of the Southern Poverty Law Center, served on both sides of the Georgia state legislature, and was the chairmen of the NAACP from 1998-2010. If you don't believe me, Google it, or better yet, check out the video "Julian Bond speaking at HRC Los Angeles Dinner" on YouTube.

Oh, and you might also want to Google the 2007 public statement from Mildred Loving - of the landmark 1967 civil rights case Loving vs. Virginia - about same-sex marriage. Seems Mrs. Loving sees a definite kinship between the struggles of blacks and gays as well.

Are these some of the "infantile," "feebleminded," and "ignorant" folks you're referring to in your post? Or how about John Lewis, a young leader of the Civil Rights Movement who spoke at the 1963 March on Washington when he was 23. Totally compares gay rights to Civil Rights. Or how about Coretta Scott King, or close MLK Jr. associates Andrew Young or Dr. James Lawson? All embrace the comparison. Are they ignorant about civil rights issues? Or WAIT: how about Rev. Bob Graetz, the only white minister who dared to march with Martin Luther King Jr. during the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and had his home bombed twice because of it. Is he being manipulated by the media, too?

Dude, you just got so caught up in your own vitriol that you trashed some very well-respected figures of the movement and the community you are allegedly defending.
Awesome job!
He didn't get caught up in anything. You asked a question and he answered it....with the best post in the thread....and clearly I'm not the only one who thinks so. And we understand exactly who he is talking about.

You can toss any handful of opinion holders out there that you like and it does absolutely nothing to detract from the validity of his point.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:12 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good morning, and thanks for the information. If this is the case, what is the reason these basic civil rights haven't been extended to gays, polygamists, etc in all this time? I'm more than sure someone has tried to litigate this angle by now. Did they define marriage as one man/ one woman only in these rulings? This is a sincere question, I'm really curious.
Perhaps because religious bigots have been calling the shots and getting their bronze age beliefs foisted into our laws and government for far too long in this country..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies