Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:53 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
You have been forewarned, this is not a game, not a silly test of debate skills and wills, it is the real thing. Two of my closes friends barely escaped death on 911 and several, well they didn't escape. One of the survivors still can't speak about it.

WAKE UP.

Many innocent people died on 9/11/01. That is nearly always the case when cities are bombed, whether we are on the receiving end or whether--as is much more common--we are dealing out death to other people. Ask people in Fallujah, Baghdad, Panama City, Hanoi, Hiroshima, Tokyo, Dresden, etc. what they think about 9/11 and they are likely to say "been there, done that."

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-21-2011 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 02-21-2011, 01:37 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Not quite, but the president of Iran doesn't really run too many things in Iran so it's irrelevant anyway.

If so, that will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If we say "good riddance" and shake hands with the victors we can expect only the normal problems from then on--in such an unlikely scenario.
Okay, I give up. Who really runs things?

'Divine mission' driving Iran's new leader - Telegraph

Iran's President Renews Interest in 'Hidden Imam' : NPR

That's just wishful thinking, to think we can hand shake with Iran (victor) and be done. Israel yes, we can shake their hand, Iran---not so much.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You offer me nothing, except for self-righteous whining about how ungrateful foreign people are when we do to them what they finally managed, one time, to do to us.
It has been quite now for awhile.

"According to one CIA analyst I spoke with last week, al Qaeda sleeper cells are embedded in most U.S. cities with sizable Islamic communities. “Why do you think 9/11 hijacker Mohammed Atta traveled to Maine the night before the attacks?” asked the analyst. The obvious answer, he explained, was that Atta was meeting with a “handler” to receive final instructions. There is no doubt, explained the analyst, that thousands of al Qaeda sleeper agents, including conspirators involved in the Sept. 11 attacks, remain in the country." WILLIAMS: Take terrorist cells out now - Washington Times

"They are waiting for the right time. I know this from experience." American Thinker: Sleeper Cells in the United States and Canada

"WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. military commander in charge of defending the U.S. homeland said Tuesday that he believes there are al-Qaeda cells in the United States or people working to create them." Al-Qaeda works to reform U.S. terror cells - USATODAY.com

Do you think maybe they just went home?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
I just want to say thank you to all of the folks here who rebuked the premise of this thread. Your voices contribute to our becoming a more peaceful, tolerant, and civilized society, and I, for one, am very grateful for that.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I just want to say thank you to all of the folks here who rebuked the premise of this thread. Your voices contribute to our becoming a more peaceful, tolerant, and civilized society, and I, for one, am very grateful for that.
Yea, well, tolerances must be made a two way street, ya know....

Iran's president: No one likes Americans - CNN

Old 02-21-2011, 02:19 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Yea, well, tolerances must be made a two way street, ya know....

Iran's president: No one likes Americans - CNN
So? Responding to hate with more hate will only lead to greater problems and more violence. What's your answer? Bomb Iran?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So? Responding to hate with more hate will only lead to greater problems and more violence. What's your answer? Bomb Iran?
Our government needs to stop playing footsie with those people under the table.

Leave from over there. Take our toys and come home. Shoot 'em, if they follow us, home.

We don't need their stink'in oil.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:00 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The war against Germany was against its government, not against the religion it operated on or used to gather support (Christianity).

You know even Communist China has a state approved "Christian" church.

For some reason Christians meet at the homes of other believers in defiance of the state and risk arrest to attend these alternative services.

So the Nazis used the church,...and?

They also arrested, tortured and murdered dissident religious leaders by the thousands.

Were you trying once again trying to make the case that Christianity is totalitarianism's war mongering evil twin?

"More and more the people must be separated from the churches and their organs the pastors . . . Just as the deleterious influences of astrologers, seers and other fakers are eliminated and suppressed by the State, so must the possibility of church influence also be totally removed . . . Not until this has happened, does the state leadership have influence on the individual citizens. Not until then are the people and Reich secure in their existence for all time."

- Martin Bormann

Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
The Constitution supports minority groups over majority groups. Always has always will. Sharia=Islam, Islam=Religion,
No, that is a gross oversimplification.

Rather, the Constitution protects certain basic rights of everyone against the tyranny of the majority. There are some rights we believe everyone should get no matter who is running the government.

That's the whole point of having the First Amendment.

Quote:
1st amendment, as long as it isn't government sponsored it flies.

Yes, so?

Quote:
Use to it was this ENGEL V. VITALE, 370 U. S. 421 :: Volume 370 :: 1962 :: Full Text :: US Supreme Court Cases from Justia & Oyez

Now, they don't look at these court cases so much any more, they grew tired of it.
More like they developed some guidelines and established some precedent, so there just aren't that many cases that get litigated on the topic anymore. That's the genius of stare decisis.

Quote:
Interesting I think it was you that brought up ACLU, how are those court cases working out for them?
Free Footbaths :: Accuracy In Academia
I can pick anecdotes as well as anyone, but since you asked, the Tiza case (which is what I was talking about) is in settlement negotiations, IOW, the ACLU is forcing them to back off.

Quote:
Islam has their minority support groups in place and in some cases, even the ACLU backs them.
Yes, WHEN THEY ARE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE LAW. You do understand the difference between the Establishment and Free Exercise clauses, don't you? I wonder. The ACLU will defend Muslims - and anyone else - on Free Exercise grounds. They will also go after the same people when they try to violate the Establishment clause, as Tiza did.

It's really not that hard to undersrtand

Quote:
I'm all for the atheist to go up against them, but they don't. They all the ones I see on c-d support. Beats all I ever saw.
It has nothing to do with atheists. And I think you see what you want to see, and not much else.

Quote:
pss: I forgot, "There are so many varying interpretations of what sharia actually means that in some places it can be incorporated into political systems relatively easily," says Steven A. Cook, CFR senior fellow for Middle Eastern studies. Culture and Foreign Policy - Council on Foreign Relations
Yes, it can. And so what. As long as the Constitution is followed it doesn't matter.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
This is what I don't get. Why do a lot of America liberals slam christianity while not slamming Islam? Islam is much more fundamental and hardcore than any sort of christianity so why would you defend that if you're slamming christianity?
Read the posts more carefully.

No one here is defending Islam per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies