Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have have medical insurance?
Yes - through my employer 86 58.90%
Yes - individual policy 26 17.81%
Yes - COBRA 2 1.37%
Yes - Portability 1 0.68%
Yes - Medicaid 6 4.11%
No- Uninsurable or have been declined 3 2.05%
No - Cannot afford it 19 13.01%
No- Don't want it or someone else can pay for my problems 3 2.05%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes, I understand Obamacare will in a few years eliminate individual self-coverage. I will lose my catostrophic insurance when that happens as will millions of others.
Is this true? I understood the opposite, that if one didn't purchase individual self-coverage that they would be fined....in any case, the Bill will be chopped, diced, reworded and reworked so much so that it will become unrecognizable. I am at least glad the Bill got a very strong discussion going and inspired action ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If I drink and smoke,and then don't have enough money left to buy insurance,is that okay?
Better than okay. Remember, unhealthy people are cheaper to provide health care for over their lifetime than healthy ones.

Intuitive is not always the same as true.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
If you really were poor & ill & couldn't work do you think you should have a death sentence handed to you because you could no longer pay & needed a transplant, for instance?
Does being poor and out of work(I meet both criteria) mean someone else should pay for my ingrown toenail?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Better than okay. Remember, unhealthy people are cheaper to provide health care for over their lifetime than healthy ones.

Intuitive is not always the same as true.
Darn...I don't do either.

I am poor and out of work though,will someone else pay for my sniffles?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,500 times
Quote:
Does being poor and out of work(I meet both criteria) mean someone else should pay for my ingrown toenail?
I won't even discuss this further with one who is trying their best to be funny about a serious discussion & won't even answer simple questions. Troll much?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I won't even discuss this further with one who is trying their best to be funny about a serious discussion & won't even answer simple questions.
Is Obamacare ONLY for life threatening conditions or would it cover an ingrown toenail?

The way people ALWAYS go for the melodrama here is a little...dull.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Is Obamacare ONLY for life threatening conditions or would it cover an ingrown toenail?

The way people ALWAYS go for the melodrama here is a little...dull.
uhh it isn't dull enough to prevent you from coming back now is it?
I was speaking of health care at the state level & what has happened in AZ.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:16 PM

If you could leave aside the melodrama for a while,do you think that there should be restrictions in place on those receiving subsidised health care?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:25 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
Let's assume I meant Liberty Rights in my post. I see a clear difference in your explanation of claim and liberty rights. Well stated. That being said, it appears that claim rights in most cases require something in return
That is a very good point. I seem to have a memory that some philospher was of the opinion that amjority agreed-upon claim rights are the basis of civilization. A duty for every right.

Quote:
I have a right to higher education - if I pay for it
I have a right to property - if I pay for it
The right to someones labor - if I pay for it
The right to a lawyer - (good example) a claim right put in place to protect my Liberty rights
This could also be seen as your right to these things being accompanied by a duty to pay for them. Or work to maintain them, with money being an exchange medium for work.

However, some people feel that some things are sufficiently important that claim rights for them should exist. Basic education, defense of your property rights by police, etc. Some people feel that health care falls into this category. There is a claim right to emergency care, although you may be billed afterwards.

Quote:
In my opinion, insurance of any kind, is a tool for mitigation of risk. I buy homeowners insurance beacuse I don't want to own a smoking pile of rubble and still have a mortgage if my house burns down. Same scenario with auto insurance. I do not buy warranties on products ( insurance against failure) because I find it more cost effective to self insure against that risk.
Some nations use an insurance model for health care. Switzerland, Germany, and the Netherlands for example. Others find public provision more economical. Canada for example. The most common is a mixture, with various levels of care covered by a public provision and supplemented by private provision and insurance.

Quote:
I have a clain right to health insurance - if I pay for it. I don't have a claim right to health insurance if you have to pay for it.
Tax-funded health insurance links the idea of a right to health insurance to a duty to pay for it through taxes.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
If you could leave aside the melodrama for a while,do you think that there should be restrictions in place on those receiving subsidised health care?
If the state is paying for your health care because you cannot afford it ,then I think people should be responsible for not running to the DRS every time they get the sniffles but, I disagree with cutting part of a benefit that will absolutely guarantee a death sentence such as telling a heart & liver transplant patient "sorry we are cutting your benefits because WE have decided we can't afford it" & won't look at the other options that have been presented to us. It becomes very scary to me that if you need the help in this country that a FEW get decide if one lives or has to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies