Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:11 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Many American blacks are flat out jealous that most African black immigrants to the U.S.A. can and do get good jobs as a result of being better educated and more intelligent than most American blacks.

Really? I never noticed that. I'm not jealous of any person from any nationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,018,676 times
Thank you both Jazzy and Cali for the insight. Cali, are you saying that blacks still cling onto the term AA because it helps them maintain a sort of identity? I realize your color separates you from other members in our society, but isn't there a more accurate and proper catagory to lump ALL people of color into other than AA's? It just seems so vague and outdated.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I've never understood it. African American is just an optional term to use when somebody is trying to be PC when referring to people of color, and they don't want to offend anyone by using the terms black, colored, negro, ect...

Most blacks in America have never once been in Africa, nor do they still have relations to anyone in that country. I'm a second generation German. I don't go around telling people that I'm German-American, even though I have spent time in that country, am semi fluent in German, and have a bunch of relatives living there. When people ask me what my heritage is, I tell them German. Otherwise, I'm an American. If you ask some black guy on the street what his heritage is, the odds are fairly high that he's not going to say "African".

So, for other than for the purpose of PC-ness and "diversity" issues, why are black people born here in the U.S. that have no ties to Africa referred to African Americans?
I don't give a damn about what German-Americans call themselves. I'm not one of them, so it's not my issue. And i should have no say so in the matter. Stop telling us (black folks) about what white folks do or say. It's not our concern, and we have no obligation to do the same things that you do.

If you ask some random black guy on the street what his heritage is, OF COURSE there will be some mention of Africa. What the hell else is he going to say? Mississippi? Get real.

It doesn't matter that whether or not we've been to Africa. Our ancestors came from there....forcibly. And we have every right to pay homage to that diaspora by calling ourselves "African-Americans." That's all the explanation you need. Case closed.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I was told that as well. An old job I had, I was working with an immigrant from Cameroon and he was as dark as the night sky is, and he told me when he lived in Detroit, he had an African-American co-worker that didn't like him at all. He told me that the AA said to him, "You know why I don't like you? Because your people sold mine into slavery. And how dare you follow us here after what you've done!"
He may have told you that, but the story never happened. It's complete bull.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:19 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Thank you both Jazzy and Cali for the insight. Cali, are you saying that blacks still cling onto the term AA because it helps them maintain a sort of identity? I realize your color separates you from other members in our society, but isn't there a more accurate and proper catagory to lump ALL people of color into other than AA's? It just seems so vague and outdated.

"Black" (although more accurately brown) is our color

"African" is our ancestral origin

"American" is our nationality

I personally use Black American and African American interchangeably in referring to myself. There is no "clinging". There is nothing political about it. My actual ancestry is African (the actual nations and tribes are unknown), Caucasian (which is a legacy of slavery) and Chinese (which is a legacy of the Chinese who worked the Texas railroads). My parents refer to themselves as "Black". And society views us as "Black".

And FYI people of color is a collective term for ALL non-Whites however it is used most often for Blacks

Old 02-13-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Many American blacks are flat out jealous that most African black immigrants to the U.S.A. can and do get good jobs as a result of being better educated and more intelligent than most American blacks.

On the other hand, these same American blacks hate the African black immigrants to the U.S.A. because most of the immigrants actually can speak English properly and their men rarely abandon their own children.
Better educated? Probably on average. They're a smaller group. More intelligent? That's wishful thinking on your part.

The rest of your post is complete nonsense. You're an outsider...you have no idea about African/African American relations in this country. NONE! You're just offering conjecture....that's what you WANT to be true. But i can assure you, you haven't the faintest idea about what you speak.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:37 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post

Really? I never noticed that. I'm not jealous of any person from any nationality.
Did you think that comment was made out of anything except a lie and ignorance.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:46 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He may have told you that, but the story never happened. It's complete bull.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post

Nor am i. For what? I've NEVER noticed African-Americans being jealous of African immigrants for any reason. Again, these are comments from outsiders. If they aren't black, how in the heck would they know what intra-black relations are like?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,018,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't give a damn about what German-Americans call themselves. I'm not one of them, so it's not my issue. And i should have no say so in the matter. Stop telling us (black folks) about what white folks do or say. It's not our concern, and we have no obligation to do the same things that you do.
I was trying to be civil and gain a better understanding. You make it sound like I'm trying to control your actions. Militant much?

Quote:
It doesn't matter that whether or not we've been to Africa. Our ancestors came from there....forcibly. And we have every right to pay homage to that diaspora by calling ourselves "African-Americans." That's all the explanation you need. Case closed.
[/quote]

Let me get right on those reparations for you. I can't help but get the impression that you dislike white people in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies