Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well I'm dying to know what personal responsibility a group of sailors in international waters should have accepted when confronted by 19 armed pirates?

Or is this one of those threads where we bemoan women who because of the way they dressed or behaved deserved to be raped, or how some shop keeper who opened a business in a high crime area deserved to be shot dead during a robbery? Or perhaps I am just missing your "point" completely.
Yes, you miss the point completely.

The recognition that this is a dangerous world and the expectation of safety in an area specifically seeing a height in crimes of piracy is not only unrealistic but unwise. Some degree of precaution in making well informed choices is in order. Too many times idealistic Americans find themselves in precarious situations abroad because they fail to recognize such dangers.

Making responsibile choices is necessary for long term survival. The consequences for failing to do so are predictable with boring regularity. Yet, somehow, Americans never think it can happen to them.

Since you are intentually choosing to drive this topic off thread I would also say that business owners and residents in high crime areas have a duty to protect themselves instead of entirely relying on the police.

I am not being disrespectful of this foursome who were conducting missionary work in distributing bibles. Rather, pointing out that they were in a dangerous part of the world and that no different than relief workers in war zones, if they did no know the risks they should have.

Sadly, the outcome of this maritime hijacking and kidnapping was not entirely unexpected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 05:03 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
AMEN.

Anyone who has to let their politics determine their true feelings towards murdered innocents, by a bunch of unholy savages, are some really f'd up individuals
They call them dumb leftists who had no sense of personal responsibility, but these 'leftists' were Christians who were on a mission to distribute Bibles, and they were not stupid, since they were simply trying to get thorough the canal as opposed to sailing around the African continent.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 PM

1,935 posts, read 1,826,907 times
Why can't the captured pirates just go skinny dipping without the world knowing about it? The water is deep and filled with sea animals. If they swim back to shore good for them.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Totally insane
I agree, restrictions on sailors in particular with regards to firearms ownership IS insane.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,455,735 times
This is a sad story with a very sad ending.

I must confess though, I cannot understand why people would travel to a region that is known for its hostility, danger and high instance of hijacking. Their motives must have been good, but their common sense was missing.

You know, dont spit in the wind, dont pull on Superman's cape, dont mess around with...oh, you know.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,077,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes, you miss the point completely.
I don't think that I am missing anything but I do think that you are making some unwarranted assumptions.

Quote:
The recognition that this is a dangerous world and the expectation of safety in an area specifically seeing a height in crimes of piracy is not only unrealistic but unwise.
What gives you the right to ASSUME that four people with extensive sailing experience not only in the Pacific Ocean but in the Arabian see had some undue expectation of safety or weren't cognizant of the dangers of their travels?

Sometimes I wonder who are the wolves and who are the sheep, those who seek out new adventures or those who spend their time cowering in their suburban homes pontificating on the lack of personal responsibility of those who go out and embrace the world, dangers and all?

Quote:
Since you are intentually choosing to drive this topic off thread
I'm intentionally choosing to drive the thread off topic? WTF did personal responsibility have to do with the thread until you introduced it!

Quote:
I am not being disrespectful of this foursome who were conducting missionary work in distributing bibles. Rather, pointing out that they were in a dangerous part of the world and that no different than relief workers in war zones, if they did no know the risks they should have.
Since you wouldn't know these people from Adam, your assumptions about what they knew or should have known is exceedingly disrespectful. There isn't a single utterance from them or their families assailing the U.S. government for having failed to protect them. So I am not sorry for having thwarted your attempt to spin this into some Americans have grown to accustom to entitlements, need for personal responsibility, blah, blah, blah bull**** right wing rugged individualist rant.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,077,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I must confess though, I cannot understand why people would travel to a region that is known for its hostility, danger and high instance of hijacking.
Based upon my own experience of having covered two coups, three war zones and 5 hurricanes, it is because it is fun. Having said that, I can't for the life of me understand why people ride on roller coasters or climb Mt. Everest, but hey!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't think that I am missing anything but I do think that you are making some unwarranted assumptions.

What gives you the right to ASSUME that four people with extensive sailing experience not only in the Pacific Ocean but in the Arabian see had some undue expectation of safety or weren't cognizant of the dangers of their travels?

Sometimes I wonder who are the wolves and who are the sheep, those who seek out new adventures or those who spend their time cowering in their suburban homes pontificating on the lack of personal responsibility of those who go out and embrace the world, dangers and all?

I'm intentionally choosing to drive the thread off topic? WTF did personal responsibility have to do with the thread until you introduced it!

Since you wouldn't know these people from Adam, your assumptions about what they knew or should have known is exceedingly disrespectful. There isn't a single utterance from them or their families assailing the U.S. government for having failed to protect them. So I am not sorry for having thwarted your attempt to spin this into some Americans have grown to accustom to entitlements, need for personal responsibility, blah, blah, blah bull**** right wing rugged individualist rant.

I never stated they did not know. I stated if they did not, they should have. I realize that you take every opportunity to attack me personally here on CD but I suspect you did not know these people from Adam either, so who are you to presume what they knew or did not know either?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,488,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Their politics. Progressives place responsibility in collectivism and a large central government rather than personal responsibility and limited government. I would not be surprised if the victims from Seattle were friends/associates of my Progressive family members there. They probably belonged to the same yacht club.
If they were willing to set sail on a yacht with essentially limited outside support, then I imagine these individuals were probably examples of self-sufficiency and personal responsibility.

[they were out in the 'middle of nowhere' after all]

Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times
Now, we all know a US warship has been shadowing the hijacked yacht, but this would be awful if true.

Somali pirates who killed 4 Americans on hijacked yacht claim US Navy fired first | Mail Online

Pirates who killed four Americans on hijacked yacht claim U.S. Navy fired on them first

Quote:
The U.S. military today reacted with fury after the pirates who killed four Americans claimed the Navy shot at them first.

U.S. Navy officials had been negotiating with the pirates when, without warning, the bandits fired a rocket-propelled grenade at their warship.
I guess that's changed as well, negotiating with these scumbags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies