Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:55 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I get a kick out of Tempest talking about pay cuts when Wisconsin asks them to contribute a bit toward their pensions. They surely don't seem to understand anything from any source other than their union leaders.
The unions are stepping up to the plate and willing to take pretty big paycuts, they are against the removal of their collective bargaining rights, essentially crushing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:55 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
WTH has HCR got to do with this?

As for union members, they are tax payers like you. And like you, they would also like to maximize their benefits. And for that, they have chosen to form a voice representing their interests. This voice takes those interests to the governing body who has the responsibility of managing the budgets. The rest of the tax payers at that point have as much control over it as politicians deciding how they want to use, distribute and manage tax payer dollars. Or do you think I, as a tax payer, should have full control on where the government should spend the money?

The same applies to private unions. It affords a body to take workers' voice to the management. I've been on the side opposite unions through out my career, and have personally engaged on occasions. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of money managers, not tax payers or consumers, to negotiate.
Do you even know what you are talking about? All too often your posts are just full of garbage and gibberish that doesn't mean a damn thing. As far as CB goes in the public sector, the tax payers are NOT represented and have absolutely no say until they vote in a guy to take this problem on, which they did. How can you say CB is fair to the tax payer when they don't get to have any say whatsoever in the process? Yes, you are correct, public union members are tax payers too, but they don't pay enough taxes to cover their own slaries, so the public at large pays the bulk of their salary and their benefits. In a private sector union, the PRIVATE company pays all of that not the tax payer. It's a completely different thing.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The unions are stepping up to the plate and willing to take pretty big breaks in pay, they are against the removal of their collective bargaining rights, essentially crushing them.
They are not taking a pay cut. Where did you get that from?

Old 02-25-2011, 01:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Commentary: Koch brothers and the union-busting Kansas House | McClatchy

Republicans are definitely sticking it to the middle class people. IMO they are cutting their throats down the line. There will always be another election.
I do not see it that way. Civil service workers work for taxpayers. The elected leaders have to respond to the taxpayer in cutting down expenses. They have a budget to deal with. It has nothing to do with middle class. It has to do with a state budget. Something has to give. From what I have read teachers salary is much higher than the average wages of the taxpayers and they want more? Take care.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:02 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Fascism is not a synonym for dictatorship. Fascism is governance via/for corporate interests. It is why fascism has been at odds with union.
Workers should be free both to join unions and to refrain from joining unions. Wouldn't you agree with that statement?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They are not taking a pay cut. Where did you get that from?
Google.com It's common knowledge.

The unions have accepted everything Walker has proposed except for the union-crushing part of the bill trying to remove their collective bargaining rights.
While the right are getting bankrolled and raises, the unions are being the bigger people here. All walker has to do is say he'll bargain and let them keep their rights, and the democratic senators will come back and pass the bill.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Google.com It's common knowledge.

The unions have accepted everything Walker has proposed except for the union-crushing part of the bill trying to remove their collective bargaining rights.
While the right are getting bankrolled and raises, the unions are being the bigger people here. All walker has to do is say he'll bargain and let them keep their rights, and the democratic senators will come back and pass the bill.
What paycuts? The imaginary ones in your head or the imaginary mention of paycuts in your post?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:17 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,206,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Commentary: Koch brothers and the union-busting Kansas House | McClatchy

Republicans are definitely sticking it to the middle class people. IMO they are cutting their throats down the line. There will always be another election.

That is just not true and most people, if they are willing to read for themselves, will agree the unions are a huge problem and I for one want to see them brought them down, it is bull crap that they spend hundreds of millions of dollars a year on the democrats they can stuff in their fat pockets and the good folks around the country are begining to see what scumb bags they are, they could care less about the members, it is all about power and $$$$$$$
YES, there will be another election and I am counting the days!!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
What paycuts? The imaginary ones in your head or the imaginary mention of paycuts in your post?
I know it's rough just to type basic words into google, so here you go, took all of about 15 seconds

Republicans reject offer by unions to compromise on concessions - BizTimes (http://www.biztimes.com/daily/2011/2/18/republicans-reject-offer-by-unions-to-compromise-on-concessions - broken link)

""I have been informed that all state and local public employees – including teachers - have agreed to the financial aspects of Governor
Walker's request"

Old 02-25-2011, 02:18 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Workers should be free both to join unions and to refrain from joining unions. Wouldn't you agree with that statement?
I do. But at the same time, I believe people should be educated about its pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies