Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:53 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
That is a whole other topic!

well the topic of this thread is about the USA supplying firearms to mexico, when I dont think enough investigation has been done about the batf shuttling firearms across the border and their reasons for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 07:58 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well the topic of this thread is about the USA supplying firearms to mexico, when I dont think enough investigation has been done about the batf shuttling firearms across the border and their reasons for doing so.
Have you read up on Grassley's inquiries on this, very interesting.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Translation - "Man up" = "Buy gun".
No. Not at all. You are misunderstanding or trying to put words in my mouth.
I know there are many people who would never want to own a gun. That is fine. But they should not try to make the decision for others, or project their fears regarding guns on others or try to legislate gun control.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:22 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Why should any individual be able to buy 20 AK47s?
Because we live in a free country. You want to buy 20 cars? They kill thousands more a year than guns.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Have you read up on Grassley's inquiries on this, very interesting.

I have read some of it, seems to me it goes further than the fedgov is willing to let on.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
I am not speaking for the store owner, but I am one.

Often times there are signs, hints, clues that it is a straw sale. Loose lips sink ships as they say.

Long guns do not have to be called in to the BATFE, a 4473 is required but that is all that is required, it is up to the owner to call in a long gun or not.
Do you have any links that indicate where a FFL can sell a long gun without a NICS check? I am unaware of any exemption for long guns. The only time I know when the can be avoided are when the purchaser has a concealed weapons permit, in states where that is deemed proof of meeting NICS requirements, or where the individual state has a comparable system.

Here is the best link I've found about the NICS requirements:
ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Brady Law

Quote:
Q: Does the Brady law apply to the transfer of long guns as well as handguns?Yes.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:38 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'm interested in seeing the speech where Obama said he wants to stop people from buying guns.

Yes lots of Democrats are for gun control as well as some Republicans but I have yet to read where it is a Democratic agenda to take away everybody's guns.

You can thank the NRA for putting that fear in your head.

I can't believe how gullible some people are.
There is only ONE party that has been continually introducing for several decades oppressive gun control legislation in the US Congress and in state legislatures. Very few republicans have ever done so.

Agenda?
Quote:
Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe.
Dianne Feinstein
Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...#ixzz1EKIkiTqp
Nah, no agenda there.

The only reason it's gone on the back burner is because of what happpened to their party in 1994 after their so-called 1993 "Assault Weapons" Ban was passed .

Last edited by ScoPro; 02-18-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Mexican drug cartels shopping in Ariz. Thanks, NRA, Congress and Arizona.

Mexico Drug Cartels Getting Weapons from US :: WRAL.com
Because cartels with bottomless pockets and easy access to vast networks peddling all sorts of illegal goods would certainly go for neutered semi-auto AR-15s sold in US gun shops instead of real military hardware offered up on the black market for less money and less hassle.

YES most mexican cartels use guns made in the U.S. They are called COLT M-16's they get there mostly by virtue of sales to the Mexican military, where less-than-virtuous military members sell them off so they can afford a new pickup and extra tequilla, or maybe get their kids something to eat that didn't come from a dumpster. These guns are fully automatic or 3 shot burst and you would have a very rought time buying one in a US gun store, considering they are not even offered up for public sale.

This is called "media spin" and is out of touch with reality with an agenda to change public opinion towards more gun control with twisted, inaccurate facts.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Don't forget, full auto Class III rifles manufactured after 1986 are not sold to the American public. That drove up values for the several hundred thousand such weapons grandfathered in at that time.

From Wiki:

Quote:
Transferable machine guns made or registered before May-19th 1986 are worth far more than their original, pre-1986 value. And items like registered “auto-sears,” “lightning-links,” trigger-packs, trunnions, and other “combination of parts” registered as machineguns before the aforementioned date are often worth nearly as much as a full registered machine gun. For instance, as of September 2008, a transferable M16 rifle costs approximately $11,000 to $18,000, while a transferable "lightning-link" for the AR-15 can sell for $8,000 to $10,000. New manufacture M-16s sell to law enforcement and the military for around $600 to $1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies