Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,591,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The problem is that anti-Muslim sentiment is driven by "Fear of the Other". Most people that have anti-Muslim sentiments are driven by the propoganda they received disguised as news.

More likely than not they have never taken the opportunity to get to know a Muslim person or viisit a Muslim community or country.
Oh yes, the muslims are real peaceful and are so respectful of our country. Whatever! I have ZERO tolerance for the islam/muslim religion - and YES they are one and the same and everyone whom takes their blinders off knows it is true.

Muslim Cleric Plans White House Protest in Attempt to Spread Sharia Law in America - FoxNews.com

Old 02-20-2011, 02:43 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Why the US can't stop it's militarism is beyond me.
Let's not make Islam the new "red peril".
There is a lot of money to be made in selling guns, tanks, ships, and planes to the government.

There is a significant number of Americans that are gingoistic. Basically they think they have a god given right to bully the world militarily. Little do they realize we now live in a world where economic power counts more than military power. While the United States has spent over a trillion dollars in the past nine years waging war other countries around the world have invested in growing their economies. While the United States is mired in a debt induced economic downturn that will take the better part of decade to resolve other countries will contnue to grow their economies.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
There are a lot of crazy radical muslims, and they have a bigger and bigger following. They are a threat. They tell us that they are a threat, and yet America doesn't listen to them. It's called denial. Obama thinks that if we kiss their arse, then they will like us more. That if we let have their way in our country, and not hold them responsible for their bombings, then they will stop with their attacks. What he doesn't get is that they will not stop. They haven't stopped in thousands of years, and they will not stop now. They honestly believe that it is their duty to remove Israel and then America from the planet. They are no religion of peace. Just "peace" for muslim men. No one else, just muslim men.
I would hardly called the stepped up drone attacks and the special ops wars we have going on in Yemen, Pakistan and other countries around the world during the Obama administration that are largely out of site and out of mind of the majority of American people "kissing their arse".

Also many Palistinians were unjustly removed from homes and force to give up property and wealth during the creation of Israel. As long as America contnues to support Israel and by the Israelis contnue to brutalize, oppress and disenfranchise the Palestinian populace America will be looked upon by many people in Arab world as an accessory in the oppression of the Palestinian people.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:23 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
You said it wall when you said "Nah", which I take as Cretin for "I can't because I have no evidence to the contrary"
I like saying things "wall".

Quote:
All babble after your "nah" is irrelevant.
Yet, somehow, I sense a comment coming on...

Quote:
You sound a lot like the people in the '30s who said Hitler was nothing to get worked up over. Many were Jewish, and gave up the gold in their teeth, the blood in their veins and the life in their heart to the "nothing to get worked up over" Reich.
That's funny, because some of your screeds distinctly reminded me of Julius Streicher's, except of course he wrote more coherently. Whipping people into a fear-fueled frenzy against an religious and ethnic minority has been a favorite party trick of tyrants and would-be tyrants for centuries.

I'll waste one more reply on you, then you can declare victory to your little heart's content.

The free world used to have a real enemy with real teeth - I and millions of others were quite earnestly preparing to take on the 3rd Soviet Shock Army by the Fulda Gap. That was the real McCoy as threats go - Hinds, T-72s, BMPs, Katyushas, SU-25s, VX, the works. And we stared them down. Back then we went to sleep knowing that actual nuclear missiles were pointed right at us, that our cities were one mistake away form being charred husks. That was something to fear, alright. We didn't give in to our emotions and reacted blindly, we carefully built our defenses and trusted in our ideals in the meantime.

In comparison to what we've overcome in the past, Militant Islam is poor, weak and disorganized. Stop howling bloody murder and think. Their biggest actual "success" so far hinged on stealing 4 of our civilian aircraft. That's not the act of a powerful enemy. And did that attack actually further the cause of Militant Islam in the US? Not really. The major changes are them we instituted ourselves - some rational, some less so.

So stop emoting and start thinking. Militant Islam is a problem. Islam, as practiced by most, is no more or less a problem than any other religion. Unless, of course, we blindly insist on saddling every Muslim with the guilt of the acts committed by the most extreme militants.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstream View Post
FAMOUS last words. Wait until they get nukes. Give 'em a few hundred years and see what happens.

The monster is not under my bed, but who knows what might be under yours - obviously not History books.
Pakistan has nukes and Iran will probably have them in the next couple of years.

Neither poses a threat to the United States.

So what's your point?

Old 02-20-2011, 04:42 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,211,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I like saying things "wall".

Yet, somehow, I sense a comment coming on...

That's funny, because some of your screeds distinctly reminded me of Julius Streicher's, except of course he wrote more coherently. Whipping people into a fear-fueled frenzy against an religious and ethnic minority has been a favorite party trick of tyrants and would-be tyrants for centuries.

I'll waste one more reply on you, then you can declare victory to your little heart's content.

The free world used to have a real enemy with real teeth - I and millions of others were quite earnestly preparing to take on the 3rd Soviet Shock Army by the Fulda Gap. That was the real McCoy as threats go - Hinds, T-72s, BMPs, Katyushas, SU-25s, VX, the works. And we stared them down. Back then we went to sleep knowing that actual nuclear missiles were pointed right at us, that our cities were one mistake away form being charred husks. That was something to fear, alright. We didn't give in to our emotions and reacted blindly, we carefully built our defenses and trusted in our ideals in the meantime.

In comparison to what we've overcome in the past, Militant Islam is poor, weak and disorganized. Stop howling bloody murder and think. Their biggest actual "success" so far hinged on stealing 4 of our civilian aircraft. That's not the act of a powerful enemy. And did that attack actually further the cause of Militant Islam in the US? Not really. The major changes are them we instituted ourselves - some rational, some less so.

So stop emoting and start thinking. Militant Islam is a problem. Islam, as practiced by most, is no more or less a problem than any other religion. Unless, of course, we blindly insist on saddling every Muslim with the guilt of the acts committed by the most extreme militants.
Let me give you an example.

Imagine there is a marsh near your city. Most of the inhabitants of the swamp are relatively harmless. True, some can be dangerous if provoked, but by and large, they about their business of devouring each other under the direction of "eat and be eaten". So far, so good. The Marsh is Islam, the City is everyone else, and the creatures are most Muslims. Keeping up so far?

However, on an constant and ongoing basis, the marsh keeps giving birth to creatures not satisfied to stay in the swamp and eat each other, but leave the marsh to attack and kill inhabitants of the city who are staying in the city or travel in or near the marsh. It has been going on for almost a thousand years. At times, the inhabitants of the city have proactively gone after these bad creatures, but nontheless the marsh keeps sending wave after wave of bad creatures that proactively attack the inhabitants of the city, and chanting "Marsh Akbar" "Marsh Akbar". To make matters worse, the marsh keeps getting bigger and the creatures that leave it to torment and torture the inhabitants of the city are getting more effective at killing the cities inhabitants. Morever, the marsh evil creatures keep going after the inhabitants of cities miles away.

You see, despite the fact that there are good inhabitants of the marsh, it is obvious that it must be drained. The good creatures would be free to live in other waterways, but the "evil" swamp must be drained, or the people in the cities will all be slaughtered by the relatively small percentage of its creatures who are evil and attack the people forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever....

Study this hard, real hard - and do so as to understand, for you desperately need to understand because you are in so deep over your head as to be doomed unless you change your blindered, head up and locked views.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:22 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,464,761 times
Quote:
Pakistan has nukes and Iran will probably have them in the next couple of years.

Neither poses a threat to the United States.

So what's your point?
The point is that they are very volatile countries with unstable regimes. Their use of any WMD is questionable. Also they may provide such weapons to a third party to attack their perceived enemies. Syria and Iran are experts at waging war via proxies.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:25 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Oh yes, the muslims are real peaceful and are so respectful of our country. Whatever! I have ZERO tolerance for the islam/muslim religion - and YES they are one and the same and everyone whom takes their blinders off knows it is true.

Muslim Cleric Plans White House Protest in Attempt to Spread Sharia Law in America - FoxNews.com
Based on this line of logic, this must mean that all Christians support the murder of abortion clinic doctors.

Therefore Christians are murderers.

(I'm not saying they are, but if we were to use the logic that you just used this would be an accurate statement and opinion.)

Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,464,761 times
Quote:
Also many Palistinians were unjustly removed from homes and force to give up property and wealth during the creation of Israel. As long as America contnues to support Israel and by the Israelis contnue to brutalize, oppress and disenfranchise the Palestinian populace America will be looked upon by many people in Arab world as an accessory in the oppression of the Palestinian people.
1) America will be looked upon by many Arabs and Muslims as an enemy even if Israel didn't exist: Bin Laden and co, accused America of corrupting the holy soil (of Arabia) and stealing from Arabs their oil. That has nothing to do with Israel.
2) Israel brutalizes... The problem is that these are Jews. There was no problem when Syria brutalized her population (1982), when Jordan killed many Palestinians in 1970, or when Saddam killed 500,000 Iranians between 1980-88.
3) Even today the savage suicide bombings of innocent Iraqi civilians is tolerated and accepted by Arabs because it is a dispute "in the family".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hama_massacre

Last edited by oberon_1; 02-20-2011 at 05:42 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
First take out little satan which is Israel, then take out big satan which is the U.S. then the hidden Imam will come. That is what's on the Iran President's mind.
Not quite, but the president of Iran doesn't really run too many things in Iran so it's irrelevant anyway.

Quote:
Israel gets overrun, our problems will be just beginning.
If so, that will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If we say "good riddance" and shake hands with the victors we can expect only the normal problems from then on--in such an unlikely scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies