Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,045,487 times

Advertisements

Wonk Room » Two More Republicans Who Ran Against Health Reform Opt-Out Of Federal Health Benefits

Responding to Rep.-elect Andy Harris’ (R-MD) hypocritical demand for government-sponsored benefits, Rep. Joe Crowley (D-NY) began circulating a letter among his Democratic colleagues calling on Harris and other members of Congress who want to repeal the new health care law to forego their own government health care plans. Two incoming Republican freshmen — Rep.-elect Mike Kelly (PA) and Rep.-elect Bobby Schilling (IL) — agreed to the deal immediately and now two others, Reps. Tim Walberg (MI) and Bill Johnson (OH) have also pledged to opt out of the federal employees’ health program:

- TIM WALBERG (R-MI): “Walberg didn’t take the federal plan during his first term in Congress, either. Walberg receives free health-care stemming from his 16-years in the state legislature.”

- BILL JOHNSON (R-OH): “This is one substantial way I can show that my commitment to the people of eastern and southern Ohio is to help them, not to gain exclusive benefits for myself,” he said, in a news release issued by his office. Johnson is not be going to be without health insurance coverage, however. He has health insurance available to him as a retired U.S. Air Force officer.
To be fair, these latter additions are still receiving health benefits from the government. Walberg is drawing on state benefits, while Johnson will be dependent on the military system, which is funded with federal taxes. Kelly and Schilling, meanwhile, will receive employer-sponsored coverage through their businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:21 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
If the plan that Congress has is good enough for them...it's good enough for EVERYONE!

Also, using left wing shill sites for proof doesn't advance your argument very far.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
No HC access is only applicable to the common folk.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:26 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,454 times
A BETTER question is:

How many Democrats that voted FOR ObamaCare will waive their Cadillac Congressional Heath Care plan?

Or is it good enough for thee but not for me?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 AM

Republicans Explain Why They Won’t Give Up Government-Subsidized Health Care « Alan Colmes' Liberaland

A bunch of Republican congressmen on tape explaining why they are not renouncing their own government-sponsored health care.

In sum, only eight GOP congressman, or three percent of all House Republicans, have opted out of the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan. One Republican loudly complained about having his own government-sponsored health insurance delayed approximately four weeks. But most GOPers have quietly continued to accept government-sponsored health care while loudly decrying the government’s role in helping provide health care to a segment of the American public.

Their reasons for continuing to take government-subsidized health insurance ran the gamut — from Rep. Aaron Schock (R-IL), whose justification was that he was “actually lowering” premiums for older members of Congress, to Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), who admitted that accepting government-sponsored health care “could be” hypocritical, but shrugged it off nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpK1f...layer_embedded

Old 01-22-2011, 09:40 AM

I fail to see the supposed hypocrisy here???

You take a new job that comes with benefits including health care. Do you turn them down?

To vote against a GOVERNMENT TAKE OVER of PRIVATE CITIZEN'S health care makes sense to me. To then take the Congressional Health Care that comes with being elected to that office also makes perfect sense to me.

The only GOTCHA here are DEMOCRATS that voted for ObamaCare for we peons while refusing to give up THEIR cadillac Congressional Health Care.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post

You take a new job that comes with benefits including health care. Do you turn them down?

To vote against a GOVERNMENT TAKE OVER of PRIVATE CITIZEN'S health care makes sense to me. To then take the Congressional Health Care that comes with being elected to that office also makes perfect sense to me.

The only GOTCHA here are DEMOCRATS that voted for ObamaCare for we peons while refusing to give up THEIR cadillac Congressional Health Care.
How so?... Fight against something that you're getting on the taxpayer's dime?... So that they can't have it?...

Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post

They can now, just like you will be able to, purchase more extensive plans. The hypocrisy is those in Congress that do not want you to have that option.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
How so?... Fight against something that you're getting on the taxpayer's dime?... So that they can't have it?...

Congressmen and women are employed by the people and their employers give them HC as a perk.

It's no different than working for the IRS and getting HC coverage as part of your job.

It's a completely different topic from forcing a government mandate on all private citizens to have HC coverage.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Really how many democratic groups refused all forms of paying for the bill they passed. The answer is all of them. How mnay voted to include themselves in the general pool 'all of them when writing this nill.It wasn't the republicans who proposed any changes ;so why would they propose federal employeee benefits changes. The democrats coulkd have proposed same treatment for themsleves i the heatcare bill;but they did has well as their apecail interest. Loo at the groups getting exemption form Obama administrtion besides the unions already in the law plus the other exceptions for states to get their senators vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies