Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 PM

932 posts, read 1,946,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
432K inside city limits is pretty weak for any major city.

Hell, Fort Worth is twice the size of Atlanta these days & it used to be as small as Atlanta was just 15-20 years ago.
So you're calling Miami weak, too?

Fort Worth's population growth is a sign that Dallas's metro is growing, which isn't a secret to anyone.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
ForT Worth!

There's only one 'H' in Fort Worth....
This isn't a spelling test.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
People moved to Atlanta's suburbs, not so much the city proper itself.

Atlanta is like Dallas & San Francisco, when you take away their massive burbs their value to the nation, as cities, decreases exponentially.
this is a completely asinine statement. San Francisco's value as a city is in its suburbs? You're making yourself look really silly.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,961,259 times
I'd rather live in a Conservative city. Charlotte is good enough for me.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
What classifies as a Conservative or Liberal city?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 PM

37,890 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I'd rather live in a Conservative city. Charlotte is good enough for me.
I wouldn't call Charlotte conservative; it's moderate to slightly left of center. The voting patterns pretty much demonstrate that.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Your description is what happend to Atlanta almost exactly.

Atlanta is percieved as a cool city and it had a booming economy years ago. People flocked to the city, but kept flocking when the economy there went in the toilet. People never stopped moving to the city.

Thats a huge reason why Atlanta's economy and unemployment rate are not as good. People just kept moving to Atlanta.
One thing to also remember is that Atlanta and Charlotte were "cool" and "hip" in the late '90s and early 2000s. That was before sunbelt and auto-centrism became dirty words. The sustainable (walkable) growth and new urbanism craze is a relatively new fad associated with Millennials. It really seemed to take off in the mid-to-late '00s and accelerated after the recession hit.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
So you're calling Miami weak, too?

Fort Worth's population growth is a sign that Dallas's metro is growing, which isn't a secret to anyone.
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This isn't a spelling test.
It's a pet peeve. Seriously, how do you misspell Fort Worth? And why is it that common? I just don't get it.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 AM

49 posts, read 64,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
*sigh*

It's a pet peeve. Seriously, how do you misspell Fort Worth? And why is it that common? I just don't get it.
you aint kidding brother. and I must state again that fort worth is NOT dallas. the people that are moving to fort worth are mostly working in fort worth and not driving to dallas.
to those outside of this area, it is truly considered a slap in the face to bundle us together. if you didn't know that before, you do now. if you did know that before, you need to start being a bit more respectful.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think that if you can't have fun in either a "liberal" or a "conservative" city regardless of your political or social beliefs, then you're too wrapped up in your own head. I've met MANY ultra conservative tourists (some from my own family) in Boston who had a blast while visiting. Would they move here? Not in 100 million years. However, they had a ton of fun while they visited.

On the same token, I've enjoyed my trips to "conservative" cities like Dallas, Kansas City, Nashville, etc. (I'm pretty liberal). I met a lot of people who were very different from me and did things I wouldn't ever get to do at home. Even little things like sitting in a gas station near downtown Dallas on the tailgate of a truck eating gas station tacos (not the freezer type... but authentic tacos from a real tacos stand in the station) and drinking a tallboy watching alpacas (or something like that) walk around a field behind me. You don't have to overhaul your own beliefs in order to enjoy visiting a different type of city. But it is good to humanize and put into perspective the people that see things differently or have different beliefs than you. Part of the reason these little debates we have get so petty is that too many people are too closed off to even attempt to see how someone could see things differently. It's much easier to call them "idiots" and move on.

Worse than being very liberal or very conservative is being close minded. If you can't have fun in a major city that leans in the opposite direction of your political stance, then the problem is you. Not the city.
Best post I've read all thread. I wish everyone had your attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies