Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:54 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,304,946 times

Advertisements

So to expand.... I don't have a problem on any type of law that is for SEVERE consequences for sexual molestation of children.

My problem comes with our legal system's inability to differentiate. I don't see how an 18 year old High School Senior having sexual relations with a 16 year old High School Sophomore or Junior receives the same punishment and label and a 30 year old deviant who molests a 10 year old. With some of our laws the way they are these two incidents are treated the same which I think is almost as deplorable...... To be labelled a "sex offender" for having sex with your High School Girlfriend??? I mean c'mon!!!!

That said I am for striking the "cruel and unusual punishment" clause completely away in the case of true child molestation. I don't care if it's an "illness". To me the second an "illness" puts the lives and well-being of others at great risk we need to start quarantining these people PERIOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 09:25 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,457,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
ahhhh, yes I did and apologize...sorry...
but not sorry for the words I wrote, meaning, maybe someone will read and it will make a difference???? I dunno

It just seems so sad to me, that out of all these forums, the threads that are most replied to are those that to me, don't see as important as our laws...b/c if laws are set into place and reinforced, then, this place would be safer.

Thanks so much for responding and setting me straight....

Creme
No problem. I feel just as strongly as you do about these criminals.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,457,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
So to expand.... I don't have a problem on any type of law that is for SEVERE consequences for sexual molestation of children.

My problem comes with our legal system's inability to differentiate. I don't see how an 18 year old High School Senior having sexual relations with a 16 year old High School Sophomore or Junior receives the same punishment and label and a 30 year old deviant who molests a 10 year old. With some of our laws the way they are these two incidents are treated the same which I think is almost as deplorable...... To be labelled a "sex offender" for having sex with your High School Girlfriend??? I mean c'mon!!!!

That said I am for striking the "cruel and unusual punishment" clause completely away in the case of true child molestation. I don't care if it's an "illness". To me the second an "illness" puts the lives and well-being of others at great risk we need to start quarantining these people PERIOD.
You bring up a good point and I agree. The things to look at are age difference. I think there a case in GA where a young man was thrown in jail for having consensual sex with a girl 2-3 years younger than him. I'm sorry but he shouldn't spending years in jail for that. JMO

Old 07-18-2007, 09:43 AM

28,958 posts, read 30,311,726 times
Quote:

I agree with you, totally, but when your on the receiving end, like the parents, perhaps you might feel differently.

The only thing I can say, is wait until you have a daughter and if the same thing happened to her, what would you do. I can't tell you how different your priorities are when you have children. And maybe you do?

But certainly your post is logical and fair.

thank you, for joining in...I greatly appreciate those who help to keep this thread going....
Hugs
Creme

Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 AM

435 posts, read 1,521,433 times
/\ Absurd sexual fantasies are a mental illness. Emotionally, I simpathize for people wanting blood and gore. But ultamietly, nobody in their right mind chooses to do such a thing, they're born sick and will die sick. As a result, the balance between saftey and humanity is ultamietly institutialization/and or euthanisa.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:49 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,606 times
Default Here is where things get confusing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
You bring up a good point and I agree. The things to look at are age difference. I think there a case in GA where a young man was thrown in jail for having consensual sex with a girl 2-3 years younger than him. I'm sorry but he shouldn't spending years in jail for that. JMO
The case in Georgia has received some attention and it should. The alleged perpetrator has no "History" of this type of crime and will be unlikely to repeat. Eighteen and sixteen ?( Both parties were very aware as to what was taking place) Sexual offender? And the act was consensual? The alleged "Victim" admits to the event being consensual. Thirty years is grossly unfair. We as other posters have noted are not talking about an eighteen year old and a ten year old here. Hopefully there will be a reduction in sentence if it hasn't happened already.

We can't lump everyone into one category and label each with the same "Scarlet Letter." As painfully slow as it is a case by case analysis should be conducted. Every crime is not the same in this case. What I have said prior regarding Child Molesters, Pedophiles and Rapists stands. Exterminate the Beasts !!!! I don't say this in hatred but conviction.
Spiritwalker

Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
The case in Georgia has received some attention and it should. The alleged perpetrator has no "History" of this type of crime and will be unlikely to repeat. Eighteen and sixteen ?( Both parties were very aware as to what was taking place) Sexual offender? And the act was consensual? The alleged "Victim" admits to the event being consensual. Thirty years is grossly unfair. We as other posters have noted are not talking about an eighteen year old and a ten year old here. Hopefully there will be a reduction in sentence if it hasn't happened already.

We can't lump everyone into one category and label each with the same "Scarlet Letter." As painfully slow as it is a case by case analysis should be conducted. Every crime is not the same in this case. What I have said prior regarding Child Molesters, Pedophiles and Rapists stands. Exterminate the Beasts !!!! I don't say this in hatred but conviction.
Spiritwalker
Very Good point well noted, and I agree...

Old 07-18-2007, 12:42 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,304,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree with you, totally, but when your on the receiving end, like the parents, perhaps you might feel differently.

The only thing I can say, is wait until you have a daughter and if the same thing happened to her, what would you do. I can't tell you how different your priorities are when you have children. And maybe you do?

But certainly your post is logical and fair.

thank you, for joining in...I greatly appreciate those who help to keep this thread going....
Hugs
Creme
I have a daughter, though she's far from being 16 yet. And yes, I'd be upset if I found out she was having sex at that age but I wouldn't ask for the boy to be thrown in prison if it was a consensual act. If anything I'd consider my daughter making that decision at that age to be MY failure, not the boy's.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I have a daughter, though she's far from being 16 yet. And yes, I'd be upset if I found out she was having sex at that age but I wouldn't ask for the boy to be thrown in prison if it was a consensual act. If anything I'd consider my daughter making that decision at that age to be MY failure, not the boy's.

well then, you are more responsible and mature then the said parents....but, everyone reacts differently when it comes to their own....yanno? I feel sorry for that boy....I really do.

But getting back to this thread...I'm so thankful to have all your responses, it says you care, regardless and you aren't afraid to get involved. Never did I expect to have so many reply...

Many thanks

Old 07-18-2007, 01:52 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
i remember being 18 in high school,, and had friends that were dating sophomore girls,,football players and cheerleaders, and some of the sophomore girls,,,look older than senior girls,,no one thought about "molestation"
i believe thats a whole separate category than the sick bastard pedophiles.

too many are released and repeat,,,,if i were a judge id castrate the bastards, or send them away for good,,

bill oreilly does a good job of exposing the liberal spineless judges,,,,that give a slap on the wrists, to repeat offenders..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies