Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,636,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No, but unions stand for what benefits the middle class.
They do no such thing, especially in the public sector. They run over taxpayer with mob action making demands that can't be funded and refusing to admit it when the bank accounts run dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 02:40 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,839,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
you do? Even the ones making 25-30k/yr? Really?
I don't keep up with salaries of union members (I've heard conservatives are pretty good at it, you should ask them). But $25-30K/year doesn't sound poor, considering that about half of working Americans (25 years or older) make less than that.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,821,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
NO!
Walker is right not to cave into this crap!!
They tie up all sorts of loop holes when they go to the table, if our new Gov here in Georgia does not stand up to the teachers union, he will be voted out real quick
I am sick of these leaches!!
I hope the democrats stay where they are and get recalled, the blazing sons of *******
let the vote be carried out with out them
this is bull holding a state hostage, Walker should have fired them all and send out the lay offs and let the chips fall where they may
this is not going to be over there, this is going all over our country, let the democrats show what bozos they are right along with the clown-in chief,
Obama
Wow,... check out the impressive tea party attendance at the recent pro-union pro-america protest. The pro-union attendance was in the 100's, tea party, about 40 and this is rootin' tootin' guns n' bibles georgia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La3Qsek422Q

Old 02-25-2011, 02:42 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,839,819 times
Quote:
Who put GM into the hole they were/are in?
GM Management.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:44 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,464,756 times
Quote:
I don't keep up with salaries of union members (I've heard conservatives are pretty good at it, you should ask them). But $25-30K/year doesn't sound poor, considering that about half of working Americans (25 years or older) make less than that.
That doesn't make them middle class. Also, I think your numbers are wrong. The average salary in the US is 50k per adult PERSON.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM

47 posts, read 22,651 times
Quote:
Only union workers are middle class?
It seems to me that if they keep up screwing America it won't be long until they reach the dreaded $250,000 divide between the "people" and the "evil rich".

Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
GM Management.
Yeah, ok. I see you are just a big government union shill. You have just dumped all of your credibility if you had any left.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Fan View Post
It seems to me that if they keep up screwing America it won't be long until they reach the dreaded $250,000 divide between the "people" and the "evil rich".
Some are already there.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
That is an excuse used since the existence of unions. It was an excuse used in the 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s.
Well, then it is a good one - isn't it

Union Membership in U.S. Fell to a 70-Year Low Last Year

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/business/22union.html

Old 02-25-2011, 02:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
WTH has HCR got to do with this?

As for union members, they are tax payers like you. And like you, they would also like to maximize their benefits. And for that, they have chosen to form a voice representing their interests. This voice takes those interests to the governing body who has the responsibility of managing the budgets. The rest of the tax payers at that point have as much control over it as politicians deciding how they want to use, distribute and manage tax payer dollars. Or do you think I, as a tax payer, should have full control on where the government should spend the money?

The same applies to private unions. It affords a body to take workers' voice to the management. I've been on the side opposite unions through out my career, and have personally engaged on occasions. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of money managers, not tax payers or consumers, to negotiate.
What money manager would you recommend in the
federal government today

I think there is a connection between opinions on
Health Care e.g. universal health care and those
in public sector unions.

Since they barely pay for their insurance (I know some
pay up to 15 percent) they really don't have a clue what
it really costs. The popularity for universal health care could take a shift in it's favor if more public
sector folks had to carry their load - like the self
employed and many private sector already do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies