Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
This man was silent during the Bush years, like all the rest of the Republicans. Where was the outrage to the spending that Bush was doing? Why ignore that reality and its collosal negative impact to slash the living daylights out of education? Education was ignored during the Bush years, now he wants to slash it, pretending as if the GOP didn't bring us to this mess? This is the beginning of the end to the GOP. I sense a total annihilation of Republican candidates come 2012. Way to eliminate yourselves, Pubs.

Wis. governor: Ax $900 million from education - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com
I think sensible shoes republicans are going to have to make a decided divorce from radical slime tactics the same way dems had to when radical liberals were out of control of themselves. We need legitimate consideration of conservative view brought to the table, not war games, power grabs, and contribution to dysfunction plaguing congress. Conservatives are inarticulate and empty handed with suggestions. They've animated themselves destructively and as far as I'm concerned Dems are having to be both Dem and Repub because what they're up against is totalitarianism applied to the masses, carte blanche issued to oligarch class. Anarchist groups believing themselves righteous are only playing into the hands of those who mean us to part with sovereignty. Anarchy as purist ideology has the same shelf life of a quark in reality-- same fate as communism or pacifism.

The endurance of this nation can be attributed to our commitment to healthy checks and balances. They've been compromised and/or neglected along the way. The higher calling of professions has been breached & turned into something hideous. While I don't mean to see 200 more government agencies concocted, nor do I mean to see a million page omnibus bill, addressing the need to restore the health of our constitution is paramount if America is to regain her health. Our constitution has not been properly upheld in context of unimaginable technological leaps. I think all sides of the aisle can agree-- the way government has gone about solving things leaves something to be desired. We need more intellectual tools to cope with modernity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
I understand the prediction, but it really is going to depend on how this works out for the state over the years. If the budget is balanced and the economic situation looks better, he'll be elected again. If not, he's done. The same is true for President Obama.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:30 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Spending on education the US is not out of line with spending in other countries.

http://www.oclc.org/reports/escan/images/edpercent.swf
Worldwide education and library spending [OCLC]

Education spending as a % of GDP
9.5% Saudi Arabia
6.8% Norway
6.2% Malaysia
5.8% France
5.7% South Africa
5.4% Canada
5.1% Columbia
5.0% Hungary
4.8% USA
4.7% Australia
4.6% Italy
4.5% UK
4.5% Germany
4.5% Spain
4.4% Mexico
4.2% Chile
4.1% India
3.1% Sri Lanka
3.8% Brazil
2.2% China
1.9% UAE

Nice try. On a per capita basis, which is all that matters, how much is spent per student we are #1. Of course as a % of GDP it will be smaller than other countries since our GDP is huge.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Scott Walker rightly perceives that public education is a waste of money.
of course he does, he doesn't even have a college degree! Fact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Scott Walker and the WI state Republicans campaigned on this very issue.
taking away collective bargaining rights? NO they did not.

they did campaign on making cuts to benefits for some state workers and the workers agreed to that. the uproar came re: coll. bar. rights.

oh, btw, why is it that police, fire, strate troopers, and sherriff deputies are exempt from benefit cutbacks?

oh yeah, that's b/c they largely vote for republicons. Hypocrites!

Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
What's so hard to understand about the straw that broke the camel's back? The limit has finally been reached. If they weren't broken he probably wouldn't be acting...but he has to.

Until you liberal dems realize that the party is over there will be conflict.
Everything Republicans have animated themselves to do since fiat currency was the intentional destruction of America. You've inflicted yourselves enough on this family. Does that mean I hate REAL republicans? No. Does that mean I hate REAL conservatives? No. It means these faux posers infiltrating our government under the cloak of republican need to be rooted out permanently. They've made themselves students of your habits, your attitudes, what motivates republican carrot and stick, and they've systematically turned you against your wife, your children, your best interests, and the proper defense of his country true patriots are obliged to serve. Please see the American sword abused abroad on a fools errand as evidence of this grand deception perpetrated upon conservatives. Sorry if it hurts your pride, but it's truth. Own these mistakes, swallow your pride, chart a better course for health and above all refrain from declaring war on your children. You're a very ill man. Get well soon. We need 'dad' to grow the hell up already.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Nice try. On a per capita basis, which is all that matters, how much is spent per student we are #1. Of course as a % of GDP it will be smaller than other countries since our GDP is huge.
Sorry, you're wrong and Gary is right. Our economy is not the same as Saudi Arabia. One way or another teachers are paid based on economic reality on the ground and so the statistics are honest. Dollar for dollar means very little when you consider too that our dollar is untethered to material reality valuations. Our entire monetary system is existential, therein lies the fatal flaw in 500 theories of economics tripping over themselves trying to make sense of reality. Milton Friedman included, he was not immune. Our monetary system is smoke and mirrors. PT Barnum on steroids hybridized with master illusionists hybridized with sociopathic megolomaniacs. Western civilization can ask itself-- how's that working out for you?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:47 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
GOP could be, as Merle Haggard says, "rollin down hill, like a snowball headed for ..." thanks to Walker.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I think sensible shoes republicans are going to have to make a decided divorce from radical slime tactics the same way dems had to when radical liberals were out of control of themselves. We need legitimate consideration of conservative view brought to the table, not war games, power grabs, and contribution to dysfunction plaguing congress. Conservatives are inarticulate and empty handed with suggestions. They've animated themselves destructively and as far as I'm concerned Dems are having to be both Dem and Repub because what they're up against is totalitarianism applied to the masses, carte blanche issued to oligarch class. Anarchist groups believing themselves righteous are only playing into the hands of those who mean us to part with sovereignty. Anarchy as purist ideology has the same shelf life of a quark in reality-- same fate as communism or pacifism.

The endurance of this nation can be attributed to our commitment to healthy checks and balances. They've been compromised and/or neglected along the way. The higher calling of professions has been breached & turned into something hideous. While I don't mean to see 200 more government agencies concocted, nor do I mean to see a million page omnibus bill, addressing the need to restore the health of our constitution is paramount if America is to regain her health. Our constitution has not been properly upheld in context of unimaginable technological leaps. I think all sides of the aisle can agree-- the way government has gone about solving things leaves something to be desired. We need more intellectual tools to cope with modernity.
I've never been called a "sensible shoes" republican before, but I guess it's a pretty accurate description for the moderate R's.

I think we need a strong two party system to make good decisions in this country--I don't think it does the country any good if we gut the campaign power of the democrats, because government works better for the people when elected leaders have to hash out ideas and be held accountable for them. I don't want all democrats, or all republicans in power. It doesn't work. When one party goes too far, they face a backlash. It happened to the liberals after the 60's, and I think it's going to happen to conservatives now.

Here's the big problem for electing moderates in the GOP right now though--the primaries are pretty much controlled by the radical end of the base. Unless more moderates (and many have become swing voters who only participate in general elections) start turning out, it's not going to change. The other problem is money--if big business is supporting candidates, they want candidates who support big business. That's where the money is. Until we can pull together some kind of campaign finance reform that addresses the unlimited support from corporations, it's not going to change. See the problem?

Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Sorry, you're wrong and Gary is right. Our economy is not the same as Saudi Arabia. One way or another teachers are paid based on economic reality on the ground and so the statistics are honest. Dollar for dollar means very little when you consider too that our dollar is untethered to material reality valuations. Our entire monetary system is existential, therein lies the fatal flaw in 500 theories of economics tripping over themselves trying to make sense of reality. Milton Friedman included, he was not immune. Our monetary system is smoke and mirrors. PT Barnum on steroids hybridized with master illusionists hybridized with sociopathic megolomaniacs. Western civilization can ask itself-- how's that working out for you?

LOL, I am afraid you are wrong, per capita spending is the key indicator here. The rest of your post is incoherent mumbo jumbo.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
If the unions agreed to the deal, then why didn't they sign on the dotted line and go back to work?
I already answered that question, if you either refuse to see it or are too slow to grasp it then there is nothing more I can do for you. I know it it is the first, but you can pick whichever one you prefer.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies