Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:43 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

52 years old, divorced ten years, one child in college.

Same employer for 32 years. Procurement/bid and RFP processes.

Was able to buy own place (condo) for the first time last year.

Like to write, have been published a few times, doesn't look as if I'll be quitting the day job anytime soon. Working on a novel, isn't everyone?

Republican when young, then morphed to Republican for federal/Democrat for state and local, now I suppose I would be called independent, but basically, I think anybody who gets to a point where they are running for any office in this country is a self-serving crook by virtue of the fact that they've made it to the point where they are running for office. I despise them all for the most part.

I recently read the book Game Change, about the 2008 elections, starting with Hillary v. Obama, but also included Edwards, McCain/Palin, and the other also-rans. This made me realize that the behavior in US politics is not very different from the cliques you find in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 03:07 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Nude.

JK!

44 year-old
Conservative construction management consultant to the City of Boston. Live in Dorchester, which is a section of the city, where my Liberal wife of 6 years and I are majority minorities (We're white, the area is 60% black).
We live in a 3600 square foot shingle style Victorian that was not too expensive because it's in Dorchester.

In case anyone is wondering, we complete each other.

BTW, my name is based on the character from Lethal Weapon. I really felt Gary Busey stole the film.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:15 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,340,115 times
Early 20's
Single
African American
College Student/Part Time Employee
3 Older sisters/2 older brothers/2 younger brothers
I have a python
Basketball Fan
Amateur Boxer
Modern car enthusiast

theother is my alias I use it a lot. It's from the movie "The Others" starring Nicole Kidman.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 PM

839 posts, read 2,417,620 times
37 years old, garden variety white guy.

Plumber by trade, though I'm not employed in my field currently. Bet you thought plumbing was a recession proof industry, didn't you?

Married twice. First marriage was short, second is eight years and counting.

Four children

Used to live in a rural area, now live in Houston due to my wife's job. Texas is a fine state but I want to go home.

Love to shoot, mess around with old cars and tractors, and building stuff.

I enjoy reading and cooking.

Some issues I'm a conservative, other issues I'm a liberal, still others I'm a Libertarian.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,098,661 times
Retired early after 19 years in hell

Dropped out of high School in the 10th grade and went to work as a Mechanic...

Im a natural, I can fix anything mechanical...

Im self taught...

But that job doesn't pay the bills...

So I started work at a Steel forge shop as a Hammer helper for $7.50 an hour...

Made it up to Blacksmith after 5 years and I was damn good at it and I enjoyed it...

It was a unique place to work in that it was 100% employee owned...

They gave us shares of privately held stock in the company based on our yearly income.....

If the company did well you would do well was the motto and they had just started this ESOP not long before I started there...

Well we competed with several union shops that paid much more...

We kicked their ass and eventually took over the competition...

I watched this company go through unbelievable growth, at the same time I watched the stock price go exponential

In fact in the 19 years I was there it never went down...

It got to the point where I had enough in stock I was making several times my "Wages" on that stock

It was very hard backbreaking hot dirty work...

By the time I was 38 I just didn't want to work that hard anymore...

Around that time they came up with the workplace smoking ban...

It was rediculous, this whole place was on fire non stop with steel dust and diesel smoke flying everywhere not to mention the HUGE fans we needed just to try to keep cool...

That and the fact that all the other Oldtimers were rich too and they were taking the $$$ and running made my decision easy

No regrets leaving at 39 and Im 42 now making much more on conservative investments than my old Wages were...

I have enough guns and Ammo to be on the DHS watch list...

I enjoy Drag racing and Old Muscle cars...

I also like boating a lot...

Im single right now and I have no kids and I don't want any

Old 05-29-2011, 01:14 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
24 year old male.

B.A. in Language and International Studies, svmma cvm lavde, with minor in Spanish, 2006-2010. Dad died first semester; got a 4.0 for that semester.

Currently unemployed.

Diagnosed with malignant brain tumor (Oligodendroglioma Grade II) in October 2009. Had surgery that month; needed speech therapy (I was aphasic), occupational therapy, and physical therapy; and chemotherapy; however, completed my major and minor on time.

Was applying for graduate school at the time; did not take the GRE as the date I had planned on taking the test coincided with my treatment. Got letters of recommendation for the '11-'12 year, but a misunderstanding about the test put me past the deadline.

Dreams of working in a foreign service post have been crushed due to the Medical Clearance form. Ditto with Peace Corps and teaching English abroad. My future plans are in a sort of crisis.

Was employed at our family business until it went under at the beginning of the year. Second story of house, where I live, was site of fire in July 2010; luckily, all my things were spared, but unfortunately due to theft and an organizational nightmare I don't know where half my things are. Lived at home and continue to live at home, which is currently a toxic environment (example: both the cars I want to sell to get a head start are missing - they were loaned out by my brother to potential buyers, who never returned them). As a result, I'm broke (was going to sell my car to have some cushion when I returned from my trip to Mexico to "maintain" my Spanish; we were going to sell the old camper to make a few house and electricity payments), we're broke (nobody here works; my mother is mentally ill from the store's last year), and I essentially live in my room, occasionally leaving it for a four-mile walk. We live in a very rural area.

I have hobbies, or used to, but my camera was stolen after I came back from Mexico from my new bedroom. My scanner was probably stolen, too. Bicycling, which I enjoy, has been hampered this season by a lack of funds for bike repairs, which would actually be quite simple (other than the seat and seat post replacement - they took that as well).

My quality of life has declined from "Good to Excellent" the summer before surgery to "Poor" now.

Basically, all I do is eat, sleep, and go on City-Data and Facebook to interact with my friends from Mexico. The only real pleasure I get is when I take my Ambien each night and feel a sort of optimism and relaxation that I miss from the good 'ol pre-diagnosis days.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:19 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
23 year old recent college grad working in administration at the university I graduated from. Was about to start an MBA program at said university in the very specific field I want to enter once the economy gets better, but was diagnosed with cancer a month after my 23rd birthday. Now I am living day to day, unsure how I will pay my medical bills even with no college loans or debt and decent insurance. I cannot go home to where I will have a caretaker because I would lose both my income and my insurance. My father is a 99er and my mother has a master's degree but barely makes above minimum wage at a daycare. They can be of no financial help to me nor can they afford to come be with me during the surgery I will need immediately before starting treatment (getting a port put in next week) or during treatment. I am in pretty much the worst place a cancer patient can be in- I have no caretakers, no reliable way to get to appointments/treatment (I rely on public transit which is great when you don't have to go an hour and a half each way to get to your chemo appointments), and am extremely stressed out about money.

I live in an urban suburb of Boston with a professor roommate who also does not have a car. Born in Mass, lived in Georgia from age 2 to 18, returned to Georgia briefly after college to job hunt.

Basically, all of this makes me extremely angry. I was the picture of health before my diagnosis- and even today, I feel fine, just happen to have cancer raging through my lymph nodes. It makes me incredibly angry that I have done everything right in my life thus far- saved money, graduated from a top ranked college with no debt, got a job that would be decent if it was in any part of the country but here (though I was willing and did move 1000 miles to take "what I could get"), hold no credit card debt, etc etc can be going through this financially. In a developed country, we should not have 23 year olds worrying about receiving chemo while living in a homeless shelter because of the costs of treatment and the time needed to take off of work.
As a 23 year old can't you be on your parent's insurance?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
75 year old retired RN. Graduated University of Texas in 1958. Had a 40 year career. Two boys, now in their mid-40's. Married once. DH died in 1983. Never remarried. Liberal in early years but became more and more conservative as time passed. Today enjoy a quiet life in rural area of Nebraska close to grandchildren. Like to garden and do a lot of canning and dehydrating of my garden produce. No formal or organized religious affiliation. I am blessed with reasonably good health and still do a little traveling every year with friends.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:48 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
53 years old
Power plant tech.
Married 33 years, Two son's
Outdoorsman, Fishing, camping, hunting, motorcycles, travel and much more.
Never a dull moment.
Never take anything I say too serious it's just for entertainment.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
60 y/o (soon to be 61) widow, retired when I qualified for SS based on late husband's work record. Only debt is very small mortgage. SS covers all bills and other needs. Pension gives a little for needed repairs/replacements and a little for 'extras'. My actual income may be relatively small (especially compared to what husband used to bring home) but as I'm living how I want and where I want, I actually feel 'rich' compared to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies