Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
I'd rather we 'throw' money at teachers than at the military contractors. Teachers are our future, the military contractors are just useless bloodsucking slugs.
Well, I would rather we not "throw" money at any public
service, just for the hell of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Kim Hoffman, a middle school music teacher, said she and her husband, also a teacher, would lose $1,200 a month under the plan — too deep a cut to manage.

“I love teaching, but I’d have to start looking for another job, period,” she said."
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
I'm assuming this dim bulb trumpet blower didn't save for a rainy day? Another genius who thought the public tit would never go dry.

I hope Kim and her husband enjoyed the suckling session.
Yeah. That amount probably is only 10% max of their combined salaries.

There are plenty of people that live off of $1,200 a month or less.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
I'd rather we 'throw' money at teachers than at the military contractors. Teachers are our future, the military contractors are just useless bloodsucking slugs.
If you can read, thank a teacher. If you are not reading this in German, thank a veteran.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If you can read, thank a teacher. If you are not reading this in German, thank a veteran.

You need to credit your source. That's not original.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You need to credit your source. That's not original.
Nobody knows the original source. The phrase is public domain.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Bush had a helper.

Ted Kennedy and No Child Left Behind | The Education Front Blog | dallasnews.com

"There's probably not a better example of Ted Kennedy's skills as a legislator than his work on No Child Left Behind,"
People dont want to remember this part only to blame Bush for it!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:

I don't want to get into a military thread here, but I will mention our Veterans when active duty have no "collective bargaining power" because they become federal, not state employees. When FDR passed labor law legislation - he too was against public sector unionization. It really does not
represent the best interests of the taxpayer, if the
ones demanding the money, are pretty much a monopoly

The more recent conflicts fought AFTER World War II, did
nothing to benefit our country as a whole, nor for the
Veterans - but quite lucrative for military contractors -
as it is today. Our militarism is bankrupting us at a
federal level.

It's a shame we have the mentality of wanting to educate our children only to send them off to war, repeatedly.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:43 PM

570 posts, read 882,649 times
why is this thread so long? Please Close Mod. No one is going to read through 55 pages.

Also, if democrats didn't bribe every union member to vote for DEMOCRATS only, the republicans wouldn't feel the need to do this to unions. Maybe, unions should choose their friends more wisely next time.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,926 times
Quote:

Veterans of the WW2 agree with me. There are not that many left, unfortunately. Fountains of wisdom.
A few are my immediate relatives. Teachers ensure we as a nation exist at all in a century. At all.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If you compensate teachers with dismal benefits and pay, you will end up with teachers who are not the best in the country. Look at the poor quality of education in the southern states.
The state that spends the most on education is California.
It is also the third dumbest

The Smartest state Vermont, is ranked fifth from last in spending the least amount of money on education.

Internationally, we rank "average" as a nation.
America has received scores around 500 on a scale that goes up to 1,000: 487 in math, 500 in reading and 502 in science.

WI does get the number 2 spot as smartest, but the one elephant in the classroom for Wisconsin is that they are slow to close the achievement gap that African Americans face in schools (Milwaukee Public Schools) The average salary for an MPS teacher is $56,500. When fringe benefits are factored in, the annual compensation will be $100,005 in 2011.

Looks like the western states are dumber than the south

AR, AL, MS, LA, are not far behind the Midwest States
on SAT scores. In fact they do better than both the
east and west coast states.

The dumbest states ranked academically in 2010 ARE:

1. Nevada
2. Arizona
3. California
4. Hawaii
5. Alaska
6. Georgia
7. Mississippi
8. Alabama
9. Louisiana
10. New Mexico

The smartest states ranked academically in 2010 ARE:
1. Vermont
2. Wisconsin
3. Massachusetts
4. Iowa
5. Connecticut
6. Montana
7. New Jersey
8. Nebraska
9. Minnesota
10. Virginia

Which States Spend the Most on Education? - TheApple.com (http://theapple.monster.com/careers/articles/3196-which-states-spend-the-most-on-education - broken link)

The Dumbest States in America | Lifestyle | Mainstreet

Average MPS Teacher Compensation Tops $100k/year | MacIver Institute

SAT Scores by State |

Last edited by pollyrobin; 02-19-2011 at 01:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies