Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 PM

446 posts, read 649,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
In the dictionary under "crock of crap" is where your explanation resides.
Also, under "hilarity". In my case, I spewed a combo of Big Red and fish bits over my desk laughing when I saw that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So what does Reid think qualifies as acting black? Sitting on your car porch eating watermelon and spitting the seeds out?
I think Reid was worried about Obama's low level of Ebonics utilization. Oh well, Reid will just have to remain happy making his AA slaves at Five Guys, Starbucks and other local establishments in DC serve him and his white colleagues.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I consider myself to be conservative. I am not apart of any party but I would call myself libertarian if I absolutely had to choose a party.

Nevertheless, if you reveal to other blacks that you're conservative, all hell breaks loose.

I don't go around talking politics, but I don't want to get bashed when I mention I am a conservative to other blacks.

Any advice on how to handle this?
Many blacks that I know are God fearing and Christian, which by being a Christian, makes them conservative on abortion, gay marriage, etc. But there seems to be a general understanding for them that the Democratic Party is the party that's all inclusive, willing to help the little man, shows more compassion towards the poor, or people who have mad poor choices, and down on their luck. With that said, I left the Democratic Party, and started a thread on why I left the party, and for the life of me, I don't understand how anyone black can openly say that the Democratic Party has done anything for black Americans especially since the 1990s, but the Democratic Party makes promises that it doesn't keep, and uses the race card, when necessary to get people all riled up over nothing.

I am quite blunt with my family as to why I left the Democratic pary, and to my surprise my family all agreed with me. As a Christian, I am conservative on abortion and gay marriage. I am a registered INDEPENDENT.

I think that the government needs to stay out of our business and let people govern their lives.

My mom who has always voted Democratic, agreed with me when I told her why I couldn't be part of the Democratic Party or Republican Party. I would just say that when you tell someone that you are conservative, maybe you need to preface it with what the Democratic Party hasn't done, and use people like Maxine Waters, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson as primary Democratic leaders who only come out when race issues are in the news. Isn't it funny that you never hear them discuss the high dropout rate of our black children, black gangs killing each other, and the break down of the black family due to the higher percentage of black children being born to single moms etc.?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:31 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Just tell them you do not want to be USED. Democrats only USE blacks for votes. The proof that they really care little about blacks? Look at the way any black that does not walk in lock-step with them and has a mind of their own, gets attacked and called names..

Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
You might talk about the real-world meaning of "conservative" as you see it--instead of using the label, which apparently is toxic in circles you are a part of.

I don't know if these examples even come close, but they might give you the drift of what I am trying to say:

"I believe everyone should peddle instead of some just coasting."

"I believe people should make their own way, find a way to make money and take care of themselves and their families."

"I don't think the government should be providing things that people should provide for themselves."

Maybe the specifics of your philosophy would be less objectionable than the label "conservative." Or maybe it takes a long time to find enough fellow black conservatives or libertarians. Herman Cain is proof that there must be another one out there.
I am not black but find Herman Cain to be one man I could vote for if he could get the nomination. I think the way he does and could easily support him.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I consider myself to be conservative. I am not apart of any party but I would call myself libertarian if I absolutely had to choose a party.

Nevertheless, if you reveal to other blacks that you're conservative, all hell breaks loose.

I don't go around talking politics, but I don't want to get bashed when I mention I am a conservative to other blacks.

Any advice on how to handle this?
Tell them you are a libertarian.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
In the dictionary under "crock of crap" is where your explanation resides.
What kind of dictionary do you use where you can find the term, "crock of crap"? I don't know that dictionary.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Many blacks that I know are God fearing and Christian, which by being a Christian, makes them conservative on abortion, gay marriage, etc. But there seems to be a general understanding for them that the Democratic Party is the party that's all inclusive, willing to help the little man, shows more compassion towards the poor, or people who have mad poor choices, and down on their luck. With that said, I left the Democratic Party, and started a thread on why I left the party, and for the life of me, I don't understand how anyone black can openly say that the Democratic Party has done anything for black Americans especially since the 1990s, but the Democratic Party makes promises that it doesn't keep, and uses the race card, when necessary to get people all riled up over nothing.

I am quite blunt with my family as to why I left the Democratic pary, and to my surprise my family all agreed with me. As a Christian, I am conservative on abortion and gay marriage. I am a registered INDEPENDENT.

I think that the government needs to stay out of our business and let people govern their lives.

My mom who has always voted Democratic, agreed with me when I told her why I couldn't be part of the Democratic Party or Republican Party. I would just say that when you tell someone that you are conservative, maybe you need to preface it with what the Democratic Party hasn't done, and use people like Maxine Waters, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson as primary Democratic leaders who only come out when race issues are in the news. Isn't it funny that you never hear them discuss the high dropout rate of our black children, black gangs killing each other, and the break down of the black family due to the higher percentage of black children being born to single moms etc.?
I remember discussing your political thinking with you and having to agree with you on almost everything you said here. We need more people like you no matter what their skin color is.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What kind of dictionary do you use where you can find the term, "crock of crap"? I don't know that dictionary.
Ask and you shall receive. www.urbandictionary.com look it up.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:45 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Just tell them you do not want to be USED. Democrats only USE blacks for votes. The proof that they really care little about blacks? Look at the way any black that does not walk in lock-step with them and has a mind of their own, gets attacked and called names..

As opposed to the way blacks who are democrats have been characterized in this thread?

All y'all suck. Being patronizing towards black people is not the domain of either side.

That said, to the OP... avoid using the word "conservative" until you've explained your views, maybe? I think most of the time, what people are afraid of is that you are going to be a self-loathing stoolie that denies the existence of racism. If they can see that's not the case, then they will calm down if they have any sense whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies