Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Many American blacks are flat out jealous that most African black immigrants to the U.S.A. can and do get good jobs as a result of being better educated and more intelligent than most American blacks.

On the other hand, these same American blacks hate the African black immigrants to the U.S.A. because most of the immigrants actually can speak English properly and their men rarely abandon their own children.
I was told that as well. An old job I had, I was working with an immigrant from Cameroon and he was as dark as the night sky is, and he told me when he lived in Detroit, he had an African-American co-worker that didn't like him at all. He told me that the AA said to him, "You know why I don't like you? Because your people sold mine into slavery. And how dare you follow us here after what you've done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Why does this subject scare you to the point that your contribution is to want to shut the thread down and suppress any discussion by name calling?
PC flows through her veins and arteries in dangerous amounts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I know an "African-American" who isn't black.
So if I were to move to Africa, would I be an American-African? And would it matter whether or not I am black?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,340,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I was told that as well. An old job I had, I was working with an immigrant from Cameroon and he was as dark as the night sky is, and he told me when he lived in Detroit, he had an African-American co-worker that didn't like him at all. He told me that the AA said to him, "You know why I don't like you? Because your people sold mine into slavery. And how dare you follow us here after what you've done!"
Wow.

I wonder what that guy would say to an immigrant from Liberia.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
SILVER SPRING, Md., Aug. 27 — For a moment, the Ethiopian-born activist seemed to melt into the crowd, blending into the sea of black professors, health experts and community leaders considering how to educate blacks about the dangers of prostate cancer. But when he piped up to suggest focusing some attention on African immigrants, the dividing lines were promptly and pointedly drawn.
The focus of the campaign, the activist, Abdulaziz Kamus, was told, would be strictly on African-Americans.
''I said, 'But I am African and I am an American citizen; am I not African-American?''' said Mr. Kamus, who is an advocate for African immigrants here, recalling his sense of bewilderment. ''They said 'No, no, no, not you.'''

'African-American' Becomes a Term for Debate - NYTimes.com

What do you think about it ? Sorry for the old article, but African immigrants and Haitian immigrants population boomed, so I guess it's good to know more about it
For someone who has repeatedly expressed views indicating that they are not very fond of people of African ancestry, you certainly do take a great interest in our issues. Never a benevolent interest, however

Last edited by calipoppy; 02-13-2011 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
I think one of the big issues is that everyone with dark skin is lumped together for no reason other than they are black. It would be like lumping together caucasians from Russian, Sweden, and Australia and saying they must all be exactly the same. People are just different, and whether it's their education, environement, upbringing, politics, whatever, it just is. We never try to justify the differences or similarities between Chinese and Cubans for example, so why try with black Americans and black Africans. May I add that Africa is a HUGE continent with many different cultures and religions, trying to compare people from country to country within Africa is pointless.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think one of the big issues is that everyone with dark skin is lumped together for no reason other than they are black. It would be like lumping together caucasians from Russian, Sweden, and Australia and saying they must all be exactly the same. People are just different, and whether it's their education, environement, upbringing, politics, whatever, it just is. We never try to justify the differences or similarities between Chinese and Cubans for example, so why try with black Americans and black Africans. May I add that Africa is a HUGE continent with many different cultures and religions, trying to compare people from country to country within Africa is pointless.
But that is how they are referred to today..not just "Blacks" but "African-American". So where does that leave the true African Americans who immigrated from Africa and now live in the US ?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
Yeah, I've always wondered that, also. If a white kid is born in, say, Johannesburg, or perhaps Cape Town, and his family moves to the US, is that kid and the family as a whole still considered "African-American"?
No..he isn't African-American...hell, in South Africa, the blacks don't even think of them as Africans. They are "settlers" there.

Whatever. I don't care one way or the other. But i know that here, they are not African Americans.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I concur and to hit the point home even harder there are very few things a black raised in seattle has with a georgia black or a california black. Their culture, like germans, irish, italians etc has more to do with the regional sensibilities & familial ties they're living out than the color of their skin. I see no evidence that blacks have a distinct culture of their own that isn't a commercial by product of fads much the same as white folks melting pot has watered down their distinct customs of their origins.

More than a little strange for me to walk onto an indian reservation on long island and meet a black who married into the tribe now selling discount cigaretttes. Cultural preservation? A wooden tobacco indian holding a peace pipe will greet you at a trailer home sales room. Looks like they've upgraded a bit..
About Us
but... having been native born there, entire school districts named after numerous tribes, I don't recall ever meeting an actual Native American or witness the culture they claim is theirs directly with my own eyes. In South Dakota I saw some. Navajo country too. But not Long Island. Native Long Islanders are left wondering why we make space to accommodate something that doesn't exist. Whether they chose to assimilate or their progeny scattered or went west, there doesn't appear to be any reason these reservations exist on Long Island save for a tax shelter for cigarettes. I believe that is a sad truth, but still no evidence surfaces to contradict.

Native Americans, if they're living their customs on reserved land, it makes sense to have the hyphen. African Americans should just be Americans or decide they don't mean to be here. They wanted desegregation and equality and when it's right there facing them they psychologically retreat into arguments their identity was stolen and don't want to be white. Sorry, I can't help you anymore. If being who you are is now my responsibility, how is that not a human being asking me to be someones master? Doesn't compute.

All I can say at this point in time in history, and in my life; I wish them well but my work is done. They'll do their own work.
What work have you done? You've done NOTHING on my behalf. Not a damn thing. I owe you NOTHING. Anything that i have i've attained is due to the black people who came before me to make the American Dream possible for me. Are you black? If not, then stop flattering yourself..."i can't help you anymore?" Who in the hell are you kidding? As if you were ever helping in the first place. LMAO...this is laughable!

And i'm an AFRICAN AMERICAN! I refuse to let outsiders (non-blacks) define me or make the decision as to what i call myself. What is this "or decide they don't mean to be here" crap? We're not immigrants. We were brought here FYI. And we're here to stay no matter what we call ourselves. We helped build the place, sustain it, and have shed blood on countless battlefields to defend it. Get used to it!

Some of your statements are so profoundly ridiculous, that i just shake my head. "They wanted desegregation and equality?" Who wanted desegregation? No, we wanted what was rightfully OURS guaranteed to us in the constitution that we shed blood in this nations wars to defend. And "equality?" Please...another attempt at flattery. I'm your equal at a minimum!!

You wish me well? Somehow, i doubt that very seriously.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But that is how they are referred to today..not just "Blacks" but "African-American". So where does that leave the true African Americans who immigrated from Africa and now live in the US ?
African-American is certainly not a term that has everyone feeling all warm and fuzzy. It is highly contentious for a multitude of reasons, and has more of a cultural connotation than anything. In my experience Africans refer to themselves as Africans, as that is what they are.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No..he isn't African-American...hell, in South Africa, the blacks don't even think of them as Africans. They are "settlers" there.

Whatever. I don't care one way or the other. But i know that here, they are not African Americans.
This is a very complicated topic. Don't forget for better or worse (usually worse) white colonists have been in Africa since the early 1600's. Also different history and attitudes depending on which country you are referring to. It would be a tad callous to try to convince someone that despite being between 8th and 10th generation Africans that they are not Africans merely because of their Melanin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies