Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,527,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
: a state of hostility, conflict, or antagonism b : a struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end <a class war> <a war against disease> War - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
You're really gonna strech this one aren't you?

You're switching to secondary definitions, which btw usually apply to specific expression, like class war.

So what is this? An illegal immigrant war? Even in an hyperbolic way, it doesn't right.

This is tiresome. I'm gonna go grab a bite to win my war against my hunger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:19 AM

26,885 posts, read 38,173,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
The argument that the french were original settler doesn't fly to well with the english speaking population.
As you surely know quite well, whether it flies well or not with the English Canadian population doesn't really change anything to the historical fact that French settlers were the original "Canadians" in a large part of the country.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As you surely know quite well, whether it flies well or not with the English Canadian population doesn't really change anything to the historical fact that French settlers were the original "Canadians" in a large part of the country.
I assure you that if the french speaking population was smaller, canadian billingualsim would not exist regardless of who was here first. Billingualsim was implemented for political reasons, not to honor history. Just ask natives what they have to say on demoography.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I assure you that if the french speaking population was smaller, canadian billingualsim would not exist regardless of who was here first. Billingualsim was implemented for political reasons, not to honor history. Just ask natives what they have to say on demoography.
I agree that they did not implement federal bilingualism out of the goodness of their hearts. It was politically strategic for sure.

That said, as a French-speaking Canadian, whether or not people in Red Deer or Kitchener are comfortable with or embrace or even begrudgingly accept our legitimate status as a founding and enduring people of Canada doesn't have any effect whatsoever on my political views or, most importantly, my resolve.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I agree that they did not implement federal bilingualism out of the goodness of their hearts. It was politically strategic for sure. .
As it will be when hispanics start throwing their electoral weight around to get things going their way.

All this stuff about who got there first will mean nothing. That's what I was telling my friend there who thinks hispanics shouldn't get what they want because they weren't orginal settlers (if you overlook that of course: File:Mexico's Territorial Evolution.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Old 02-24-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
As it will be when hispanics start throwing their electoral weight around to get things going their way.

All this stuff about who got there first will mean nothing. That's what I was telling my friend there who thinks hispanics shouldn't get what they want because they weren't orginal settlers (if you overlook that of course: File:Mexico's Territorial Evolution.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
I guess it really depends on whether a big enough, relatively pure Spanish-dominant (linguistically) group attains critical mass in a given region of the U.S. I know many people in the U.S. say that this is already happening but in most places the second or third generation of hispanics is largely English-dominant. Or at least, their skills in English and Spanish are equally crappy and their true native language is probably Spanglish. Which means they won’t be writing up police reports or drafting architectural plans in anything resembling standard Spanish in their lifetimes.

Also, from my experiences working with French-speaking Canadians living in the English majority parts of the country (ie not in Quebec), there is often a lot of resistance to restoring or enhancing the place of language from the very people who are speakers of that language or whose parents or grandparents were. Many French-speaking Canadians living outside Quebec would be totally hostile if you suddenly switched everything in their daily lives into French, for the simple reason that they are too used to everything being in English. Although they still do speak French, often their ‘’practical English’’ is much better than their French.

All of which to say that many, many American hispanics are and would be opposed to a situation where Spanish would become the main official language of everyday life in their city or state.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,245,330 times
Quote:
You're really gonna strech this one aren't you?

You're switching to secondary definitions, which btw usually apply to specific expression, like class war.

So what is this? An illegal immigrant war? Even in an hyperbolic way, it doesn't right.

This is tiresome. I'm gonna go grab a bite to win my war against my hunger.
12-36 million illegals are invading this country

Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 AM

26,580 posts, read 14,503,811 times
Quote:
it's worse than that! we get invaded by a foreign force 50million strong...... every year! we call them tourists.

the OP was about a supposed organized military incursion on to the US ( or in this case aka 12 guys in a truck making a U-turn ). the problems of illegal immigration are many and have been discussed here on other threads. but one thing it is not .......... is an organized military invasion of the US.

i think we can agree on that.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I guess it really depends on whether a big enough, relatively pure Spanish-dominant (linguistically) group attains critical mass in a given region of the U.S. I know many people in the U.S. say that this is already happening but in most places the second or third generation of hispanics is largely English-dominant. Or at least, their skills in English and Spanish are equally crappy and their true native language is probably Spanglish. Which means they won’t be writing up police reports or drafting architectural plans in anything resembling standard Spanish in their lifetimes.
I agree with this. It's really nothing more than paranoia to think that the Spanish language will be another official language in the US. The conditions are simply not there to make that happen.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Invading infers hostility. You should be careful with the words you use. You would be more credible. Using strong language only makes you look like a drama queen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies