Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The government isn't a giant sitting on your local hill.
Quote:
We have a representative democracy. The democracy is the Giant.
I think you have no clue of what's you're saying. Just try to lay off the Kool-Aid is all I can say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This is why god created Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners.
With the rare exception, I have seen only PA's and Nurse Practitioners for all my routine medical care for 13 years or more. They work under the aegis of MD's and have given me perfectly acceptable and in some cases admirably compassionate care, with which I've been totally satisfied. In fact, given the choice of seeing a PA or ARNP, as opposed to an MD, I'll skip the MD.

And I do have a background of working in support positions in the medical world for more than a couple of decades, so I know a little more than the average lay person about medicine.

IMO, a very viable suggestion.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
I think you have no clue of what's you're saying. Just try to lay off the Kool-Aid is all I can say
No, it's you who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. You're the one who said that you see the government as the giant on the hill, so i played along with your assertion. If it's the giant, then vote to change it. I'm assuming that you voted, so you're a part of it just like everyone else.

What you're attempting to do is to make yourself sound as if you're above the system. You're not. You're drinking the kool-aid just like everyone else. Do you go to a non-government certified doctor? NO. You're just talking a bunch of nonsense that even YOU don't believe.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:44 PM

884 posts, read 716,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Who, then, sets and enforces standards for activities where there is little room for mistakes? The FAA issues airworthiness certificates and a government-licensed aircraft maintenance engineer ensures that aircraft are maintained in a manner to keep them safe - and grounds those that aren't.
As of right now CMS is the governing body that enforces the Federal laws which are written/passed in Washington. If any facility wants to recieve Federal funds like Medicare then they must follow the laws. Each state also have their own set of laws which go along with the Federal ones. In California we have for example Title 22 for Hosps, SNFs, ASCS and so forth.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
With the rare exception, I have seen only PA's and Nurse Practitioners for all my routine medical care for 13 years or more. They work under the aegis of MD's and have given me perfectly acceptable and in some cases admirably compassionate care, with which I've been totally satisfied. In fact, given the choice of seeing a PA or ARNP, as opposed to an MD, I'll skip the MD.

And I do have a background of working in support positions in the medical world for more than a couple of decades, so I know a little more than the average lay person about medicine.

All of these professionals are licensed as well.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Would it really matter? Current law allows if you lose your license for malpractice in one state, you just go to another state. How meaningless is that?

Not true. Your malpractice history follows you around. Unlike in the past, it is very difficult for a physician who has had problems in one state to get a medical license in another state. Florida and New Jersey are havens for bad physicians, however, and many who have had problems are still able to flee there.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post

You seem to have missed the point of being a physician. The ancillary providers work under the auspices of a physician, such that they can consult a physician if there are any problems. Seeing healthy patients is easy, as there is little, if anything, that needs to be done. You really need a physician, as opposed to an ancillary provider, when you have a real problem. It is analagous to not needing a fireman until your house catches on fire. Until that time, a neighborhood association watch is just fine.

In my practice, there is no such thing as a "well baby check. We don't see patients for routine med checks- the PA does that. When there are any problems, I see those patients and decide a course of action, not a PA.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:25 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,791 times
It's interesting how people become so angry and just attack any new idea they encounter. Instead of trying to learn more about those ideas, they just immediately go into attack mode. Then, those same people want to demand universal health care, despite not recognizing the flaws in the system that make universal health care unaffordable in the current system. If we had licensing reforms in the medical field then universal healthcare might indeed be affordable.

I will never understand why people are okay with the fact that people are okay with a doctor's visit to treat the common cold costing upwards of $100. When someone shows up with obvious cold symptoms, it would make sense to just sell them the cold medicine directly from the pharmacy. Instead, we have to go see a middle man to write the prescription and pocket a check while our misery is pro-longed.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:32 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
I'd go and see a P.A. or a Nurse Prac. if need be. In fact, i do all the time for the minor stuff.

But when i go and see a doc for a serious enough matter (like my persistent anemia), i want a certified doc. And i want to see him because that's the way it's always been. Now if you know of a better way, i'll do it that way. But no, i'm not interested in seeing a doctor who is only certified by his own peers. Peers hang out together. Drink beer together. Have chicken wings and show up at each others Superbowl parties. They go to each others childrens christenings. Their wives hang out together at the soccermom get-togethers.

I see the government certification as a non-biased and cold way of ensuring competence since feelings shouldn't play a part. And i like that there is one standard statewide. I don't want 10 guilds in one state with 10 different standards.
The certification process you describe would not be viewed as legitimate by the public and therefore would fail.

I was thinking it would be more likely we would end up with 3-4 national certifying bodies that are well regarded.

If democrats really believed in personal liberty and choice they would support the option of physicians getting private certifications only. Same with Republicans.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
It's interesting how people become so angry and just attack any new idea they encounter. Instead of trying to learn more about those ideas, they just immediately go into attack mode. Then, those same people want to demand universal health care, despite not recognizing the flaws in the system that make universal health care unaffordable in the current system. If we had licensing reforms in the medical field then universal healthcare might indeed be affordable.

I will never understand why people are okay with the fact that people are okay with a doctor's visit to treat the common cold costing upwards of $100. When someone shows up with obvious cold symptoms, it would make sense to just sell them the cold medicine directly from the pharmacy. Instead, we have to go see a middle man to write the prescription and pocket a check while our misery is pro-longed.
It's amazing to me how successful the government has been brainwashing her subjects into thinking she is the only entity that can provide safety and security and a plethora of other services......Especially when all one has to do is look around to see how the capitalist provides everything cheaper and more efficiently and with more options than the government.

We should eliminate the publik school systems. That would solve a lot of our problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies