Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:34 AM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I'll ingnore the obvious sarcasm and take these statements in bold from the top.

1. Why are you making this personal? DId I say I talked to the school counselors? (Actually, I have, but that's neither here nor there.)

2. Most FRIENDS are not competent to judge a doctor's medical ability. Some of the worst doctors around have some of the most loyal followings.

3. Ah, the internet! I work in a pediatrician's office. I had a mom call me the other day, certain her daughter had a spider bite on her bottom. She wanted to just "ride it out" b/c she had done some research on the internet. From her description of the thing, I thought she should come in and have it be seen. It was not a bug bite; it was a huge abcess, and it needed antibiotics. The internet, which I use myself, is only good a)if you make the proper diagnosis in the first place, and b) for general information. You cannot get information specific to your situation on the internet.

4. I'm really not sure what you are talking about here.

5. Good for your son, but you have a long way to go.
1. You asked me a direct question...I answered it...that's sorry if you don't like my attitude....sorry about being straight forward....

2. My friends are competent, and I trust their judgment...However, I have been to war with most of my friends and that may be where you don't understand my "trust", even then If I don't like the Dr. I will not bring my son back..

3. I really don't care what other people have done...I'm not other people...I don't go into the Dr's office office telling them what they should do....I do my research and then listen to what the Dr. says...then if my son is given medicine...I will absolutely go look up the medicine to ensure that drug that Dr. has given my son does what it is supposed to do. Because I'm sure that you know, Dr.s have given out the wrong drugs before....

4. what gets into the system faster, the pink antibiotics that you take for 10 days....or a shot in the butt....think about it...

5. Thank you, my son does have a long way to go....but I can guarantee you one thing....I will be doing the exact same thing until the day he graduates....giving him his room when he becomes a teen of course....but then I look ahead and plan...even years.....

Sorry I'm not your everyday parent that comes to your office...I actually take pride in what I do....for myself and my family....

Just like now, I'm 40 years old...retired at the age of 38....have a great job...and I'm not a person that follows....I'm a person that is being followed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:50 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It's not the governments job to legislate those things
You think so? Take a look at the way that the education system is set up in this country. Or should I say selective illiteracy system. The Carnage foundation and the Rockefeller foundation have done a lot to shape the public education system in the US. Someone that made a lot of money invested in the education system in America. Now did they go from being good at making money to being bad at setting up an education system? Or did they get the system that they wanted? Over consumption is good for corporate profits. Is this by design? So your saying that it is not the governments job to legislate those things is very interesting in light of what is going on in the education system. People are doing what they were taught in school to do and that is to over-consume.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No, it shouldn't. Government has no business telling parents how to raise their kids, fat or not
The are you in favor of abolishing the mandatory education system in the US? Think of all those tax payers dollars that could be save in not producing illiterate workers. Who has a bigger stake in the outcome of raising your child you? or the teachers that you send you kids to be educated by?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
1. You asked me a direct question...I answered it...that's sorry if you don't like my attitude....sorry about being straight forward....

Just like now, I'm 40 years old...retired at the age of 38....have a great job...and I'm not a person that follows....I'm a person that is being followed....
Do the people that are following you have white coats?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Yes, of course that is true. They can put them on a high cocaine diet and pimp them out if they want to...is that what you are saying?
Take a good hard look at what the school system is doing to your kids or those in the public school system. Abolishing that system would be a good start at reducing the budget deficit.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
We have to call in Medivac nowadays if a kid gets a scraped knee. Beck's book Arguing with Idiots has a picture of a bicycle rider symbol comparing the 1970s with today. The 1970s icon just had the rider and the bike. The Today icon had helmet, homing beacon, high visibility jacket, strobe lights, and all matter of other things

Just begs the question, is today a more dangerous world than yesteryear? Or have just our perceptions changed, if crime is a lot lower than past decades? Because no poor kid can go outside nowadays without having their homing device fully functional and full-body armor to protect their fragile little bodies from tiny cuts and scrapes.
We can take a good thing and go way overboard. While I think we should have babies in car seats, and kids buckled up, I think as adults we should have the freedom of choice when it comes to seat belts.

I had a bad crash on my bike when I was 10. I severly chipped both of my two front teeth, and dang it, I had beautifully straight teeth. It was a messed up day, but I was at the front of the pack on my bike. I've had to wear crowns the rest of my life, but I will say my childhood was spent exploring, jumping, climbing, and generally be a kid. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

We have to find some balance between safety and a freedom.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Take a good hard look at what the school system is doing to your kids or those in the public school system. Abolishing that system would be a good start at reducing the budget deficit.
You are advocating getting rid of public schools...am i reading you correctly?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
You do realize the largest source of funding for schools, by far, is state and local taxes? The feds contribute about 10% to school budgets, and that is including the school lunch program.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
"We don't have health care in this country, we have sick care."

The biggest problem with US health is that nutrition education is on the bottom of the totem pole. Most health professionals are trained to cure diseases, not prevent them. If there's no cure then they're trained to be the official drug dealer of the FDA and give whatever ails you a temporary pill fix at a cost of $500.

The USDA is part of the problem. Their food pyramid is bogus (http://www.preservion.com/new_food_pyramid.htm - broken link), it's designed to keep the food lobbyists happy more than it is teach nutrition to millions of school children. They are also responsible for food labeling, which is why labels keep getting more confusing for consumers. Notice how there's always a loophole left wide open for Big Food to jump right through and help create new problems for consumers that will then need more regulation, etc.

The government's job is to create more obesity and more diseases to fuel Big Pharma and help pay for ObamaCare.
IMO "They are also responsible for food labeling", is one of the problems.

The dept of Agriculture should be about agriculture, nothing else. What does growing products have to do with labeling? Why is the same agency involved in food stamps?

What is the Food and Drug Agency doing?

Another example where the fed has stretched it's tentacles into our every day lives.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,952,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I'm not telling you anything. I haven't seen your son. How do I know if you take good care of him or not? Most, not all, but most of you meatballs are totally missing the point. The point of my arguement is that people go running to the government for health coverage and regulation for problems that they inflict. Yes you do have the right to live your life the way you want. I just don't think I should have to help pay for it when you cause yourself health issues. Just how far back in the sticks do you live chucksnee? Because your backwoods, low-life mentality really comes through in your post. I fail? Really? I hit the gym 4-6 times a week and watch what I eat. Now if you do the same then good for you. If, however, you're not on my level, well, that's not my problem. That's a YOU problem. If you want to post a picture of yourself with nothing but a pair of shorts on then I'll do the same.
PLEASE. Nobody wants to see a picture of your self-righteous ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies