Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Well, I was hungry so I made a choice to have fruit instead of a bag of cheetos. If more people did this, we wouldn't have as many fat people----or this debate.

The church thing.. well I just plain don't like them
So? I don't know that anyone here is defending bad eating habits. We're defending the rights of people to choose. So your statement isn't helping to prove any point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
So? I don't know that anyone here is defending bad eating habits. We're defending the rights of people to choose. So your statement isn't helping to prove any point.
People do - and should - have the right to choose what they want to eat. But how do we "tax the fat person"? Tax the the crap that makes people fat and or unhealthy. For people who eat this in moderation, it won't matter since they don't buy that junk often anyway--or they may really cut back. For people who live off of hamburger helper, ramen, cheetos, fried chicken, taco bell, etc..It'll either help some moo-cows cut back, or at least pay for their abuse to the health system by choosing to be large and in charge.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
People do - and should - have the right to choose what they want to eat. But how do we "tax the fat person"? Tax the the crap that makes people fat and or unhealthy. For people who eat this in moderation, it won't matter since they don't buy that junk often anyway--or they may really cut back. For people who live off of hamburger helper, ramen, cheetos, fried chicken, taco bell, etc..It'll either help some moo-cows cut back, or at least pay for their abuse to the health system by choosing to be large and in charge.
Many poor people cannot afford to eat much better than Ramen or other pre-packaged meals. Putting taxes on these type of foods is essentially driving up the prices on the poor, making it even harder for one to provide for their family. In case you didn't know, eating healthy isn't always wallet friendly.

Then there's also the question of what foods to tax. Regular food can lead to obesity as well, you know. You'd be surprised how much fat and cholesterol is found in the average person's breakfast alone.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:14 PM

If you ask me, what the government needs to do is stress the importance of drinking plenty of water. Advertise it like crazy until people get sick of it.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Not all fruits and veggies are expensive.
Beans are not expensive
Rice is not expensive
Some herbs & spices are not expensive

I was unemployed for 7 months. I quit my job, so I lived off of my savings. I ate just fine and I ate pretty healthy. It's possible. Anything else is just an excuse. The problem is people don't want to look into recipes with cheap, but real food ingredients. People don't want to take time to cut and chop, and cook. I do hate chopping and cutting, but still

About breakfast..
Oatmeal is not expensive.
There are decent not-high-in-sugar-but-actually-has-some-fiber cereals that are cheap.
Eggs can be delicious --and it's GOOD cholesterol -- but it's your choice if you are gonna cook the eggs in some butter, or a half of stick of butter per egg. Oh and butter IS better for your than margarine. It's real, but again.. it's the choice of how much butter you're going to use.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
I think it's a good idea, honestly.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I think it's a good idea, honestly.
Suggest it in France, then. This is America.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Yeah, they're pretty expensive for the US, if they're taxed you could save Medicare.What do you think about this idea ?

maybe we can tax vegetarians and vegans too, as not having a good source of meat protien is not good for you either.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Not all fruits and veggies are expensive.
Beans are not expensive
Rice is not expensive
Some herbs & spices are not expensive

I was unemployed for 7 months. I quit my job, so I lived off of my savings. I ate just fine and I ate pretty healthy. It's possible. Anything else is just an excuse. The problem is people don't want to look into recipes with cheap, but real food ingredients. People don't want to take time to cut and chop, and cook. I do hate chopping and cutting, but still

About breakfast..
Oatmeal is not expensive.
There are decent not-high-in-sugar-but-actually-has-some-fiber cereals that are cheap.
Eggs can be delicious --and it's GOOD cholesterol -- but it's your choice if you are gonna cook the eggs in some butter, or a half of stick of butter per egg. Oh and butter IS better for your than margarine. It's real, but again.. it's the choice of how much butter you're going to use.
Just how much time and how many options do you think a single mother of three with 2 jobs will have? I take it that you're single with no one else to provide for. You're right about beans and rice, but when it comes to having to stretch meals out and feed an entire family, many healthy foods simply aren't always that economical. I know this personally.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
I have blonde hair,blue eyes and fair Irish skin color, that puts me in a high risk category for skin cancer and osteoporosis. Should you tax me more because I live in the sunshine state and like to ride my bike and both activities lead to sun exposure or breaking a bone falling of my bike??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies