Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post

To vote against a GOVERNMENT TAKE OVER of PRIVATE CITIZEN'S health care makes sense to me. To then take the Congressional Health Care that comes with being elected to that office also makes perfect sense to me.

What government take over? What are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Republicans Explain Why They Won’t Give Up Government-Subsidized Health Care « Alan Colmes' Liberaland

A bunch of Republican congressmen on tape explaining why they are not renouncing their own government-sponsored health care.

In sum, only eight GOP congressman, or three percent of all House Republicans, have opted out of the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan. One Republican loudly complained about having his own government-sponsored health insurance delayed approximately four weeks. But most GOPers have quietly continued to accept government-sponsored health care while loudly decrying the government’s role in helping provide health care to a segment of the American public.

Their reasons for continuing to take government-subsidized health insurance ran the gamut — from Rep. Aaron Schock (R-IL), whose justification was that he was “actually lowering” premiums for older members of Congress, to Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), who admitted that accepting government-sponsored health care “could be” hypocritical, but shrugged it off nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpK1f...layer_embedded
this is a ridiculous question, if the left believe this b.s. they are idiots!! The government is an employer just like any other employer that pay for part of your ins. premiums!!! Obama care is totally different. every single American does not work for the government,your comparing apples with lemmons!! not very bright!!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:01 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,048,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
this is a ridiculous question, if the left believe this b.s. they are idiots!! The government is an employer just like any other employer that pay for part of your ins. premiums!!! Obama care is totally different. every single American does not work for the government,your comparing apples with lemmons!! not very bright!!
If Federal employees get taxpayer funded Health Care... The taxpayers themselves get nothing out of it and have to pay for Health Insurance out of pocket?...

Old 01-23-2011, 08:14 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Your so-called "Obamacare" is actually cheaper...
Show your Proof.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
The OP isn't making a lot of sense. Private sector taxpayers (as opposed to tax-eaters) are being forced to foot the cost of Congress's Cadillac health plan. The OP is suggesting that Republicans currently on the public payroll should force taxpayers to take on the additional cost of extending Congress's Cadillac health plan to other tax eaters. That would be like me telling the OP to raise some complete stranger's children like they were his own or risk being called a hypocrite. The OP's logic is hopelessly orthogonal.

BTW, it's kind of amusing how Marxists call themselves "wonks". Wonkery does sound a lot better than Marxism, I suppose.
Just for the heck of it, explain to me what you consider "Cadillac" in the congresses health care plan?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
I believe Civilian Federal employees have many ins plan options. They get access to a few where they pay about 1/3 of the premium, the Govt(tax payers) pay the rest. The employees have many choices, but the amount of taxpayer money used, is limited. Of course, as most of you, they can choose more extensive coverage.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I believe Civilian Federal employees have many ins plan options. They get access to a few where they pay about 1/3 of the premium, the Govt(tax payers) pay the rest. The employees have many choices, but the amount of taxpayer money used, is limited. Of course, as most of you, they can choose more extensive coverage.
And it is no different than company health care plans.

Most people aren't aware companies/gov't highest "cost" is labor.
X amount of dollars are in the pot for that labor. Those dollars are divided. So much for salary, so miuch for benfits. Higher salary, lower benefits. Higher benefits, less salary.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:
If Federal employees get taxpayer funded Health Care... The taxpayers themselves get nothing out of it and have to pay for Health Insurance out of pocket?...
The federal government employs people to do a job what ever it may be, mailcarrier brings your mail,that is a service to you, the tax payer!! an FBI.EGENT. keeps us safer. federal employees are not like people on welfare who sit around waiting for their check at home they actually do work for a living do you want to work for the government for free? they have to get pay and part of their pay is health ins.my company pay for some of my ins. premiums

Old 01-24-2011, 04:51 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,710 times
Fun fact: If you add up the costs of Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, Veterans health, Indian health etc, etc. -everything the US government spends on health care- it is very nearly the same amount per head (or in GDP %) as other first world nations spend on high-class health care for all citizens.

Roll them all together, and it is very close to what it'd cost to simply expand Medicare to cover everyone.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Personally, having Congresspeople of either party give up their current health insurance does nothing for me. I don't want them NOT to have access to it; I'd like to have the option as a private citizen to buy into the same quality plan they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies