Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Well, I don't know who all he's considering laying off. The teachers work for the individual school districts, don't they?
Here, they are considered state workers. Same with those who work for the university (UWM).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
This "angers people to no end." Yeah, ok. Most of these people have no problems and/or complaints, paying some professional athlete, 7 million a year, to hit a ball with a piece of wood. They also have no problems with paying 200 bucks+ for a ticket, 9 bucks for a hot dog, or 9 bucks for a beer.

But dammit. Pay a teacher, who teaches their kids a good wage? OMG!!! The world is coming to an end. NO. STOP. Wait, hold on, Joe Blow just hit a home run. I need to see this. My kid's homework? Uh, well, "Don't you see? That home run was a record breaking event."
Private sector. Apples and oranges. The pay will be what the demand demands. My kid(s) won't attend public school, so no, "my" kids are not being taught by these idiots who would just as soon walk out than teach. Your last part doesn't have anything to do with anything.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
New York City Department of Education

These schools employ UNION teachers. I have refuted something you posted.
No you havent I never said there were no union schools you fool. I said the school my sister teaches at was not union. go to bed now look at the time you need your rest and it is showing

Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Not true, and I have posted a link about this a few times now but don't feel like digging it up again. In Milwaukee, pay starts at $35k, caps at $98k, average is $56k plus $30 in benefits. I would guess including bennies, stating pay comes to around $50k.
I was off by $3,000 dollars a year. In Madison it's 33k. In some rural school districts it goes down to about 27k. As for the high end, that's probably true...maybe not since CA usually has the amongst the highest for the high end at around 90k. I'd have to dig it up.

It's not 20,000 in benefits a year btw.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^It's a public/private partnership, though. Most stadiums are tax funded and taxpayer maintained. "Socialized baseball" as one of our crustier newspaper guys called it when we had to vote on Coors Field. And even though the payor is different, isn't it amazing that we consider a few millions no big deal for a pro athlete, but $50K for a teacher is "outrageous"?
That's probably b/c the stadium attracts tourism, which props up the city.... You do realize that cities pay big bucks to have the Superbowl in their city, right? That's b/c of the tourism the whole thing attracts, it benefits the city, so it's win-win for the franchise as well as the city.

Besides, the players are being paid by the organization, not the local gov't.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Yo dude,who you talkin to. My younger sister is 52 and travels from LI to inner city NY to teach 5 days a week.No freakin union they wont touch that stuff. they aint tough enough! she has been in the news,testified before congress and is a real life charactor in a bestselling book. My daughter is a teacher in WY no union and doing quite well.PS Thanks for calling me a liar. shows you will say anything to prove you are fake and cant prove a point with facts have a nice fake life
You just stated "No freakin union they wont touch that stuff. they aint tough enough".

You clearly don't remember what you wrote. This is the internet, there is a record of each lie that you tell.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
......... This is the internet, there is a record of each lie that you tell.
Irony alert!

Quote:
..........If it were ALL about money then they wouldn't have decided to become teachers in the first place. It's also about respect and trying to change the anti-education tide that has swept this nation.

There is no "anti-education" tide in this country. Talk about hyperbole flinging. Jeeze!

This is a tide against the teachers unions and an acknowledgement that the people recognize a direct correlation between the formation and growth of the teachers union and the decreased performance of students in our public schools nationwide.

If anything the public is calling for more resources to go to the children's education and less to the unions! If you would take off your ideologue blinders you might see that.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

There is no "anti-education" tide in this country. Talk about hyperbole flinging. Jeeze!

This is a tide against the teachers unions and that the people recognize a direct corralation between the formation and growth of the teachers union and the decreased performance of students in our public schools nationwide.

If anything the public is calling for more resources to go to the children's education and less to the unions! If you would take off your ideologue blinders you might see that.
There is. You have people appointed to Congress who have been on record stating that they want to dismantle the Dept. of Ed. One of the biggest criticisms of Obama was that he graduated from Harvard (remember the latte liberal cartoon?), you have this going on in WI. You also have people running advocating that we homeschool our children. The Texas textbook revisions...

These just some examples of anti-education in this nation.

It's not just against the teacher's union it really is an assault on state education and education in general (Texas book fight as an example).

Well if they are calling for more resources to go towards education why did they vote Tea Party or Republican?

I'm not the one with blinders. WI should be an indication that many elected officials do not want to support public education.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:45 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
If you are going to play the "democratic" process card, why does your side complain about health care reform?

And why is it wrong for teachers to look out for their own interests? I have never understood this.
Ummmm you do understand the courts are part of the democratic process don't you? Complaining is a little different hsan trying to overturn election results.

There is nothing wrong with teachers looking out for there best interest, they should. Their best interest and the taxpayers best interest ar not aligned. They care about money, not the kids.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Not only are the teachers throwing the children and the taxpayers under the bus but also other employees at the schools who are not unionized.

I was listening to talk radio and a female lunchroom worker called in complaining that because the schools are closed obviously there will be no meals served, which means she doesn't get paid any of the days the unionized teachers are forcing school district shutdowns (lunch workers at her school are not unionized). How is that considerate of the unionized teachers? Isn't it rather selfish to directly harm others just because they don't want to contribute to their own benfit package?
They don't care about the chain effect of people who lose wages over this, there mentality is "Its all about them" just like they are teaching our children the same self centered mentality.

12.6 to their health care and 5.6 to their pensions. WHOPEEEEE--Welcome to the real world.

Really what are they losing, because it just go's into a different pocket of their pants.

The private sector that PAYS THEM DOESN"T have that luxury.

The free ride is over!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies