Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times

Advertisements

Really? 66 pages of this? To what end?

It's really quite simple: You cannot believe what you cannot believe!

Some cannot believe that some omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent being came out of nowhere and intelligently designed the heavens, the earth, and all life on it.

Some cannot believe that some chemical reaction started a chain of events that was not planned and which, eventually led to life on earth which, in turn, changes in adaptive and non-adaptive ways, based on genetic mutation.

No matter what "evidence" you lay down in front of either group of people, they will readily discount it, mainly because it simply does not fit with their own ideas. There is nothing new about this - all humans readily adopt confirmatory evidence and reject contradictory evidence.

Now, I know which camp I belong to and I have absolutely no doubt that I am "right." I also have no problem with others not being in my camp. I can't believe they are so "blind, uneducated, deluded, ignorant, moronic, brain-washed, close-minded" or whatever word comes to your mind to not see "the truth." My truth, that is. You know what? I don't care - not one bit. I don't have to rub it in, I don't have to deride them, I don't have to argue with them (because it leads to NOTHING - never has).

We are ALL ignorant and can only take our best guess based on the evidence before us. To some, that best guess involves science, to others it involves faith.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,193,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
How is it possible to have a civil and intelligent debate when one side of it is completely full of nonsense?
It seems to me that no matter what side you are on, there is a leap of faith involved. Some will argue that the leap is shorter on one side but I say, so what, it is still a leap.

If there is a GOD do you think you could ever be like him in your process of evolution? Do you think you have reached the zenith of intelligence? You have to go one way or the other.

Personally, I believe that GOD is the ultimate scientist that all past, present and future scientist will be trying to figure out, how can I be wrong?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:11 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
It seems to me that no matter what side you are on, there is a leap of faith involved. Some will argue that the leap is shorter on one side but I say, so what, it is still a leap.

If there is a GOD do you think you could ever be like him in your process of evolution?
But see, that's the problem.

The two sides are not equally valid. They aren't even close to being equally valid.

Everyone's perception may be their own reality, but science is designed to lead us to a better understanding of objective reality. Science helps to neutralize that instinct to believe what we want to believe, by the application of logic and the scientific methods.

Creationists do not understand either of these concepts. They are entirely subjective, it is they that have a psychologic motivation to defend their position. Just look at some of Guyintexas' posts - when he gets riled, the political/religious ideology leaks out. It's obvious that his worldview distorts his perception of reality.

Again, that's why we have logic and science - so that we don't have to rely on subjective perceptions of reality.

As for your question, I don't think I understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies