Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:08 PM

256 posts, read 216,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Californians don't have a problem with the US flag being desecrated in the name of 'art' or 'culture celebrations', but they DO have a problem with a Nazi flag being displayed ...

... the double standard doesn't surprise anyone on this forum, now does it?
And some posters don't have a problem with bashing an entire segment of the population for what a small subset of that population does. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
In a lot of European countries the public display of Nazi symbols or Nazi works is punishable by law and I think that is the right way to deal with crap like this.
Unfortunately if he can't have his swastika on his window he'll find something else. He has been harrassing the neighbors for some time now, and they are moving because of it. Now he wants to make it impossible for them to sell or rent. This is the kind of guy that homeowners associations were born from.

There was a businessman in the Little Saigon part of Westminster California who decided to put up a North Vietnamese flag in his window. He wasn't losing business because apparently it was mostly dropshipped, but his flag caused several riots and an attempt to burn down his business. Symbols do keep meaning (and while the swastika had been used before in other ways the way you think of it on a Nazi flag is as a Nazi symbol) and can be used for hurt. I can see why in Germany it is banned. But I can also see why banning a symbol is limiting what to the US is a right. We can say what we want. It is expected we should know when not to, but the cost of denying the right is to go the other direction. Sometimes its better to let haters show themselves.

As for this malcontent neighbor, taking away his flag will just drive him to find a new way. I wish the neighbors luck.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Your house, your flag. If i don't like it, i can always move.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:16 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Does it strike anyone else as hypocritical that there are posters suggesting he shouldn't have the right to fly a flag to prevent her from selling her home, but there are many buyers out there who probably appreciate the warning that the neighbor is possibly a racist?

I'll bet the seller didn't disclose THAT information! Of course not, the sellers (and her supporters here) don't think the buyers have the right to that information and are trying to fool potential homebuyers. Shame on that woman!
Actually, there's no indication that the neighbor (the one displaying the nazi flag) is a nazi or a racist of any kind. Just that he's intent on causing this woman harm for some reason. According to that article, she put the house on the market becasue he has been harrassing her, and the flag appeared AFTER she put the house on the market.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Troll alert.
Nazis hated the commies
Nazis were anti-intellectual
Nazis hated gays
Nazis promoted nationalism = patriotism
Nazis labeled as traitors anyone who opposed war
You want to say you don't see America in any of those?

Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Nazis hated the commies
Nazis hated gays
Nazism was a form of fascism, which republicans and most of the democrats have turned this country into.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Nazis hated the commies
Nazis hated gays
Regretfully, I do... and as a Jewish American, that makes me incredibly sad.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Californians don't have a problem with the US flag being desecrated in the name of 'art' or 'culture celebrations', but they DO have a problem with a Nazi flag being displayed ...

... the double standard doesn't surprise anyone on this forum, now does it?
No, because that doesn't really qualify as a double standard... to be perfectly honest, I don't even know what you're referring to, since it's not something I've seen here in CA. But the US flag has been used in artwork & cultural celebrations forever, and not just within this state.

P.S. I am a Californian, and said earlier in the thread I do support their right to fly it - seems only a few non-Californians here have spoken against it, in fact. As for the folks in the article, it's obviously more of a neighborly feud than an issue of free speech.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:07 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Freedom of speech doesn't mean that the speech won't have adverse consequences
Yes. This is what many people forget. They seem to think that freedom of speech mean nobody can react to anything. Idiots.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes. This is what many people forget. They seem to think that freedom of speech mean nobody can react to anything. Idiots.
I know, huh? I've walked past a few "Phelps-type protests" in my time, and I said my share of negative things to them... but not ONCE did I tell them to leave, or complain to the government about their right to protest. However, if they can exercise their freedom of speech, I can exercise mine right back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies