Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Tsk, tsk, tsk tax cuts for the rich? Crazy talk. You know eventually you will run out of other peoples money. It is time to put on our big boy pants and live within our means. Fortunately the people of the great state of New Jersey understand this. I suspect the people of Wisconsin do too.

By the way who said anything about cutting . It's the teachers choice, make a modest contribution to their benefits or saving will have to be acheived thorugh layoffs. The teachers hard line position is hardly a great strategy. Againsomething we saw in NJ. Half our school budgets were voted down because teachers wouldn't contribute to their benefits.
Cutting taxes decreases revenue...which hurts middle class America. The rich are not your friends, nor are they your enemies, but they are only looking out for number 1. Shouldn't you do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM

443 posts, read 1,567,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Neither do you. LOL

In case you didn't notice, this is not posted in the WI subforums.
I wasn't the one griping about bringing in teacher issues from other states, someone from Missouri was. When you post a quote try to read what the quote is in reference to or is that too hard.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, that is just to pay benefits for the unionized teachers unwilling to compromise and join in contributing toward their own benefits.

There has been no "tax cut" for the rich. You are trying to combine a state issue with a federal one and using false premise in the process.

I know it is tough Winter_S*cks; but, please try to contribute to this thread with something of substance instead of the usual deflection and hyperbole.
Actually it was a valid point. States do receive federal funding in education btw.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I would tend to agree, and I'm not at all bashing teachers in general. But why do teachers need to be paid more for doing the same job they've always done? Aside from cost of living/yearly increases, I see no reason to give higher pay...just like with the private sector. I considered being a teacher in FL when I was working on my degree and the pay isn't all that bad, plus the benefits are good. The whole point of being a teacher, however, is to teach the kids properly. That is what they are being compensated for, and if they're not doing their jobs, they should not have a job, much less get a raise. But this is what unions are doing, protecting horrible teachers and promoting bad behavior just to make another buck. We have totally gotten away from the purpose of public schooling in the first place: to ensure a proper basic education for all.
I don't think it's so much higher pay, as Scott Walker wants the union members to contribute modestly to their health (12-13%) and pension (~ 6%) benefits. The union is reluctant. He also wants to limit collective bargaining rights for non-salary items.

This is outrageous; the people paying the union members (i.e. the rest of us) are losing jobs left and right, while new graduates are piling up insane debt loads with grim job prospects. While all this goes on, we have to fork over more and more money to the Governments so they can **** it away.

We have to pay for our benefits, so why shouldn't the union members in Wisconsin or anywhere else? There is NO MONEY for this. Chris Christie said it best when he said the unions would thank him in 15 years because they are at least receiving something. If this path continues, they'll either get nothing in terms of dollars or nothing in the sense they'll get dollars that have no purchasing power. We all have to cut back, Government included. Besides, these are VERY modest concessions.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 PM

910 posts, read 1,677,207 times
No we should focus on getting rid of lousy union protected teachers first, and then bring in new talent. Set a REASONABLE starting salary, add in some basic HC and insurance benefits and end pensions once and for all. If they don't contribute to their own retirement, then tough break, it's not anyone's responsibility but their own.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Cutting taxes decreases revenue...which hurts middle class America. The rich are not your friends, nor are they your enemies, but they are only looking out for number 1. Shouldn't you do the same?

Looking out for my best interests includes NOT chasing the highest tax payers from the state. No one is forced to live in Wisconsin, New Jersey, Nevada or anywhere. We found in NJ we lost $70 billion in wealth due to tax policy.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 PM

443 posts, read 1,567,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The state budget has to be balanced as that is the law in all of the states. The union members can either pitch in and help with contributions (partially) toward their health and retirement pensions, or, they can cost others their jobs by their selfishness. It is not as though Gov. Walker can just print money to pay them the way Obama does.

Walker is doing his best to balance the budget with the least amount of pain to everyone involved. So, why wouldn't the Democrats and their union membership bread and butter supporters want to help with that effort?

Could it be because the Democrat party and Obama have literally given them their orders on how to behave? I mean, the DNC and Obama are promoting this walk-out on their websites.
I assume you realize it's not Obama that is printing that money right? The people doing that(The Fed in case you don't know) are the same ones that were around when your boy W was running things. Maybe Fox should try to start Marketing Gingko Biloba for all the memory loss, of course that would kill their ratings.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:16 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Actually it's 8,000 and it really is up to the union, the money tree has run out of leaves. Either contribute modestly to their benefits or the cost savings will have to be found through layoffs. I suspect the teachers true colors will be shown and they'll opt for layoffs. You see they really don't care about the children, the union has only one interst, money.
Good point, but the money tree NEVER really had as many leaves as people thought. This system (of generous benefits) was unsustainable form the start, although its flaws have come to light more recently.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I don't think it's so much higher pay, as Scott Walker wants the union members to contribute modestly to their health (12-13%) and pension (~ 6%) benefits. The union is reluctant. He also wants to limit collective bargaining rights for non-salary items.

This is outrageous; the people paying the union members (i.e. the rest of us) are losing jobs left and right, while new graduates are piling up insane debt loads with grim job prospects. While all this goes on, we have to fork over more and more money to the Governments so they can **** it away.

We have to pay for our benefits, so why shouldn't the union members in Wisconsin or anywhere else? There is NO MONEY for this. Chris Christie said it best when he said the unions would thank him in 15 years because they are at least receiving something. If this path continues, they'll either get nothing in terms of dollars or nothing in the sense they'll get dollars that have no purchasing power. We all have to cut back, Government included. Besides, these are VERY modest concessions.
Some of us newly minted grads (2 years out now) want to become teachers, but are facing the reality that I can't pay off my debts and try to help society. I have to choose between the two or stay abroad.

Here, I get free housing, pension, severance pay, healthcare, dental. At least 5 people I've met in the 3 months of living abroad were teachers that were under compensated in their respective districts. They are saving up to get a masters degree (like me) to hopefully find a job that pays okay back in the states. However, it seems less and less likely.

Some of those concessions could be about not helping tuition repayment for teachers. The average starting salary in WI for a bachelor's degree is $31,000. That's not that much considering the amount of loans many people have.

I think that had the collective bargaining not been messed with, there would still be an uproar, but not as much of one.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Actually it was a valid point. States do receive federal funding in education btw.
Yes they do but the bulk of school disctrict funding comes from property taxes (i.e. the taxpayers of WI). This Governor campaigned on this specific issue of making public employees contribute more toward their benefits in order to balance the state budget. Because he was elected they now throw a tantrum when he follows through on the wishes of the state at large? Really?

No, these teachers are proving they are more committed to being union activists than they are in being teachers.

These unionized teachers are showing that they have no problem defrauding the system by lying about being "sick" in order to join union protests.

These unionized are showing that as role modles they are willing to use the children in their care as bargaining chips and as useful idiots (unwitting accomplices and props) in protest.

It is nothing short of shameful. If any of these kids protesting were hauled out of school without the expressed knowledge and permission of their parents these unionized activist teachers should be brought up on kidnaping charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies