Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:28 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times

Advertisements

Retired from Law Enforcement with 2 degrees
Happily Married for 13 years and mother at 40
Believe in hard work
Saving money as a child and still save today
Avid Boater, music (guitars) and outdoors person
Would have loved to have a lanscaping business
From NY, lived in PA for 10 years and now in NC - and would never move back north
Love to read
Hate phony people and liars
Blessed to be alive
Love spending time with family and playing games
Not a follower
Generally upbeat and avoid negativ people
Love to cook
Have conserative views
Just started couponing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
25 years old
Born in Saudi Arabia, mom is from Cote d'Ivoire, raised in suburban SoCal, went to school in California, currently and English teacher in Seoul.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:24 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
I'm on a pivot in my life. Early 30's. Working full-time as an auditor. Going back to school for accounting/finance. In and out of a 12-yr relationship-looong story. Dating someone-loooooooonger story. Starting to freelance write on the side, but I have too many projects and it's really scattered and schizophrenic. Living day to day, paycheck to paycheck but at least I can do that and trying to be thankful for what I have. There is so much craziness in the world. It is what is is and I try to think there is order to the chaos... I don't know. Trying to convince myself there's a reason for all of this. My perspectives seem to broaden and open up more every day. I've been listening to nothing but Radiohead (and a bit of 90's grunge like Hole thrown in) for 2 months. That's my story today.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:02 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
49 and holding
Wife (20yrs)
Son (deployed to the sandbox)
Daughter (at home)
Utility Project Manager (non-union)
disabled vet (USN)
Subsisting farming, Horses, Guns,
liveing historian (when I can)
Oath Keeper
Promise keeper

Old 04-23-2011, 08:05 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
So what you are all saying is that you are all qualified for those McDonald's job openings.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:30 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Mid 30s
Married for 10 years
Medical Engineering and design
Masters in EE
Residential electrical work and generator work on the side
4 year old and 8 month old
I live in a very rural area North of Houston
4 dogs (want 1?)
Concealed handgun permit and handgun enthusiast.
Yes, I wish to speak to Mr. Philo Farnsworth.

I'm sorry, sir, but Mr. Farnsworth is abroad.

My good man, Mr. Farnsworth is as much a man as you or I.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:40 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Here are some Boston links.

MassHealth Transportation Services

To apply for Group Adult Foster Care, call the MassHealth Customer Service Center at 1-800-841-2900

If you qualify for Group Adult Foster Care, you will get these benefits:

* an individual care plan developed by a registered nurse and case manager
* ongoing monitoring of needs
* personal care services in your home each day
* medication management
* 24-hour access to services
* with prior approval, adult day health services or
health aide services.

Sure wish you could get yourself back to GA.
I make too much money to qualify for 95% of charities. Most of their baselines that you have to be under are only a little more than I pay in rent for a 3rd story walkup with roommates in a student ghetto.

If I went back to Georgia, I would not have insurance (my parents are both uninsured with their own health problems) and risk losing the ability to get insurance until 2014 when insurance is opened up for people with preexisting conditions. Not to mention that my parents can't afford to feed, clothe, and drive me to appointments and I don't have more than a month in savings.

Young adults with chronic and severe illnesses are very much left out to dry by our society. Too old to live with your parents, not old enough to have a family of your own to help care for you or have had the opportunity to save for a rainy day.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Late 30's married w/3 kids
Building Inspector with the family business and owner of a seperate business dealing with moisture/structural repairs in crawlspaces
Fiscal conservative, and could care less what you do with your personal lives provided I do not have to pay for it
Avid reader and Chess player
Classic car enthusiast
Bedroom rock star on guitar

I tend to vote with the R's and hope to one day have a viable 3rd party that more suits my ideals. I believe that throwing money at a problem is rarely the way to solve it correctly as there are too many with the character trait that prevents them from reaching goals if they have just enough to get by for free. In my ideal world, subsidizing the able would end so we can provide those that are TRULY disabled/in-need a very comfortable life.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Fifty-something medical imaging director, married 22 years, dog lover, big fan of classic comedy and pretty much any music except rap, trivia buff, love to cook/eat/drink, ecstatic Grandpa. Dilettante.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
I'm entering the seventh decade of my life and have been my husband's only caregiver for the past ten years when he was declared "a vegetable for the rest of his life". Fortunately, he's come a long way since then. I'm a published author of 40 magazine articles and I'm an aspiring book author. (Lost my book draft in a computer crash recently, but luckily I still have a hard copy. Ya, ya, I know I should have backed up my files. Some lessons I/we have to learn the hard way.) I worked full time from the time I was seventeen until my husband's disability, self-employed for most of those years. I dabble in the arts---my passion is portrait painting in oils. I earned the first three years of my college degree in the 60's and completed the rest of it in the 80's. We are living comfortably in a middle class neighborhood and hope that never has to change. We used to RV across the country whenever possible and I love the diversity that makes up our country. Currently I'm big-time addicted to play monopoly on my Kindle. One of my other hobbies is teaching our schnauzer the tricks involved in dog dancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies